• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
What is the longest amount of time it would take to pass out when breathing in pure nitrogen? I don't think I'll be able to hold my breath long enough

StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
10 to 15 seconds of normal breathing. You are supposed to breath it in, not try and hold your breath???

Reactions: sadworld
issyishere

issyishere

Goodnight and always remember that’s life
Nov 5, 2019
You don't hold your breath, you breath it in like you would air. Your body would assume it's air so the panic is lessened but you get lightheaded with every breath because you're technically oxygen deprived.

Reactions: sadworld
Thanatonaut

Thanatonaut

My time is coming.
May 17, 2019
You need to understand some things about inert gas. You don't hold your breath. (Well, you exhale as fully as you can, pull the bag down, then take slow, deep breaths until you pass out, usually 15-45 seconds.) And because there's no buildup of CO2, and you're basically just breathing normal air with the oxygen removed (nitrogen composes 78% of air) so your body isn't programmed to panic. I've breathed it myself to the point of unconsciousness and it's actually pleasant. Feeling of pins and needles all over, tunnel vision, and then the warmest, most peaceful sense of euphoria before darkness.

Last edited:
R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
Oh sorry, I meant to say I've been practicing holding my breath so I am prepared to breathe in the nitrogen comfortably for however long it takes. I've tried passing out breathing in nitrogen but haven't been able to breath in the nitrogen for more than 25 or 30 seconds I think before getting too starved of air. So maybe will take like 40 or 45 seconds for some people to pass out?

Reactions: flatearth
StuFin

StuFin

Arcanist
Oct 21, 2020
You don't hold your breath, you breath out as much as you can so your lungs are empty, then pull down the bag and start breathing normally.

Thanatonaut

Thanatonaut

My time is coming.
May 17, 2019
Oh sorry, I meant to say I've been practicing holding my breath so I am prepared to breathe in the nitrogen comfortably for however long it takes. I've tried passing out breathing in nitrogen but haven't been able to breath in the nitrogen for more than 25 or 30 seconds I think before getting too starved of air. So maybe will take like 40 or 45 seconds for some people to pass out?
If you're feeling starved of air, something is wrong. Somehow there's CO2 buildup in your bag or your gas isn't pure enough.

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
If you're feeling starved of air, something is wrong. Somehow there's CO2 buildup in your bag or your gas isn't pure enough.
Oh, in the PPH, it says that it helps to hyperventilate before pulling the bag down to reduce air hunger feelings so I think my nitrogen is pure

B

BeBraveBrother

Student
Sep 5, 2020
I have been adviced to take deep breath (in and out). If I hold my breath I won't succeed.
The whole thing is about relasing CO2 without breathing in oxygen. With the nitrogen gas method I don't die from nitrogen but from the total absense of oxygen (!!!)
The nitrogen is only supposed to trick the body and let my body signal that everything is okay.
The air that we are breathing right has around 79% nitrogen (!) and only around 20-21% oxygen. The bag is functioning as a small "room" where those 20-21% are being "blown out" of the breathing air. That's what it is all about. Pure nitrogen, small room at the neck to let the gas in the bag exceed, right flow of nitrogen (around 15l-20l per minute) and right amount (20lx40min) and I hope I will succed.

D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
You need to understand some things about inert gas. You don't hold your breath. (Well, you exhale as fully as you can, pull the bag down, then take slow, deep breaths until you pass out, usually 15-45 seconds.) And because there's no buildup of CO2, and you're basically just breathing normal air with the oxygen removed (nitrogen composes 78% of air) so your body isn't programmed to panic. I've breathed it myself to the point of unconsciousness and it's actually pleasant. Feeling of pins and needles all over, tunnel vision, and then the warmest, most peaceful sense of euphoria before darkness.
Did you ever do it until unconscious? What happened when you went unconscious?
I have been adviced to take deep breath (in and out). If I hold my breath I won't succeed.
The whole thing is about relasing CO2 without breathing in oxygen. With the nitrogen gas method I don't die from nitrogen but from the total absense of oxygen (!!!)
The nitrogen is only supposed to trick the body and let my body signal that everything is okay.
The air that we are breathing right has around 79% nitrogen (!) and only around 20-21% oxygen. The bag is functioning as a small "room" where those 20-21% are being "blown out" of the breathing air. That's what it is all about. Pure nitrogen, small room at the neck to let the gas in the bag exceed, right flow of nitrogen (around 15l-20l per minute) and right amount (20lx40min) and I hope I will succed.
Do we do it with a scuba diving mask? Wouldnt that be better?

Thanatonaut

Thanatonaut

My time is coming.
May 17, 2019
Did you ever do it until unconscious? What happened when you went unconscious?
Yes. That's what I describe above. I did it as the very end of my trial run checklist. Once the bag is inflated, instead of pulling it down, I carefully lift it off my head while keeping it squeezed shut, then look up at the ceiling, keeping the bag upright, and cover my mouth and nose with the bag, making sure I have a good seal. Once I lost consciousness, my hands fell away from my face and I woke up a few seconds later, the pins and needles went away after a minute or two.

R

Rose57

Student
Jan 2, 2019
Yes. That's what I describe above. I did it as the very end of my trial run checklist. Once the bag is inflated, instead of pulling it down, I carefully lift it off my head while keeping it squeezed shut, then look up at the ceiling, keeping the bag upright, and cover my mouth and nose with the bag, making sure I have a good seal. Once I lost consciousness, my hands fell away from my face and I woke up a few seconds later, the pins and needles went away after a minute or two.
How did you make a good seal with the tube in the way?

D

Deleted member 23726

Student
Nov 13, 2020
Where did you put the tube so it doesnt fall from the bag? Did u stick it on the bag with any special material?

Thanatonaut

Thanatonaut

My time is coming.
May 17, 2019
Do we do it with a scuba diving mask? Wouldnt that be better?
The thing about masks that people don't factor in is a reservoir. Unless you have an elaborate setup with the proper valves and regulators, the chances of you being able to have a plentiful enough gas supply, without popping your lungs like a couple of balloons, is slim. There has to be a reservoir so that you can take as deep a breath as you need with no resistance. When you see that green punching bag and/or the little chamber that rises and falls on an anesthesia machine or a ventilator, that's the same exact function as the Exit Bag.
Where did you put the tube so it doesnt fall from the bag? Did u stick it on the bag with any special material?
I just used the same micropore tape I used to make the bag. I followed 5 Last Acts steps to a T when building my bag.
How did you make a good seal with the tube in the way?
It's not a very thick tube. the nasal cannula that came with the MDB regulator.

Last edited: