Ramirez

Ramirez

Criminally insane
Jun 10, 2019
  • Aww..
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, not-2-b-the-answer, motel rooms and 1 other person
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
Princess diana was just another single mom shagging an arab who got in a crash

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Fragile, UseItOrLoseIt and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Princess diana was just another single mom shagging an arab who got in a crash
Princess Di was about as charismatic as Theresa May

• Yay!
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Beached_whale
Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
I always prefer looking at negative reviews over positive ones. Like on Steam and IMDB, or what have you. Positive reviews never tell the whole story and always gloss over, downplay, or outright ignore the flaws in any given movie/show/game, et cetera. Positive reviews also tend to be heavily riddled with fanboyism and also carry the risk of being left by shills.

I also believe that, at the end of the day, everything sucks in some form or another. Nothing is truly perfect. Seeing things through a harsh critical lens is always going to be the more truthful/authentic perspective. Even for things I personally happen to like, I still prefer looking at the reasons for why people think they're bad, since when it comes down to it, everything is fundamentally terrible. No matter what it is, we can only ever really enjoy something in spite of its flaws. Those who pretend something's flaws are minimal or outright nonexistent are completely delusional. This is exactly why I avoid/despise anything that's over overhyped or that are arrogantly deemed too "perfect" to criticize, or that certain parts of them are beyond criticism. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is exempt from being demonstrably shown to be awful on some level.

Maybe that's just my own fixation on the negative side of things talking and, to a certain extent, I'm willing to admit that this might be partly the reason why I feel this way. Setting that aside, I guess I just prefer when something's strengths and weaknesses are acknowledged equally, and that one is willing to admit that there are certain aspects of whatever it might be that they're talking about that are terrible, which almost never happens in positive reviews.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: ShornSoloists, ithappens, narval and 8 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
People who say they hope to get reincarnated & have a wonderful new life need to learn that Hindus & Buddhists actually think of rebirth as a curse & that their goal is to stop being reborn. They also believe that people who kill themselves will be punished for it in their next life. Sorry to burst your pretty bubble, folks.

• Love
Reactions: hʚll, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
OMFG, I'm starting to prefer dangerous religious lunatics to harmless "spiritual" morons.

• Yay!
Reactions: TriggerHappy
TheAmazingCriswell

TheAmazingCriswell

I predict...
Apr 28, 2021
People who say they hope to get reincarnated & have a wonderful new life need to learn that Hindus & Buddhists actually think of rebirth as a curse & that their goal is to stop being reborn. They also believe that people who kill themselves will be punished for it in their next life. Sorry to burst your pretty bubble, folks.
This is not an opinion, but a factual statement.
I also believe that, at the end of the day, everything sucks in some form or another. Nothing is truly perfect. Seeing things through a harsh critical lens is always going to be the more truthful/authentic perspective. Even for things I personally happen to like, I still prefer looking at the reasons for why people think they're bad, since when it comes down to it, everything is fundamentally terrible. No matter what it is, we can only ever really enjoy something in spite of its flaws. Those who pretend something's flaws are minimal or outright nonexistent are completely delusional. This is exactly why I avoid/despise anything that's over overhyped or that are arrogantly deemed too "perfect" to criticize, or that certain parts of them are beyond criticism. As far as I'm concerned, nothing is exempt from being demonstrably shown to be awful on some level.
Would you mind telling me what is fundamentally terrible about this:

or this:

Even if these two pieces should not align with your musical taste, you should be able to acknowledge objectively that these are both immaculate from a technical point of view and written in the best possible taste.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Even if these two pieces should not align with your musical taste, you should be able to acknowledge objectively that these are both immaculate from a technical point of view and written in the best possible taste.

Well, you're right. I am willing to acknowledge that. Being perfectly honest, I think that, for me, a lot of this is basically just a byproduct brought about by this feeling of frequent dissatisfaction that follows me into all areas of my life, consumption of the arts/media included. At the end of the day, most things I experience don't tend to leave that much of an impression on me, or otherwise leave me especially susceptible to noticing their flaws. In other words, I'm just a very hard to please kind of guy and I can't help, but come away from most things with a middling impression of their quality, which otherwise clashes heavily with how hyped up and celebrated it is to most other people, whatever it might be. That's why negative reviews are more appealing to me, since they tend to validate the problems/issues I also may have experienced with something, which are otherwise entirely left out of positive reviews. It's also safe to say that jadedness, anhedonia and overall depression are each pretty much the main culprits behind a lot of this as well. What's more, when it comes to music or more classical forms of art, I honestly don't have much of an opinion, and my post was more geared towards an annoyance of this trend as it pertains to contemporary forms of entertainment, like video games, films, or TV shows.

