• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I lived in Japan for two years. Do you have any idea how close I came to going to Aokigahara.... it was so hard to miss that opportunity :P But yeah all the reasons you said. Except I know security isn't a problem, so the other reasons.
Makes me wonder why the security isn't a big deal, considering Japan had a big "problem" with suicides not too long ago (it probably still is a "problem", but last I checked the suicide rates were considerably lower). Maybe they lack manpower to make sure no one kills themselves in such a large forest... I will probably research about it later.

Reactions: lv-gras and onewayroad
onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
Makes me wonder why the security isn't a big deal, considering Japan had a big "problem" with suicides not too long ago (it probably still is a "problem", but last I check the suicide rates were considerably lower). Maybe they lack manpower to make sure no one kills themselves in such a large forest... I will probably research about it later.

Aokihagara is 35 km² so they would need an pretty large amount of people to cover a decent percentage of it in time to catch people. And it's pretty hard to tell if someone is just a tourist or is going in there to ctb. They do actually have park rangers but I think it's unlikely you'd get caught in the amount of time it takes for partial or similar. I suppose you might.

Reactions: lv-gras and millefeui
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
Aokihagara is 35 km² so they would need an pretty large amount of people to cover a decent percentage of it in time to catch people. And it's pretty hard to tell if someone is just a tourist or is going in there to ctb. They do actually have park rangers but I think it's unlikely you'd get caught in the amount of time it takes for partial or similar. I suppose you might.
Makes sense. I failed to properly consider how large the forest could be.

Reactions: lv-gras
onewayroad

onewayroad

“Dying is not a crime.” ― Jack Kevorkian
Oct 4, 2018
Makes sense. I failed to properly consider how large the forest could be.

You're still right though, it's a matter of manpower. If they hand enough people they might be able to reduce the numbers a bit. I think it's more that mental health is pretty backwards in Japan, still very stigmatized and no one talks about it. I don't even know if they have one of those bullshit suicide hotlines, I never heard anything about one when I was there.

Reactions: lv-gras and millefeui
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
You're still right though, it's a matter of manpower. If they hand enough people they might be able to reduce the numbers a bit. I think it's more that mental health is pretty backwards in Japan, still very stigmatized and no one talks about it. I don't even know if they have one of those bullshit suicide hotlines, I never heard anything about one when I was there.
Yeah. I was just thinking since it is a very small yet overpopulated country, where people often struggle to find jobs, maybe making some of those unemployed people work in the forest as guards could help (even if a bit) solve two problems the country faces. Well, I don't think suicide is a problem in itself, but it is... a little complicated in this case, since a lot of the suicides there come from unemployment and stuff.

I am probably being naive, though and you do make a valid point on the mental health stigma.

Reactions: lv-gras and onewayroad
L

lifeisbutadream

Wizard
Oct 4, 2018
In Jack London's semi autobiographical book Martin Eden the hero, after finally having worked his way up in the world from poverty to fame and wealth as a famous author, in superb health, leaving the girl who loved him weeping on the shore, he sailed off to the South Pacific for a life of adventure - except when the ship was far out at sea he crawled out through his cabin's porthole and slipped into the ocean and watched it steam away. Then he dived as deep as he could to the last extent of his breath knowing that he could not have enough air in his lungs to make it back to the surface even if he tried. It was very beautiful deep in the water...

Last edited:
Reactions: wxtyubidi7y and Maravillosa
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
No you won't drown, but you will suffer from water-intoxication

I also remember this episode. It was a famous case. The woman's name was Jennifer Strange and she did it to get her son a Wii. Unlike the story Chubbyemu told, she died. Now the children are without a console and a mother.

worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
Drinking bleach / draino has to be one of the most horrifying methods. I'll never forget the story below. The poor guy actually put painkillers in the cocktail. I found it weird that the narrorator said "now life was ALMOST worse than death". Yeah I think it's safe to say that having your stomach and esophagus eaten away IS infinitely worse than being dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotWhatIExpected and your pathologist
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
I also remember this episode. It was a famous case. The woman's name was Jennifer Strange and she did it to get her son a Wii. Unlike the story Chubbyemu told, she died. Now the children are without a console and a mother.
Yeah, he says in the video the actual story had a different ending.

