• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
Yes a time out function where the mods don't have to reactivate your account, so after the requested hours your account will automatically reactivate to use again, so if your having a really shitty day self isolating or things are not going to plan and you are going to have a heavy boozing session you could click a button to give yourself a 12 hour time out so you can't participate on SS rather than venting your anger and frustration and possibly upsetting people.

Just a thought for the whizz kids, lol.

Cheers

Geo

Last edited:
H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
A cooling off period like that is already in place. When you "self ban" it takes two days for it to become permanent. During those two days you cannot post, but you have the option of simply re-activating your account without a mod's involvement. Presumably it's set up this way to prevent any rash self-bans followed by "banner's remorse".

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Thanks I didn't realise that about self banning so if I hit the self ban now and then cancel it, I will be locked out for 48 hours so I won't be able to use SS at all until the 48 hours are up.

I did read this but it's not clear if when you cancel the timer it will allow you to start messaging straight away or if you have to wait 48 hours

Can I close, ban, or disable my account?
Yes. You can click on the "Disable account" button at the bottom of the dropdown that appears when you click your user at the top of the page, or from the bottom of the sidebar when you go to your preferences. You will be asked to input your password, and then you will have 48 hours to cancel the timer, otherwise, your account will be PERMANENTLY disabled once the time expires. Your content will NOT be deleted, and your account will still be up, albeit completely inaccessible. You can change your privacy preferences before you take this step to make your account fully invisible if you wish.
We do not mass delete content nor fully delete accounts, no exceptions.

Cheers

Geo
A cooling off period like that is already in place. When you "self ban" it takes two days for it to become permanent. During those two days you cannot post, but you have the option of simply re-activating your account without a mod's involvement. Presumably it's set up this way to prevent any rash self-bans followed by "banner's remorse".

OK there's only one way test this theory and that is to self ban myself then cancel it and see if I have to wait 48 hours to reply to you again, I will do it at 02.00 so if you don't receive a message from me you know it works and I won't be on again until next week.

Although I suspect that as soon as I cancel my self ban I will be allowed to message and be part of SS again but I could be wrong.

Cheers Geo

Last edited:
Reactions: _Minsk
H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
No, any time during the 48 hours you can cancel the deletion, and you will immediately have full access to your account again.

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
No, any time during the 48 hours you can cancel the deletion, and you will immediately have full access to your account again.

OK thanks but I am suggesting a time out function for at least 12 hours with no access to SS until the 12 hours are up, which you can activate yourself so if your having a really bad day stuck in doors and your angry and frustrated and you turn to what ever vice, booze for example which makes some people even more angry and might get into really heated debates, then you have an option to switch off for 12 hours and then after the 12 hours are up will automatically activate your account to use again.

Thanks

Geo

H

HopeDiesLast

self-banned
Dec 28, 2019
Maybe not a bad idea...but I'd be worried about someone having a sudden crisis and being unable to access the forum. Some people freak out when the site is down for a few minutes or a couple of hours due to technical issues. It could be disastrous for someone to not be able to reach out to anyone even if it was initially by choice.

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
Maybe not a bad idea...but I'd be worried about someone having a sudden crisis and being unable to access the forum. Some people freak out when the site is down for a few minutes or a couple of hours due to technical issues. It could be disastrous for someone to not be able to reach out to anyone even if it was initially by choice.

Yes I understand people do panic when the site goes down but as they are instigating the timeout themselves and it's only for 12 hours and then it will return to normal and they can still lurk but not participate.

I think it would be an excellent function to have on your menu so if you are feeling angry and frustrated as we are forced to stay indoors and the pubs and restaurants are closed for the foreseeable future more people who don't normally drink indoors are drinking so if you are going to have a really good booze up and you don't want to be writing drunk messages which could offend people just click the 12 hour timeout function.

Cheers

George

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Feb 23, 2020
That... Could be actually be pretty good for addicts such as myself lol
Kind of like those zen mode apps.
How much of a pain in the ass would it be to make, though?

Well just thought I would throw it into the mix of ideas, it's up to the web designer and the whizz kids, lol.

Cheers

Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.