just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
Does anyone find certain human behaviour strange / baffling / off-putting? Things like dancing doesn't make sense to me, it's just people wriggling their bodies and then sometimes they make it sexual and some people wriggle their bodies better than others . Also people knocking their glasses together in agreement that they'll all say the same word or at the very least, a positive uplifting word. How would they react if I touched my glass against theirs and said "death to all!"?

• Yay!
Reactions: TapeMachine, pthnrdnojvsc, 4am and 10 others
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
How would they react if I touched my glass against theirs and said "death to all!"?
now i want to go to an event with someone (someone "like us", and in on it) just so i can do this XD

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Hollowman, ClownWorld2023, doormat25 and 4 others
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
  • Yay!
Reactions: nux_walpurgis, Iris Blue, Freyja13 and 5 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
the weird phantom kiss on the cheek thing that people do as a greeting is very upsetting

• Love
Reactions: TapeMachine, TheSpookyNameGuy, iamalreadydead and 4 others
I Can't Say

I Can't Say

Oct 21, 2023
Things like dancing doesn't make sense to me, it's just people wriggling their bodies
Intellectually, I understand that moving around can be fun, but I just can't feel it. Took dance classes for a bit. Didn't get it.

Also, there are those wretchedly heartwarming "Strange Planet" comics you see everywhere.

Reactions: sserafim and just_a_guy
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
like @NumbItAll said the "kiss" on the cheek where u just press ur cheeks together and make a kiss sound is so weird i hate it so much. basically any introduction ritual that isnt just saying hello i hate, especially with strangers, i dont want to touch strangers, definitely not their gross hands or face.

Reactions: Lostandlooking, sserafim and just_a_guy
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
@cgrtt.brns and @NumbItAll , along the same lines as that is how we say "pleased to meet you" when we meet someone even though we don't have enough information at that point to say whether we actually are pleased to meet that person

Reactions: TapeMachine, Lostandlooking, Sprite_Geist and 3 others
SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I didn't expect to read that honestly, after that title.
Because when I think about weird rituals, I mostly think about religious stuff.

Reactions: loopdaloop, Unhumanly., sserafim and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Does anyone find certain human behaviour strange / baffling / off-putting? Things like dancing doesn't make sense to me, it's just people wriggling their bodies and then sometimes they make it sexual and some people wriggle their bodies better than others . Also people knocking their glasses together in agreement that they'll all say the same word or at the very least, a positive uplifting word. How would they react if I touched my glass against theirs and said "death to all!"?
Yeah, honestly I don't get people at all. Humans seem like a foreign species to me. I don't understand their habits or behavior. I think that I'm on the wrong planet. I keep seeing commercials for DWTS lately and honestly dancing is so weird to watch. I listen to kpop but I don't watch the dance or performances because it just looks strange to me. I don't understand dancing.
@cgrtt.brns and @NumbItAll , along the same lines as that is how we say "pleased to meet you" when we meet someone even though we don't have enough information at that point to say whether we actually are pleased to meet that person
Those are just fake social niceties and pleasantries. I feel like there's a lot of fakeness in social interaction. There's almost an artificial quality to it. I don't like these rules or customs and they don't seem genuine to me.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4am, iamalreadydead, just_a_guy and 2 others
R

randal_bond

Me encantaria practicar ES con Hispanohablantes.
Oct 23, 2018
I would say small talk is the top of my list. I understand that it's supposed to aid social interaction but you can interact when you have something to say. You don't have to interact beyond polite "hello". Works well in Ukraine and Russia.
It really does my head in to think of what to say each time not to appear rude or like I ignore people.

As for toasting death, it depends on what is in the cup. May be completely appropriate.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns, just_a_guy, I Can't Say and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I would say small talk is the top of my list. I understand that it's supposed to aid social interaction but you can interact when you have something to say. You don't have to interact beyond polite "hello". Works well in Ukraine and Russia.
It really does my head in to think of what to say each time not to appear rude or like I ignore people.

As for toasting death, it depends on what is in the cup. May be completely appropriate.
Honestly I hate small talk so much. I find it so pointless and meaningless.

Reactions: leavingthesoultrap, 4am, just_a_guy and 4 others
R

randal_bond

Oct 23, 2018
Join the club.

Reactions: sserafim
spirol

spirol

Dec 19, 2022
planning to have children must just be done for traditional/ritualistic/coercive reasons now. expecting a child born in 2023 to grow up having a happy life requires the parents to be severely delusional and/or ignorant, i think. perhaps i'm being pessimistic, but i don't think many people have children for the sake of the child.

Reactions: cgrtt.brns, just_a_guy, Lostandlooking and 2 others
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
planning to have children must just be done for traditional/ritualistic/coercive reasons now. expecting a child born in 2023 to grow up having a happy life requires the parents to be severely delusional and/or ignorant, i think. perhaps i'm being pessimistic, but i don't think many people have children for the sake of the child.
I recently watched the ABC News 20/20 special about Baby Holly. She has 5 children, and she said that "family makes life worth living for". I think that people find a sense of enjoyment and fulfillment in their children but never considered the fact that maybe the child didn't want to be born? (like in my case). I asked my mom why she had me and she said "because I wanted to". I think people have children for their own selfish desires, as well as to meet societal expectations. I also don't think that people have children for the sake of the child.

Last edited:
Reactions: doormat25 and spirol
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
Made me think of this:
IMG 2833

• Yay!
Reactions: just_a_guy and sserafim
Unhumanly.

Unhumanly.

Recovery are not the winner.
Feb 24, 2023
Yes, some human gesture and body language weird me out, even a simple gesture of strangers putting a big smile to greet me used to weird me out, all that's in my mind was to wonder who is this person I don't know randomly smiles at me?, though now I try to adapt to it

If this talk more than human gesture/behavior but an actual ritual, there's more weirder things I know , as a person that lives in a place that have religious side to it

Reactions: just_a_guy and sserafim
uncat_

uncat_

aspiring corpse
Nov 3, 2023
Humans seem like a foreign species to me.
damn, reminds me of 'No Longer Human' or 'Earthlings'
i feel the same way, i think i was put on the wrong planet. or wasn't even supposed to exist at all. humans are terrifying and confusing.

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu, sserafim, just_a_guy and 1 other person
DearMe

DearMe

Let’s have tea together.
Nov 6, 2023
it's not that strange. Isn't it just a culture? I mean, the reason why there are rituals in the first place is to keep humans out of boredom and think of it as a special day - just like what religion does to us to firm our beliefs and keep striving to move forward: Be affectionate, be merry, be entertaining, etc.

Reactions: Left
Left

Left

4 Dead 3 please release.
Oct 13, 2023
the weird phantom kiss on the cheek thing that people do as a greeting is very upsetting
What about kissing in general? It seems very bizarre when you remove its cultural lenses.

Reactions: sserafim, Lostandlooking and just_a_guy
just_a_guy

just_a_guy

thispersondoesnotexist
Oct 27, 2023
What about kissing in general? It seems very bizarre when you remove its cultural lenses.

well now that I saw it like that I'll have to add it to my list. Thanks for ruining kissing for me :hihi:

NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018

Yeah, kissing is objectively disgusting when you remove the element of attraction. I do enjoy it though. 🙈 But at least it's not compulsory.

Reactions: just_a_guy
R

randal_bond

Oct 23, 2018
Yes, people kiss because they enjoy it, because it produces oxytocin and makes them feel connected emotionally. It may look gross but it feels good. The same as many other things in our life. Going to the toilet and emptying your bowels is gross, digesting delicious food and producing gasses, viewed through X-ray, is gross. So what? Don't like it - don't look.
More difficult when social airs and graces are expected from you, and you're judged, rejected, ignored or laughed at if you don't adopt them.

As for antinatalists, I understand why they're doing it. One feels better blaming somebody else for their sufferings. It momentarily takes attention from your pain, distracts you. But at the end of the day, it's a road to nowhere. It just feels good in the moment - like kiss. Or producing gasses. Anger gives some energy, too - for a moment.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
Left

Left

4 Dead 3 please release.
Oct 13, 2023
Yes, people kiss because they enjoy it, because it produces oxytocin and makes them feel connected emotionally. It may look gross but it feels good. The same as many other things in our life. Going to the toilet and emptying your bowels is gross, digesting delicious food and producing gasses, viewed through X-ray, is gross. So what? Don't like it - don't look.
More difficult when social airs and graces are expected from you, and you're judged, rejected, ignored or laughed at if you don't adopt them.

The name of the thread is "weird human rituals" not "human rituals you hate". Just because something can be seen as weird, doesn't mean it's bad. I don't hate kissing at all.

R

randal_bond

Oct 23, 2018
The name of the thread is "weird human rituals" not "human rituals you hate". Just because something can be seen as weird, doesn't mean it's bad. I don't hate kissing at all.
Looks like you took my reply personally. It's the first time I noticed you. I don't mind if you hate kissing or not.

traumer

traumer

the thorn
Nov 18, 2023
growing out hair... it's icky for most of the people when it's growing out in some other places than head but you can grow it out in your head and it actually has a strong meaning behind it, you have to take care, style etc. 🤔

L

loopdaloop

-
Apr 16, 2023
handshake is a weird arbitrary ritual, which we assigned to it the meaning of an unspoken contract both sides are signing

when i was first introduced to this ritaul as a kid my germophobic mind couldn't comprehend why humans decided to make this ritual so common

Reactions: leavingthesoultrap
C

catmewomeow

Oct 1, 2023
my favorite weird ritual is a wave. its just a hand moving in a specific way to be a polite passive greeting.

Reactions: TapeMachine and just_a_guy
deathstruck

deathstruck

failure personified
Dec 16, 2023
Damn, I'd never thought of it that way...it seems really weird now lol...hope you're doing okay:)

Reactions: just_a_guy
CheekyPhobia

CheekyPhobia

Reasonless, well it stands to reason...
Aug 1, 2022
That's always been odd to me. Same with parents kissing their kids on the lips.

• Yay!
Reactions: TapeMachine and NumbItAll