platypusfan

platypusfan

Jun 29, 2023
I tried meditation like I tried everything else that people recommended.. and I felt stuck but I kept doing it. I suddenly made great progress in my mediation because of my insomnia, since I couldn't sleep I would lay there for hours and meditate. I noticed everything feels better when I get into that state.. but I also know it's not supposed to be an escape. Not like I can stay there forever. Outside of that I noticed I am a lot calmer but my anhedonia got a lot worse. Does anyone have any thoughts on this changing suicidal thoughts? I haven't noticed yet but I was wondering if anyone has recovered this way?? Or im just wondering if anyone here has a similar experience to mine. Does anyone have any thoughts on ego death?? I have heard of some people reaching that and although I don't understand it it feels like a possible route for recovery.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
Apparently many members seem to suffer from insomnia. Have you tried Melatonin ?
Maybe you want to contact this member and find out what the chinese physician gave him:

Reactions: platypusfan
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Sounds like a good pathway for recovery! I am not good at meditation but I have learned a lot about the topic through decades of study. It is a question of 'how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?'

Meditation in various forms has become mainstream as of recent decades, since calming the nervous system will bring innumerable benefits compared to being endlessly abused by our own internal thoughts. This can be a healthy part of a routine, but with the right understanding and guidance, also has the potential to go far deeper.

Ego death has two distinct definitions that I'm aware of. In the psychedelic community, it refers to an expansive and possibly blissful state that is experienced. By contrast, in the field of spirituality, it refers to a direct-experience, non-intellectual realisation that our normal sense of self is a total fiction. This leads to a radical and permanent shift in identity. This, too, is also likely to become mainstream in future decades.

To quickly cover your other questions.
Can you stay there forever? Two contradictory answers. At a practical level, there can still be a need for conventional therapies and problem-solving. But from the perspective of an awakened person, the meditative place of alive stillness is our timeless true nature; a substratum onto which the normal human experience is superimposed like a projection. Thus meditation the ONLY place we remain forever.

Changing suicidal thoughts? Again, two answers. Meditation can help people to stop 'buying into' harmful thoughts and thus reduce their intensity. The second, advanced answer is that the self at the centre of the turbulent human experience, and the identity as the human body-mind that is born and dies, will be exposed as never having existed; analogous to watching a TV and mistaking the image as real events.

Have people recovered this way? Definitely. The best example is Eckhart Tolle, who is a rare case of someone undergoing a spontaneous spiritual awakening in the midst of suicidal despair. The permanent awakening process is far slower for most people, though the benefits of dis-identifying from the mind (one of Eckhart's core teachings) are instantaneous.

• Love
Reactions: rationaltake, inanna, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
platypusfan

platypusfan

Jun 29, 2023
Apparently many members seem to suffer from insomnia. Have you tried Melatonin ?
Maybe you want to contact this member and find out what the chinese physician gave him:
i have tried melatonin, it didn't do much. But thank you for linking that thread. I have hydroxyzine and it works sometimes, I also got an EEG (brainscan) and the problem is definitely my own brain so maybe some type of calming herbs would help like that user got.
Sounds like a good pathway for recovery! I am not good at meditation but I have learned a lot about the topic through decades of study. It is a question of 'how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?'

Meditation in various forms has become mainstream as of recent decades, since calming the nervous system will bring innumerable benefits compared to being endlessly abused by our own internal thoughts. This can be a healthy part of a routine, but with the right understanding and guidance, also has the potential to go far deeper.

Ego death has two distinct definitions that I'm aware of. In the psychedelic community, it refers to an expansive and possibly blissful state that is experienced. By contrast, in the field of spirituality, it refers to a direct-experience, non-intellectual realisation that our normal sense of self is a total fiction. This leads to a radical and permanent shift in identity. This, too, is also likely to become mainstream in future decades.

To quickly cover your other questions.
Can you stay there forever? Two contradictory answers. At a practical level, there can still be a need for conventional therapies and problem-solving. But from the perspective of an awakened person, the meditative place of alive stillness is our timeless true nature; a substratum onto which the normal human experience is superimposed like a projection. Thus meditation the ONLY place we remain forever.

Changing suicidal thoughts? Again, two answers. Meditation can help people to stop 'buying into' harmful thoughts and thus reduce their intensity. The second, advanced answer is that the self at the centre of the turbulent human experience, and the identity as the human body-mind that is born and dies, will be exposed as never having existed; analogous to watching a TV and mistaking the image as real events.

Have people recovered this way? Definitely. The best example is Eckhart Tolle, who is a rare case of someone undergoing a spontaneous spiritual awakening in the midst of suicidal despair. The permanent awakening process is far slower for most people, though the benefits of dis-identifying from the mind (one of Eckhart's core teachings) are instantaneous.
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response, this is very interesting. I will definitely continue and maybe put more effort into studying these things. I read a little about spiritual awakening, the closest I got was understanding that everything I see is produced by my own mind and sort of feeling that too. I will look into Eckhart's teachings for sure. I guess using this alone for recovery will definitely take time but I've already made more progress with it than with any psychiatrist.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Pluto
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
maybe some type of calming herbs
You can also try valerian tincture or Kava Kava root (100% capsules or tablets). A tea mixture of hops, lavender and lemon balm could also help.
Melatonin 6 mg 30 minutes before bedtime.

Reactions: Pluto and platypusfan
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I read a little about spiritual awakening, the closest I got was understanding that everything I see is produced by my own mind and sort of feeling that too.
That's a great insight for sure! And as you say, it more about feeling into the underlying reality than gaining a mental understanding, which beyond a certain point just causes more mental noise. There's a lot on YouTube, too. I follow this guy, Dr. Angelo Dilullo, on a daily basis, as he's pretty much dedicated his whole life to the topic.

• Hugs
inanna

inanna

nervous Dom
Aug 12, 2023
The concept of ego death is misunderstood in that people assume it to be more than a temporary state of conscious realization. Your reality becomes reframed outside of your usual rigid boundaries and you feel a sense of connection to the all and ego dissolution. This state is most intense when your previous state of perception was fairly narrow, rigid, or mechanical.

The point of meditation is essentially focus training. You become one with the void. Observing the self but not engaging. From here, you can learn to access the OS and change and shift values, beliefs, engage with repressed emotions and memories and gain true autonomy. It's all part of the human experience.

Some people think it's "woo woo" but these people forget that the alchemy of yesterday became the science of today and modern material science is greatly de-valuing the subjective and intangible experience.

Well actually since Quantum physics came out... But still the average person is mostly familiar with material science.