Maybe someone bought him a Nintendo Switch... Probably not.

Reactions: worldexploder
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
Yeah, he says in the video the actual story had a different ending.

Maybe someone bought him a Nintendo Switch... Probably not.
It was enraging that this was even allowed to happen on the radio. People were calling in warning Jennifer about the dangers of water intoxication...but she continued. Kids need a mom far more than a Wii of course.

Reactions: millefeui
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
It was enraging that this was even allowed to happen on the radio. People were calling in warning Jennifer about the dangers of water intoxication...but she continued. Kids need a mom far more than a Wii of course.
But you can't play Mario Galaxy in a mom...

(I agree, of course)

Reactions: worldexploder
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
But you can't play Mario Galaxy in a mom...

(I agree, of course)
I'm going to hell for chucking at that one. But yeah, I'm sure she could have saved money to buy one. It was very tragic.

Reactions: millefeui
wanttodie

wanttodie

Enlightened
Apr 19, 2018
in general it is the stupidest way to die on so many levels

and the sword thing... actually it is really hard to hit the heart and pierce it, heart is hard muscle in a slippery sack, protected by rib-cage witch is quite hard to pierce the connective tissue of rib-cage by it self... and to try to pierce the heart from abdominal path, it will be impossible... every organ you will touch on your way to heart will hurt like the end of the world to the point you will pass out from pain shock
i like to go that way

Reactions: Jovaras
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
True, but what is a lifetime of emotional pain compared to a few minutes of physical pain? From a neuroscience perspective (I am a neuroscientist) all pain is essentially the same. When you look at it from a scientific perspective, pain is just an emotion. I can see how, with enough courage, these things can be overcome. But personally I don't think I have the courage to endure the physical pain of dying by the sword haha
I think physical pain in many ways something emotional pain can't compare to

Although often emotional pain is resultant from recognizing physical pain in others, or thinking about past/future pain in ourselves
Your comment about modern society becoming weaker reminds me of a passage from Cicero, from On Bearing Pain:

"We, if we have the toothache, or a pain in the foot, or if the body be anyways affected, cannot bear it. For our sentiments of pain as well as pleasure are so trifling and effeminate, we are so enervated and relaxed by luxuries, that we cannot bear the sting of a bee without crying out."
Reminds me of a video I once saw, of two Mexican drug members having being captured, were required to sit down and give some kind of speech. They gave the speech calmly, all the while watching as one man sharpens his knife, then another preparing a chainsaw. Then he didn't even flinch when the chainsaw struck his throat, and was then pulled back, he again put forward his blood covered the neck. The second man, sitting next to him, remained still until it was his turn with the knife.

It shows that even men without any learning or education can bear pain with courage, most likely because they'd always lived a difficult life and never had the luxuries we have, both Cicero and Seneca commented on gladiators who bore pain in much the same way.
They may have also been on drugs, the cartel members
No you won't drown, but you will suffer from water-intoxication

Would water intoxication be painful?

They say you would at least get a headache from your brain expanding

I could pop otc painkillers a lot while doing it

Last edited:
jimbob1000

jimbob1000

Student
Feb 21, 2020
go on a helicopter ride , then jump out over the mountains

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
go on a helicopter ride , then jump out over the mountains
Truthfully jump planes are an encouraging invention in terms of a painless suicide

I don't know if that would ever be an accepted process though
Do you think this is true about carbon monoxide poisoning in ancient times?

"The earliest description of carbon monoxide poisoning dates to at least 200 BC by Aristotle.[150] Documented cases of carbon monoxide being used as a method of suicide date to at least 100 BC in ancient Rome.[150]"

It would be comforting to know there was a painless way out even then, although not many people, if anyone, would have known about it

Last edited: