B

bearcareunknown

Feb 16, 2023
I want to get a therapist but I am pretty sure you cannot talk about CTB. I hate it so much, it'll linger in my head forever but I wish I could talk about it. I want to get a therapist but I know they will never care about me and only for my money. though I've never had a therapist, I've listened to what my friends have said about them and how they are just shoved into a psych ward just for the topic being brought up. I have PMDD and it causes me to think about CTB even if I feel a little sad. I am scared to even talk about it with them. I should just go for it I know but I really just want to be cared about, not because im giving them money they just need to listen to me. That is the last thing I want. I'm overreacting probably and should just go for it, but I figured Id ask for some advice on what to say to a therapist if I do get one, or what their reaction will be if I talk about CTB.

R

Roseate

Arcanist
Mar 24, 2021
I would say let them know beforehand. Like as long as they don't know you have a solid plan, I'm sure you can talk about it. You should be able to talk about it without fear. Their reaction, on the other hand might not be how you expect it to be. But hopefully they listen.

Kodokushi

Kodokushi

Falling...into the abyss...
Apr 19, 2023
If there's a way to find out beforehand through review services or something similar about your doctor's opinion/action regarding the topic, please try to find it and keep it in mind

Speaking from experience - most docs under government control (a city hospital, for example) will force you into a medical facility, since it's in their documentation on how to act in such occasion

A paid therapist will leave you be if they see you're not an active danger to yourself and of sound mind, but again research first, since not all of them are like that! I've discussed the topic with my therapist, previous attempts and selfharm, she also saw old visual signs, but since I was stable and willing to live and continue therapy, nothing scary happened (although I was shaking like crazy when she brought the topic and I practically confessed)

Please be careful, and I hope you'll manage to find a good person to help very soon! It may take a long time, but better be safe❤️

Stylite

Stylite

Pillar-Dweller
Feb 21, 2023
It's a plunge. You just have to trust them to not violate your trust. Best of luck.

nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
(fuck pmdd!!)

the cut-off point so to speak is "do you have a plan to hurt/kill yourself?" or "are you making plans to hurt/kill yourself?" basically the number one thing a good therapist will want to ensure is that youre able to stay safe long enough to make it back for your next appointment.

you don't have to open with "i want to kill myself" or even "i want to die." something like "i wish i didnt have to keep going" or "sometimes i hope i dont wake up" or "i dont know how im supposed to keep doing this" can be a gentler way to feel out how an individual therapist will react to someone expressing suicidal thoughts. its a field that can attract a lot of voyeuristic weirdos who want to feel powerful over others so yeah it's definitely worth it to be careful both in how you bring it up and how often you do. more old-fashioned therapists usually take the presence of any suicidal thought more seriously than "hipper" ones who understand that it's actually pretty simple & common for a lot of people to live with these thoughts and not act on them.

youve already gotten farther than a lot of people do by just asking this question. i hope you at least give it a shot; it's not all completely the worst c:

Reactions: Kodokushi