I mean, taking something like Dark Souls as an example, it's an extremely popular franchise that many people have heaped their praises on for years, often to the utter dismissal or outright denial of its flaws. Personally speaking, I've played and finished Demon Souls, along with Dark Souls and its following sequels. I didn't hate them, nor did I particularly like them. They were essentially the epitome of an okay, middle of the road experience, with strengths/weaknesses aplenty. What's ultimately frustrating to me is, for a lack of a better term, the fanboyism that begins to generate around any such game, or what have you, that becomes popular enough that discussing its flaws is seen as an act of heresy. That's why I often turn to and seek out more negative reviews, since it's usually only through this that one can see a more balanced take on discussing these kinds of things. I mean, even though I love games like the original Deus Ex, or System Shock 2, I'm sure lots of people hate them, or would see them as outdated relics from a bygone era. Neither are perfect games, and although I enjoy their gameplay/combat/story a lot, one could argue that each of those categories are as equally terrible to someone else, as to how I find them to be good for me.

This notion of whether something is "objectively" good or not is usually brought up as a means to "prove" that something is unarguably great and amazing, but, at the end of the day, our subjective experience still dictates what we'll ultimately think about it, or how much pleasure/displeasure is brought to us by consuming it. People are very often blinded by the fact that just because they personally happened to enjoy whatever it is they liked that doesn't mean it's completely and objectively good, assuming such a thing ever can be. Using again the prior example, there are flaws to any combat system, whether it's Deus Ex or Dark Souls, and it really just comes down to how much those flaws bother us enough that we'd wish to see them improved. When people, at least in this instance, act like a game doesn't have any flaws, or that the flaws are somehow intended features, well that's where I feel like all this goes off the rails and becomes very annoying/alienating.

But, like I said, I think the fact that I find myself mired in severe depression probably has something to do with all this as well, and how it's often difficult to enjoy things to the same extent in which others can. Overall though, I still feel like there's way more honesty present when someone comes at something from the negative instead of the positive, since they're not going to mince words or gloss over those aspects of it that aren't as great as they could be. But, once more, I'll make mention of the fact that, by and large, I'm kind of a grumpy old man who has very particular tastes, and very rarely do I experience something in which I truly enjoy it. I also feel that for pieces of media in which there is an abundance of positive reception, that leaves a fundamental absence of negative reception, which otherwise creates an incomplete picture of what it's all about. Speaking specifically of Steam, if a particular games has greater of 10,000 positive reviews and is seen as mostly positive, that's an immediate sign for me to check out the negative reviews to see what the real shakedown of things is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ame
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
I always prefer looking at negative reviews over positive ones. Like on Steam and IMDB, or what have you. Positive reviews never tell the whole story and always gloss over, downplay, or outright ignore the flaws in any given movie/show/game, et cetera. Positive reviews also tend to be heavily riddled with fanboyism and also carry the risk of being left by shills.

Maybe that's just my own fixation on the negative side of things talking and, to a certain extent, I'm willing to admit that this might be partly the reason why I feel this way. Setting that aside, I guess I just prefer when something's strengths and weaknesses are acknowledged equally, and that one is willing to admit that there are certain aspects of whatever it might be that they're talking about that are terrible, which almost never happens in positive reviews.
A mix is always best I think. A few negative to read what people harp about it, then the positive to see it in the other way. Then watch a little footage of said game, then make a choice. Most rational way to go about it.

Reactions: Skathon, UseItOrLoseIt and Imaginos
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I don't really like watching movies (or shows). They're boring and I can't get invested in anything for 2 hours. I would rather sit around and do nothing than watch a movie.

• Hugs
Reactions: ShornSoloists, ithappens, demuic and 6 others
Post-war Kamikaze

Post-war Kamikaze

Jun 22, 2021
Genshin Impact is garbage.
In fact it gets many negative reviews in China because people see it as an imitation of Zelda.

Reactions: demuic and WrongPlaceWrongTime
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
If I hear "1966" one more fucking time, I swear to god....

Reactions: Beached_whale
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Because this seems to be controversial in the year 2021: trans rights are human rights.

• Love
Reactions: ShornSoloists, clown_17, Lupgevif and 11 others
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
The douchbaggery of me finding humor in casting about to try to find a way to kms is not lost on me. I was wondering what the funniest way to do it would be.

suicide-help-card-16.jpg

1*6eGXb1YWoTRMCIQE5RZQ5Q.jpeg

daf895dd-2293-4254-8eba-230ceecd6430.jpg

h4j700sjwq931.jpg

_a0a2ttno4JvJgdMvvzpd-x2saL7Js5Pg6nXXNdUI1PRQzTagcYswzXJgFRcVMTwcQVNIMwAiQ_iDpzwz8QoIfYuT_9_N08cdP8M9MIZNyeW0sOPVlwvVQ_3BlPHiIogDVnIZu93V_vY1J25630dZxgq-U5OEH-TJGQ

suicide-sm.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Because this seems to be controversial in the year 2021: trans rights are human rights.
HI! I 100% agree with you. I know just my dumb opinion but I have been around for some time and we are ALL the same PERIOD. Walter

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I enjoy getting my sleeves wet when I wash my hands.

• Wow
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, not-2-b-the-answer, NumbItAll and 1 other person
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
  • Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, not-2-b-the-answer and Symbiote
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Last edited:
Reactions: Beached_whale, motel rooms and not-2-b-the-answer
SelmaJezkova10

SelmaJezkova10

Amorphous and useless thing
May 24, 2021
I don't know why everyone likes AOT so much, I only watched first season and it seems good but just that, it's not like: OMG THE BEST ANIME EVER

sorry to AOT fans :c