pyx

pyx

Mage
Jun 5, 2024
i recently discovered a man by the name of Wilkes McDermid, a food journalist who committed suicide in 2015. i've been recently combing over information related to this man, partly because of his blog, containing his reasons for committing suicide https://wilkes888.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/my-final-blog-entry-love-you-all/

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/wilkes-mcdermid.281698/ (there are some very disrespectful people in this thread who misconstrue his issues, but these are rightfully called out by those who felt more sympathy, despite not fully understanding his reasoning).

i relate to this man a lot, and i hope that his memory will live on. one could say that he is the rightful progenitor of the blackpill, and ostensibly someone who was a kind, personable individual who unfortunately was celibate through no fault of his own.

there is also Otto Weininger, who committed suicide after completing his magnum opus, Geschlecht und Charakter, at the age of 23. he was a philosophical genius, perhaps antedating all analytic psychology and setting the stage for Viennese intellectual life at that time. he mortally wounded himself via gunshot to the chest in the house where Beethoven had died.

Akutagawa, Mainlander and Michelstaedter too. but these were all highly accomplished philosophers/artists, so in that sense i can only respect them, not relate to them. McDermid i can relate to.

are there any other people in the past who have committed suicide who you personally identify with?

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep, ramon, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 1 other person
R

ramon

Aug 10, 2024
Two cases:

For security reasons, I have to be vague on this first one:

During the XIX century, in my country, there was this caricaturist whose work never got any recognition as caricatures were too avant-garde for his time and there was, practically, no one who would understand or appreciate this kind of art. To make a long story short, knowing that his work would never see the light of day, he took his own life.

Today, his work is part of the permanent collection of some museum.

Like this caricaturist, my failure as a graphic artist is one of the reasons why I'm flirting with CTB.

The second case is Jason David Frank - one of the former main actors of the Power Ranges TV show saga.

His death occurred during a moment in my life where I was starting to realize no money, love, or advancements in health treatments could give me reasons to stay alive.

Some people have nothing to live for, yet have everything to fight for... others, just have nothing to fight for, therefore nothing to live for. I believe Jason David Frank was part of the latter... just like me.

His death was another small push that would get me closer to the bus stop we all talk here about.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: wren-briar, chester, pyx and 1 other person
mysteryboy

mysteryboy

Feb 8, 2024
Anybody with bipolar disorder who has decided to successfully follow through

Reactions: wren-briar and dogteeth
C

chester

Experienced
Aug 1, 2024
Some people have nothing to live for, yet have everything to fight for... others, just have nothing to fight for, therefore nothing to live for.
This. Exactly this. I can't really relate to anyone who committed suicide, but this sentence perfectly describes what's changed in my life and what's going on in my head. So this is what I relate to.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: ramon and wren-briar
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Chester Bennington. I liked his music a lot, and we have a lot in common - history of sexual abuse, bullying, and drug abuse.

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar
C

chester

Experienced
Aug 1, 2024
Chester Bennington. I liked his music a lot, and we have a lot in common - history of sexual abuse, bullying, and drug abuse.
I also like his music a lot. There were two songs which I listened to a lot when I had a plan for CTB and was sure I was going to do it soon. "One more light" and "shadow of the day". Not gonna lie, he inspired my username. I don't have much in common with him though experience-wise.

• Love
the_path_of_sorrows

the_path_of_sorrows

Different routes, same destination
Nov 26, 2023
Rozz Williams. I understand his reasons completely. His music touches the very core of my soul. Knowing that he's planned the whole thing out when he was a teenager, my greatest respects that he managed to live to be 34.

• Love
Plato'sCaveDweller

Plato'sCaveDweller

Sleep is good, death is better.
Sep 2, 2024
i recently discovered a man by the name of Wilkes McDermid, a food journalist who committed suicide in 2015. i've been recently combing over information related to this man, partly because of his blog, containing his reasons for committing suicide https://wilkes888.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/my-final-blog-entry-love-you-all/

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/wilkes-mcdermid.281698/ (there are some very disrespectful people in this thread who misconstrue his issues, but these are rightfully called out by those who felt more sympathy, despite not fully understanding his reasoning).

i relate to this man a lot, and i hope that his memory will live on. one could say that he is the rightful progenitor of the blackpill, and ostensibly someone who was a kind, personable individual who unfortunately was celibate through no fault of his own.

there is also Otto Weininger, who committed suicide after completing his magnum opus, Geschlecht und Charakter, at the age of 23. he was a philosophical genius, perhaps antedating all analytic psychology and setting the stage for Viennese intellectual life at that time. he mortally wounded himself via gunshot to the chest in the house where Beethoven had died.

