painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
In the UK if you self harm or have a failed attempt and go to A&E you are pretty much forced to have a mental health assessment with the liaison team. I have seen them a few times (and even thrown up charcoal over them once) but I was wondering whether anybody knows what would happen if I just didn't talk/reply when forced to have this. I hate being forced to go through it, and no matter what I say it is always the same outcome of go home and contact your care co tomorrow. I hate the way they patronise me saying how well I am coping etc, when that's clearly not true. I have even told them I intended to kill myself and they still weren't bothered, so why put me through this when all it does is make me feel like I am not listened to and that I don't matter.

I don't intend to have to go through this again but even when they say will you be willing to talk to the liaison team and I have said no, they say well you have to. So why bother asking me, pretending like you are giving me a choice when I don't have one?

Would they have grounds to send me to inpatient if I just stayed silent and didn't respond to them? I guess I haven't said anything that could be used against me to get me admitted but I am not fully sure. I know if you abscond from the hospital before speaking with them they will send the police to find you and detain you on a 136, then they will force you to stay until the team get there to talk to you which often takes hours.

I guess I am looking for anybody who has experience with this to help so I am informed if/when it should happen again.

Reactions: stevieu
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I once met with a team to discuss whether I should be sectioned or not, but it came down to being my decision in the end and they tried to say things to dissuade me more than anything. Obviously not enough of a risk to myself at the time.

I have also talked with members of the mh liaison team on various occasions, but nothing has ever really come of them. I'm supposed to be waiting for a referral from the last one, but its been 6 months so I am not hopeful.

What is it that you're wanting to happen that doesn't? Do you want to be taken into inpatient?

painoflife

painoflife

Arcanist
Jul 27, 2019
What is it that you're wanting to happen that doesn't?
I dont want to have to talk to them because it does nothing positive. It just reinforces my thoughts that what I say is ignored and they can be so patronising.
I don't want to go back to inpatient, I just need to be checked over because sometimes I get carried away and do more harm than I meant to do.

signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I dont want to have to talk to them because it does nothing positive. It just reinforces my thoughts that what I say is ignored and they can be so patronising.
I don't want to go back to inpatient, I just need to be checked over because sometimes I get carried away and do more harm than I meant to do.
I get what you mean, all the waiting around just to talk with someone and then nothing useful happening after you leave. Pretty demoralising. Sounds like they're just fulfilling their duty of care before allowing you to go...

Not familiar with section 136 so I looked it up - found this webpage which has some useful info on what you can/can't do - hope that helps.

Reactions: painoflife
stevieu

stevieu

~ Sleepwalking through every day ~
Feb 10, 2020
It's all monotonous, patronising bullshit, mostly spewed by people who don't understand to any sort of degree but like to post on various social media about how much they 'help people' on a daily basis :mmm:

You could literally sacrifice yourself in front of them and they'd still be reading from their list of questions. Unless you've been in our individual situations, they can't judge or profess to know better, but they continue to...

Mental health support and understanding in the UK is practically non-existent.

Last edited:
Reactions: painoflife
London2021

London2021

Jan 30, 2021
OK the bad news first - the proposals in the MH Act reform will allow non MH A& E staff to detain us for not having capacity. Which happens now just illegally.

I dont voluntarily attend A&E. So dragged there under some form legislation in the NHS pass the mental game.

But I refuse to speak to any of them. Including when being assessed for sectioning. Because they have decided before EVER seeing me or you what they have decided and planned.
Dictated by bed availability.

I refuse see or work with the crisis team full stop for years.

Like you it is triggering and distressing and escalates my risk. I may sometimes lose my rag if provoked and tell them I dont give a flying fuck what their system is and maybe they should go reflect on how they created and perpetuated such a shit system but otherwise headphones on dont engage.

If as always the laughable 4 hr wait is breached have been moved to as assessment ward attached to the A& E but ONLY if under section otherwise I refuse. Why? Because MH Act s5 detention can ONLY be used if you are an inpt and that counts as an admission.

Not talking to them does mean they have to go away and think and delays getting out but for me they are dangerous.

Handy tip : ALWAYS have a charging bank or 2 and short 3cm charging wires that can't be confiscated as ligature risks if MH contact a regular risk. Keeps you in contact with ppl with music with Samaritans ( oh, the irony) .

Going for a lie down now.....

• Hugs
Reactions: painoflife and KuriGohan&Kamehameha