annxietty

annxietty

“Is there no way out of the mind?”
Mar 27, 2023
Its been a while, but I decided to update here... Ive been talking about my agoraphobia and the big change in my life (moving with my sister and her family to another country to start a new life), the change happened and Im now currently living with my sister, left my parents and everything, my sister is supporting me, trying to understand me and help me... The first day we reunited I had my first full panic attack, my body lost almost all control, Im sure many people here are familiar with the feeling, is so terrifying I started laughing because I couldnt believe it was happening in front of my dad, sister, my sister's husband and her 7yo son, my nephew... My hands were locked so my dad and sister started trying to help me to open them and while doing that they finally saw my self harm scars, my sister said it was ok and to focus on breathing, my dad left my side (later that night he told me I was demented and fucking crazy), all I could think about was that 7yo child that was looking at me all scared but my sister told me everything was ok... Im very lucky, a lot more lucky than many people here, and im grateful, Ive been giving my 120% trying to win against my agoraphobia, Ive had another panic attack a coupple of days ago, and today I went to the beach for the first time and almost panicked... my sister says Im doing very well and making progress, I just want to feel like myself, stop looking for bathrooms, start enjoying life, start working and being human... I want it now... Im so scared I cant sleep, so many emotions... My sister says we will look for a psychiatrist and psychologist, that they will give me time, that everything will be ok, not even once she has been rude to me or not understanding, she has never felt like I do but she is trying, and Im so scared of failing them all...... I will continue to give my all, I wish the day I write Im ok comes soon... Thank you to whoever reads this, and I hope everyone that is trying to recover has people around them to support them, this is hard but Ive been wanting to die for so long and now... I dont want to die... The other day a person my sister knows killed himself and my sister started crying so much, she hugged me and told me the reason she was like that was because she is scared I will do the same someday... I have to try, I have people that love me even if my head says otherwise...

If someone has tips for panic attacks/anxiety attacks/agoraphobia, I would really appreciate it, I know Im not alone here....

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: whywere, Praestat_Mori, katagiri83 and 8 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Hello there, your sister sounds like a lovely person, I don't know if this is good advice or bad but I would just say remember don't only try to live for your sister you need to learn to live for yourself aswell, maybe you don't feel that way now but that's ok.

Also some more probably bad advice :) You have probably been told all this before but I have found what helps with my anxiety is gradual exposure, so like starting off small and building up, also making a list of achievements no matter how small and crossing them off as you go through them but not feeling like you have to complete them all or do them any time soon or in any order.
I find relaxing helps but it needs to be the right kind, so watching TV and being online sometimes isn't great, try to do things that are constructive like exercise or cooking, I myself like to build and paint models.

Good luck

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, katagiri83, annxietty and 1 other person
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
I'm glad you have a truly wonderful Sister. People like this are rare gems in this dreadful world today.
You are very lucky to have her.

I used to suffer from debilitating panic attacks years ago, but don't get them whatsoever anymore.
I tried therapy, but it never worked for me, so I decided to cure myself using exposure therapy.

I would take baby steps every single day, by exposing myself very gradually to the things that triggered me.
This will take some time and a lot of courage and determination to get through. But it is definitely doable and works.
Having such a special Sister will be of huge benefit, hopefully She will accompany you when exposing yourself to whatever triggers you.
You can do this.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, katagiri83, annxietty and 2 others
annxietty

annxietty

“Is there no way out of the mind?”
Mar 27, 2023
Hello there, your sister sounds like a lovely person, I don't know if this is good advice or bad but I would just say remember don't only try to live for your sister you need to learn to live for yourself aswell, maybe you don't feel that way now but that's ok.

Also some more probably bad advice :) You have probably been told all this before but I have found what helps with my anxiety is gradual exposure, so like starting off small and building up, also making a list of achievements no matter how small and crossing them off as you go through them but not feeling like you have to complete them all or do them any time soon or in any order.
I find relaxing helps but it needs to be the right kind, so watching TV and being online sometimes isn't great, try to do things that are constructive like exercise or cooking, I myself like to build and paint models.

Good luck

Ive been focused on just surviving for so long that I dont know who I am or what do I even want... But I really think you are right, living for another person is painful because in the end the only person that will always be with you is yourself...
Im doing exposure therapy at the moment, not with a professional tho just going out with my family almost everyday (I really wish I can see a professional soon tho), I can do it but I dont enjoy it at all, Im always anxious and every sound scares me because I feel like Im in danger lol But thank you very much for the advice, I also think its the best way to "cure" agoraphobia, in the end if you stay at home nothing will happen... its very hard tho
I dont even have a hobby like that lol but I guess I like drawing, and watching anime or reading manga
Thank you again for your reply, I wish you good luck too

I'm glad you have a truly wonderful Sister. People like this are rare gems in this dreadful world today.
You are very lucky to have her.

I used to suffer from debilitating panic attacks years ago, but don't get them whatsoever anymore.
I tried therapy, but it never worked for me, so I decided to cure myself using exposure therapy.

I would take baby steps every single day, by exposing myself very gradually to the things that triggered me.
This will take some time and a lot of courage and determination to get through. But it is definitely doable and works.
Having such a special Sister will be of huge benefit, hopefully She will accompany you when exposing yourself to whatever triggers you.
You can do this.

Yes, Its so weird to me how can my sister love me this much, just because I also think this world is cruel and nobody cares about anyone but themselves... Thank you.
Im glad you could get over your panic attacks, I luckily only had 2 and I will always remember the feeling, you are very strong.
Thank you again, Im facing my fears and like you say it takes a lot of courage and determination but Im hoping it will be ok, I often think I will never be "normal" ...but like I said, Im not ready to die...
I wish you luck and thank you for your message.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and The anhedonic one
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Somebody a week ago mentioned to me about a special stone they carry in their pocket to help with anxiety. I was watching TV last night and I saw an interview with a soldier who also has a stone they carry with them to help with ptsd. I wonder if anyone has tried using stones and if they helped at all?

flyingrabbitt

flyingrabbitt

Jun 28, 2023
A psychiatrist and psychologist will definitely help you! Though finding a good one will be half the battle because a therapeutic relationship is just as important as the therapist's skill.

I want to add you are not alone in this, I also struggle with agoraphobia to the point I'm completely stuck at home and rarely go out but I've been building myself up to take my dog on a walk, it's difficult but we'll get through this.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere