• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

R

Readytogasap

Jun 18, 2022
A relative of mine passed away couple weeks back. Today I got a call off a lawyer asking me to come down to the capital in next few days, I am due to be the sole inheritor of an estate worth about 800k after taxes etc.

This is very unexpected, in my depression I did not think about this stuff.

My issues are mental, not material.
PTSD, greiving over loss of my best friend, truama in childhood. Loneliness. I have nothing left for me really in this country. No friends or family.

I am not sure If I should kill myself or maybe move to another country and try have a fresh start.

Last night I was pretty commited to suicide, but this unexpected news has kinda thrown a spanner in the works. I will still have all my problems but maybe having something like this, gives me a chance to work on my issues with better chance of success.

I am not sure if this Is a Manic idea but I've been thinking about moving to Austria/ Germany/Belgium/ Netherlands perhaps and trying one last roll of the dice.

Super conflicted and suddenly have doubts. I am not sure if this plan is fantastical, or I am having SI or totally delousional about realistic prospect of doing this as I know it may take 6 months of work to build up to this and I could fall apart at any moment. Idk what to say

Probably I am just venting but I would be curious to know anyones opinion on what you think i should do. My life has been terirble for years honestly and I am still open to prospect of suicide, but now I have doubts for first time in long time.

I

iain98

May 26, 2022
Do what you want with the money and then consider suicide perhaps? No point in killing yourself with money still in the account IMO. Money is power and even though it doesn't solve all problems, you can enjoy yourself at least before taking your life.

wljourney

wljourney

Waiting for the bus
Apr 2, 2022
Congratulations! And sorry for your loss.

Also: moving to another country and starting new can be exciting and give you new energy. New, positive experiences. But also very difficult ones. Being an outsider, the new guy, an immigrant is not easy! Money helps, but it doesn't solve everything.

Also, remember this proverb:
"wherever you go, there you are"

Having the financial means to get better treatment and supports can definitely help, but : You'll be taking yourself and your past experiences with you. Not even life in a new country can change that.

(I have tried this and moved to a different continent. It gave me some interesting experiences, but in the end… it probably wasn't worth it.)

lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Omg that's amazing. I'm so happy for you. Even if you don't feel up to starting a new life in another country at least take the time to enjoy what this world has to offer. See beautiful places, eat some good food, and try new things.

danausplexi

danausplexi

Jun 21, 2022
That's great! You should do whatever your heart is calling you to do. Maybe do something you always wanted to do but the cost seemed to big?
Regardless, I wish you well in whatever or wherever this surprise leads you.

Reactions: lofticries
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
If things don't go as expected, with that kind of money you could at least source whatever CTB method you'd want. I'd avoid Belgium though, if your issues are mental.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Since you use the word "spanner', I guess you are in the UK. i am not familiar with UK laws, but you might consider putting the money in what in the US would be municipal bods (they pay higher interest rates and the interest is tax free (in the US)). You would want to avoid liberal municipalities as they tend to be less financially sound.

There is a great temptation to spend now with a windfall and it can be exhilarating. But the option of giving yourself a sort of perpetual income has advantages as well. Just be forewarned that people with money or income find that they can have many new "friends".

miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
A relative of mine passed away couple weeks back. Today I got a call off a lawyer asking me to come down to the capital in next few days, I am due to be the sole inheritor of an estate worth about 800k after taxes etc.

PTSD, greiving over loss of my best friend, truama in childhood. Loneliness. I have nothing left for me really in this country. No friends or family.

I am not sure If I should kill myself or maybe move to another country and try have a fresh start.

Last night I was pretty commited to suicide, but this unexpected news has kinda thrown a spanner in the works. I will still have all my problems but maybe having something like this, gives me a chance to work on my issues with better chance of success.

I am not sure if this Is a Manic idea but I've been thinking about moving to Austria/ Germany/Belgium/ Netherlands perhaps and trying one last roll of the dice.

Super conflicted and suddenly have doubts. I am not sure if this plan is fantastical, or I am having SI or totally delousional about realistic prospect of doing this as I know it may take 6 months of work to build up to this and I could fall apart at any moment. Idk what to say

Probably I am just venting but I would be curious to know anyones opinion on what you think i should do. My life has been terirble for years honestly and I am still open to prospect of suicide, but now I have doubts for first time in long time.
Go and live a little, see how that new freedom feels. Do the things you couldn't do before, at least you won't be having doubts anymore. So if you're still depressed, you get to choose whatever method you decide on.

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
I think you should give moving to another country a shot and see how things go. Even though the trauma you experienced will always be there with you, maybe now you'll have the means to take the edge off of it. At the very least, if things don't work out, you know you can always CTB at any time, but I hope Recovery works out for you.

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Visionary
May 5, 2020
Your relative must have really cared about you to leave you their sole inheritance. That's a lot of money. I hope you enjoy some of it and are able to start a new life somehow. This might be a second chance for you. Good luck!

Reactions: milkginger
DerTod

DerTod

No alarms and no surprises
Apr 17, 2022

Have no friends and only speak with my father on the phone sometimes. So no family support. I'm conflicted as well. Half of me also thinks i should try a fresh start in another better country( Germany) and the other half thinks it's all pointless and i will fail because it involves discipline for about 2 years or so: have to learn the language from zero, have to move there all on my own and alone and i have to make money in order to move. If i would suddenly win money to be able to buy a small apartment there in Germany i will definitely chose to live and would have the drive to actually make the changes i need to do. You have inherited a large amount of money. Money can't buy happiness but with them you could definitely have a fresh start somewhere new.If you know the language it's even easier. Give it a shot i say! If it doesn't work out, you can always CTB. Buy some N if you can just to have it there if things don't work out for you.

Reactions: Regen
I

iwillforyou

Nov 11, 2022
I agree with those who said, "wherever you go there you are" but that doesn't *have* to be a bad thing. If ever there was a time in your life where you felt accomplished and fulfilled (or the potential for such a feeling/state) and you find you see options may have opened up with this unexpected inheritance than I think it's worthwhile to try— I say this while having spent the day researching (yet again) the best ways to ctb myself— there's always the option to end it— there usually isn't the option for an unexpected financial windfall and even though the reason you've received it is shitty— I won't say I'm sorry for your loss because that response always made me angry and exhausted, instead I will offer my condolences to you in this time of mourning a loved one— I'm sure this relative loved/loves you and wants you to have beauty and happiness in your life and journey and has left this to you that you may find peace and joy in said journey.
For me personally, evidentiary support (gads) and lack of options dictates my path quite clearly; but if there is a part of you that finds there might be room for hope with the possibilities now available to you, I say, take it.

Why not?

If you so choose you can keep your plans for ctb and utilize them at your discretion— this event doesn't change that— it simply seems to me that you may have a few more paths you might choose to walk and see where they may take you.

Dr. Suess has fallen off a bit, but "oh the places you'll go" comes to mind. Who knows if some of them might be wonderful. And if it still sucks, you've got the means to solve that.

Also, if you move to the UK or somewhere else overseas you might even find more peaceful options for ctb if that is still your ultimate choice.
(They have something called the Sarcopod that makes me super envious (although I do believe you have to be terminal to be eligible))

Whatever you choose, I hope you find peace and I wish you luck on your journey. 💛💛💕

T

trizzy

Aug 20, 2022
1. move 100% - go to a country where people are super nice and friendly. I say give Vietnam a try.

2. do whatever you want with the money. buy a nice car, house, travel, give charity. etc

3. live for at least one more year then decide

C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
If you have doubts then I'd say try for it. Death will always be there and you'll have better resources to access it if things really don't work out. You have time and space- no harm in taking it. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope things go well for you.

R

Regen

I stay in my power
Aug 20, 2020
would organize a lot of help and look for a good and time-consuming therapy and do therapy full-time. If that doesn't work after maybe two years, I would leave. But I would definitely try this attempt at change in such a financial stroke of luck. You might be lucky and find one of the few really good psychologists.