• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
Morning Ted pill, in the past 8 months I tried to cut some surrogate activities from my life like video games, movies, YouTube, even studying in university, making friends, etc., but I found myself just replacing them by (Twitter, music), and now by this website, I already made my decision to commit suicide long before I joined this site. My purpose in joining SS is to get the details and procedures for exit bags, but I think I fall into SS addiction. especially with my curious personality to assess and discover other people.

I only found peace in loving a woman "who unfortunately died long ago, and I never got to meet her, but my mutual beliefs with her are what keeps her alive in me." I know that because discontentment and boredom are absent from my feelings towards her. Unlike anything else.

Power Process

33.Human beings have a need (probably based in biology) for something that we will call the power process. This is closely related to the need for power (which is widely recognized) but is not quite the same thing. The power process has four elements. The three most clearcut of these we call goal, effort and attainment of goal. (Everyone needs to have goals whose attainment requires effort, and needs to succeed in attaining at least some of his goals.) The fourth element is more difficult to define and may not be necessary for everyone. We call it autonomy and will discuss it later
34. Consider the hypothetical case of a man who can have anything he wants just by wishing for it. Such a man has power, but he will develop serious psychological problems. At first he will have a lot of fun, but by and by he will become acutely bored and demoralized. Eventually he may become clinically depressed. History shows that leisured aristocracies tend to become decadent. This is not true of fighting aristocracies that have to struggle to maintain their power. But leisured, secure aristocracies that have no need to exert themselves usually become bored, hedonistic and demoralized, even though they have power. This shows that power is not enough. One must have goals toward which to exercise one's power.
35. Everyone has goals; if nothing else, to obtain the physical necessities of life: food, water and whatever clothing and shelter are made necessary by the climate. But
the leisured aristocrat obtains these things without effort.Hence his boredom and demoralization.
36. Nonattainment of important goals results in death if the goals are physical necessities, and in frustration if non-attainment of the goals is compatible with survival.Consistent failure to attain goals throughout life results in defeatism, low self-esteem or depression.
37. Thus, in order to avoid serious psychological problems, a human being needs goals whose attainment requires effort, and he must have a reasonable rate of success in attaining his goals.

Surrogate activities:

We use the term "surrogate activity" to designate an activity that is directed toward an artificial goal that people set up for themselves merely in order to have some
goal to work toward, or let us say, merely for the qake of the "fulfillment" that they get from pursuing the goal. Here is a rule of thumb for the identification of surrogate activities. Given a person who devotes much time and energy to the pursuit of goal X, ask yourself this: If he had to devote most of his time and energy to satisfying his biological needs, and if that effort required him to use his physical and mental faculties in a varied and interesting way, would he feel seriously deprived because he did not attain goal X? If the answer is no, then the person's pursuit of goal X is a surrogate activity. Hirohito's studies in marine biology clearly constituted a surrogate activity, since it is pretty certain that if Hirohito had had to spend his time working at interesting non-scientific tasks in order to obtain the necessities of life, he would not have felt deprived because he didn't know all about the anatomy and life-cycles of marine animals. On the other hand the pursuit of sex and love (for example) is not a surrogate activity, because most people, even if their existence were otherwise satisfactory, would feel deprived if they passed their lives without ever having a relationship with a member of the opposite sex. (But pursuit of an excessive amount of sex, more than one really needs, can be a surrogate activity.)
40. In modern industrial society only minimal effort is necessary to satisfy one's physical needs. It is enough to go through a training program to acquire some petty technical skill, then come to work on time and exert the very modest effort needed to hold a job. The only requirements are a moderate amount of intelligence and, most of all, simple OBEDIENCE. If one has those, society takes care of one from cradle to grave. (Yes, there is an underclass that cannot take the physical necessities for granted, but we are speaking here of mainstream society.) Thus it is not surprising that modern society is full of surrogate activities. These include scientific work, athletic achievement, humanitarian work, artistic and literary creation, climbing the corporate ladder, acquisition of money and material goods far beyond the point at which they cease to give any additional physical satisfaction, and social activism when it addresses issues that are not important for the activist personally, as in the case of white activists who
work for the rights of nonwhite minorities. These are not always PURE surrogate activities, since for many people they may be motivated in part by needs other than the
need to have some goal to pursue.

20231204 160302

pilotviolin

pilotviolin

Student
Jan 27, 2024
hey sorry if i cant give this post the same effort you put into it. i find the concept interesting and something to think about when i think about what i do in my life and if it is a surrogate activity or not... i definitely have heaps that arent really "produtive" like music and browsing here and honestly sometimes just sensory seeking shit like idk how to describe but ill do something that i used to do to cope with big emotions and now i do it with more curiosity and awareness because its something to do and observe like drugs or sh etc.

may i ask for a further explanation on what separates peace/contentment to a surrogate activity is thats alright? i understand attainment of needs vs surrogate activities but im not sure where the contentness lies in the dichtomy.

Reactions: xinino
surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
What is a Ted pill?

Nvm... Kaczynski? I thought you meant TED talks, lol

~~~
in the past 8 months I tried to cut some surrogate activities from my life like video games, movies, YouTube, even studying in university, making friends, etc., but I found myself just replacing them by (Twitter, music)
Why did you decide to cut those activities?
What do you think about putting your efforts towards finding a particular goal (as you cite T.K.) instead?

~~~
Seems like a good thread; I will contribute more later because I am busy now :notsure:

xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
hey sorry if i cant give this post the same effort you put into it. i find the concept interesting and something to think about when i think about what i do in my life and if it is a surrogate activity or not... i definitely have heaps that arent really "produtive" like music and browsing here and honestly sometimes just sensory seeking shit like idk how to describe but ill do something that i used to do to cope with big emotions and now i do it with more curiosity and awareness because its something to do and observe like drugs or sh etc.

may i ask for a further explanation on what separates peace/contentment to a surrogate activity is thats alright? i understand attainment of needs vs surrogate activities but im not sure where the contentness lies in the dichtomy.
Contentness is state of being satisfied and not needing or wanting anything more or anything else. It originally embedded in biological needs like food, drink, shelther, clothing, sex, sleep, love. You just need and want a limited amount of them.

But, surrogate activities are just designed to fill the void created by modernity, you always want or need, more not to survive but just to feel good, and there is no set limit of feeling good. So you will find yourself seeking things like more food, drink, sleep, social media... Which require more effort every time and if you do not pursue them, you will become even more depressed.
Sure but none of it is healthy or productive so what does it matter?
Productivity is a problem, I think we need to de-growth the economy.

Last edited:
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
No, only ceasing to exist can bring me peace, I really wish I never existed at all, I despise existing as a conscious being in this undesirable and meaningless existence. Existing truly is just unnecessary suffering and all I wish for is to be eternally unaware. For me the true problem lies in existence itself, I find it so tragic how something as hellish as life even exists at all.

xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
What is a Ted pill?

Nvm... Kaczynski? I thought you meant TED talks, lol

~~~

Why did you decide to cut those activities?
What do you think about putting your efforts towards finding a particular goal (as you cite T.K.) instead?

~~~
Seems like a good thread; I will contribute more later because I am busy now :notsure:
I decided to cut them because they are fake activities not related to survival; they are just designed to make me put in more effort and force me to want or need them just to feel good, as previous times I had experienced them, basically making me addicted to them. I just wanted to live a basic life without relying on surrogate activities, where I have a set of activities that produce a state of being satisfied and not wanting or needing anything more or anything else, which precisely what capitalistic society works against with their advertisements.

Regarding your second question, I don't have any problem putting in an effort to find a goal, but it needs to produce a state that I previously mentioned. That is why I ask you guys to tell me, What are the type of activities or goals that make you content?

surroundedbydemons

surroundedbydemons

Experienced
Mar 6, 2024
where I have a set of activities that produce a state of being satisfied and not wanting or needing anything more or anything else
Is it similar to the flow state (in the top right corner of the chart)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Maybe that idea of flow state, measured by the challenge level and your skill, can help you find what you are looking for.

That is why I ask you guys to tell me, What are the type of activities or goals that make you content?
Personally, I aim for full control over everything.

The idea sounds overly ambitious and broad - that is why you most likely will never exhaust it fully.
Yet, there are also simple steps that you can take to work towards that goal. For example: do you feel dehydrated? Drink water. Do you feel overhydrated? Take a diuretic. Are you losing electrolytes (salt, potassium) because of the diuretic?... etc.
While these steps may seem straightforward, that's precisely the point. You can apply the concept of control to various aspects of your life.

godbody

godbody

Apr 21, 2024
I decided to cut them because they are fake activities not related to survival; they are just designed to make me put in more effort and force me to want or need them just to feel good, as previous times I had experienced them, basically making me addicted to them. I just wanted to live a basic life without relying on surrogate activities, where I have a set of activities that produce a state of being satisfied and not wanting or needing anything more or anything else, which precisely what capitalistic society works against with their advertisements.

Regarding your second question, I don't have any problem putting in an effort to find a goal, but it needs to produce a state that I previously mentioned. That is why I ask you guys to tell me, What are the type of activities or goals that make you content?
So you cut them out despite them making you feel good? Just cuz you didn't want to rely on activities to make you feel good?

idk I don't get it. Are you happy or content or better off having replaced these activities that are useless in your mind with an addiction to SS? Like genuinely is this you just saying you prefer it this way, or do you?

xinino

xinino

I love to be sick
Mar 31, 2024
So you cut them out despite them making you feel good? Just cuz you didn't want to rely on activities to make you feel good?
I cut them because they become like a job where I have to put every day more effort just to feel fine, for example: complete video game achievement, finding new movie, song, game, app, finding a new interesting topics in yt .
Because, if I didn't to this stuff, i would feel deprived and sad. It is true that they made me happy but not content, also in same time I felt like prisoner.
Are you happy or content or better off having replaced these activities that are useless in your mind with an addiction to SS?
Yes, I am but partially.

I didn't say those activities are useless, they made me happy but discontent. I found contentment and happiness in loving a girl for example where "I didn't want anything more than her or anything or anyone else", she constantly made me feel happy and content without me ask for more of her.

And most importantly I never felt sad or deprived if I didn't experience her in long period. unlike movie, game, music...

I still listen to music, use Twitter, and SASU "I am not content cause I always seek more of this three activities" tho, I wouldn't say I am addicted or dependent on SASU, Twitter because I can pass days without using them as fine without feeling sad, but not music, I think I am still addicted to music.

Last edited: