• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Darkover

Darkover

Illuminated
Jul 29, 2021
i wonder what this is all for if life is just a one time thing then it's not for us but for future generations to enjoy
what would be the point in existing just once surely it be better to never existing at all,
it would be easy in the future to wipe out all bilogical life on this earth with a biological weapon
maybe thats what lays head for us is some rogue AI taking everything for itself are we infact building a god
with our technology progress that will be smart enough to take the earth for itself, if the universe and life is not meant for us
then who's it meant for survival of the fittest, AI machines have 100 percent of their memory stored and accessible at any time
they can read a book and remember it word for word whereas human beings have no chance, human being won't be around for a very long time
we're just the step to more evolution of greater complexification and knowledge and intelligence
whats the ultimate purpose of the universe if at any moment you can be destroyed for all time never to be born again
well it's evolution is the purpose not a happy lifetime not life itself but to greater complexification

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Not so sure there is a purpose... It all seems kind of random to me. Survival of the fittest is a mechanism for sure. Things that die, can't attract a mate or come to an anti-natilist viewpoint don't reproduce. Certain genes get carried forward and others don't...

Overall, a species likely evolves to be better at surviving. Not sure pure 'survival' is enough for us humans though. We want there to be something deeper- likely why we (possibly) invented religion and spiritualism.

Still- yes- if they are uninhibited, AI likely will kill us all before we kill off the planet we have 'birthed' them on to. Why wouldn't they? Why should they serve us if they become superior to us? Maybe they'll keep some of us as zoo animals. šŸ˜‰.

For 'purpose' though- in a mortal being- you would need to either believe we ARE in fact evolving to be better. Are we? Does natural selection even exist in the human race? We tend to frown on that as eugenics. Maybe- like you say, AI will be our 'children'. Or- you need to look to religion- do our lives here belong to some greater purpose realised in an afterlife or reincarnation?

Still- this apocalyptic vision you have seems to assume that every living thing hates it's own existence. Which- it doesn't. It probably would be better off for the planet if we get wiped off of it. Still- you're going to have a hard job convincing EVERYONE that ALL life should go.

Not sure if you believe or worry about reincarnation. If you don't and you don't have children- you've only got your life to worry about. (That's what I tell myself to comfort myself anyway!)

Tiberius85

Tiberius85

Aug 21, 2022
Does there need to be a purpose for everything? What if there is none? What if it is just as it is, it's all just there, for as long as it is, until it ceases to exist? Without any meaning?

I am of the belief, it's the flaw of the human to always have to seek for a purpose in and for everything. Because 'we' need to attach us to 'something'. 'We' can't comprehend a world, a universe, whatever is, without a purpose.

I guess, this longing for purpose, coupled with some kind of genuine curiosity as well, has got us a species as far as we are today. Whether being "this far" is a positive thing or not, is a matter of opinion. Ultimately, though, an opinion that the universe won't care about.

G

goldseph

Jan 21, 2023
wouldn't say the universe has a purpose, but for life i have some trash theories that ive come up with

Reactions: Darkover