Akutagawa, Mainlander and Michelstaedter too. but these were all highly accomplished philosophers/artists, so in that sense i can only respect them, not relate to them. McDermid i can relate to.

are there any other people in the past who have committed suicide who you personally identify with?
Holy shit, I was just thinking of mentioning Mainlander, but you beat me to it. He's my favorite philosopher of all time. He was gonna be my pick here, since I love his philosophy and it's definitely a factor in my philosophical reasons for CTB; I crave redemption!

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar and pyx
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I also like his music a lot. There were two songs which I listened to a lot when I had a plan for CTB and was sure I was going to do it soon. "One more light" and "shadow of the day". Not gonna lie, he inspired my username. I don't have much in common with him though experience-wise.
One More Light is a gorgeous song. I don't like their last album a lot, but this song is such a fucking gem. And the lyrics are really touching. It moved me a lot when LP played it in memory of Chester's best friend, Soundgarden's frontman Chris Cornell. Did you know that Chester killed himself on Chris Cornell's birthday? It may be one of the reasons why he did it on this particular day - although we'll never know for sure. But Chester seemed extremely affected by Chris Cornell's suicide.

Besides, this may come as offtopic, but are you excited about LP's reunion and new album? It was ballsy of them to give another singer a chance, especially as Chester is obviously so unique and irreplaceable, but Emily Armstrong has such a great voice and energy! I'm seeing them live next month! can't wait! Looking forward to it.
PS: when I first saw your username I wondered if you named it in Chester's honor! I seem to have my answer now. ☺️

• Love
Reactions: wren-briar and chester
Demi-Fiend

Demi-Fiend

Places We Never Went Together
Aug 12, 2024
One More Light is a gorgeous song. I don't like their last album a lot, but this song is such a fucking gem. And the lyrics are really touching. It moved me a lot when LP played it in memory of Chester's best friend, Soundgarden's frontman Chris Cornell. Did you know that Chester killed himself on Chris Cornell's birthday? It may be one of the reasons why he did it on this particular day - although we'll never know for sure. But Chester seemed extremely affected by Chris Cornell's suicide.

Besides, this may come as offtopic, but are you excited about LP's reunion and new album? It was ballsy of them to give another singer a chance, especially as Chester is obviously so unique and irreplaceable, but Emily Armstrong has such a great voice and energy! I'm seeing them live next month! can't wait! Looking forward to it.
PS: when I first saw your username I wondered if you named it in Chester's honor! I seem to have my answer now. ☺️
Should've dissolved Linkin Park and made a new band with Armstrong. Out of respect and homage to Chester.

• Love
L

lastch

Oct 2, 2024
Robin Williams. I find myself looking up information on his death and sympathising with him. I always loved him as an actor and was shocked when he died because all of the movies and interviews I watched with him he seemed like a happy soul. As they say the biggest smiles hide the most pain.

• Love
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I feel a sort of connection to anyone who has ended their life.

In terms of specific motives though- I probably feel the most connection to creative people. Maybe some of the first suicides I heard about I still connect with the most. Van Gogh (although, there is some debate on whether it was in fact suicide.) I used to look at his paintings and cry in sympathy with how much he must have been struggling.

Also, from the old BBC series 'I, Claudius', when his mother kills herself simply because she didn't like the way the world was changing and didn't want to be a part of it. I remember, even as a child thinking- fair enough. How refreshing too- it was accepted- at least for the wealthier classes in Roman times. Still no good if you were poor. But, she actually got to explain her reasoning and said goodbye. I remember thinking how sensible that was.

• Love
Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller, lastch and wren-briar
C

chester

Experienced
Aug 1, 2024
are you excited about LP's reunion and new album? It was ballsy of them to give another singer a chance, especially as Chester is obviously so unique and irreplaceable, but Emily Armstrong has such a great voice and energy! I'm seeing them live next month! can't wait! Looking forward to it.
The truth is I stopped listening to music after my fiance's death. The only time I listened to anything was when it was a tool of helping to get me in the proper mindset. As you can see, it didn't work, because I'm still here posting. I've lost the determination to do it, but I still haven't gained any will to live. If I ever recover, although it seems to me like such an abstract concept atm, then maybe I'll give her a listen.

• Aww..
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
The truth is I stopped listening to music after my fiance's death. The only time I listened to anything was when it was a tool of helping to get me in the proper mindset. As you can see, it didn't work, because I'm still here posting. I've lost the determination to do it, but I still haven't gained any will to live. If I ever recover, although it seems to me like such an abstract concept atm, then maybe I'll give her a listen.
Okay, fair enough.
Should've dissolved Linkin Park and made a new band with Armstrong. Out of respect and homage to Chester.
I don't think that's disrespecting Chester. That having been said, I think the main reason why they didn't start a new band is that Linkin Park as a name is enough to sell albums and fill stadiums. 💰💰💰