O

offbalance

Student
Dec 16, 2021
I'm genuinely torn on what to put. I kind of want to do short and sweet and just pack a lot of punch in my words.

Reactions: sserafim
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
Mine is 20 pages long. Most of it is just refutations to what I assume will be their biggest objections (ex. "You're too young", "You're going to miss out on so much happiness", etc.) The actual "why" is only about two pages long.

• Wow
Reactions: sserafim and dggtscccvfd
O

offbalance

Student
Dec 16, 2021
Mine is 20 pages long. Most of it is just refutations to what I assume will be their biggest objections (ex. "You're too young", "You're going to miss out on so much happiness", etc.) The actual "why" is only about two pages long.
Well thought out. Congrats.

fantastic_unicorn

fantastic_unicorn

Mar 23, 2024
Mine isn't too long. Page maybe.

Christopher Reeve

Christopher Reeve

Ein wunderschöner Baum um sich zu erhängen
Mar 27, 2024
I write and write, but I always think that my words are insufficient, I think there is no way to be understood.

Reactions: forfever and Alexei_Kirillov
Iris Blue

Iris Blue

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Oct 23, 2023
I write and write, but I always think that my words are insufficient, I think there is no way to be understood.
I can agree with you a lot. Mine is a couple pages but after a while it just seems like they are and only will be words to whomever is reading it and they won't feel the actual emotions that go with the note.

Reactions: Christopher Reeve and offbalance
O

offbalance

Student
Dec 16, 2021
That's kind of why I want to make it short and sweet since I think anything I say will be insufficient anyway. And they say brevity is the cousin of wit

Reactions: ihateearth and Alexei_Kirillov
D

dggtscccvfd

Mage
Jun 1, 2023
I'm genuinely torn on what to put. I kind of want to do short and sweet and just pack a lot of punch in my words.
I've written one for family, with nice anecdotes of happy times. I've written one for the coroner, laying out the reasons for my suicide. I've written one for my friends, thanking them for being there. Lastly, I've written one for wider society laying out my views on assisted suicide and how it's unfair I have to die via SN poisoning.

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, DefinitelyReady and offbalance
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
It takes me forever to write things, just perfectionism and a lot to say, and the idea is daunting and full of dread. How long did that take you?
Is it typed or handwritten?

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
It takes me forever to write things, just perfectionism and a lot to say, and the idea is daunting and full of dread. How long did that take you?

Is it typed or handwritten?
Typed.

It was really hard for me to get started because with depression, my energy was already so low. There were a couple of false starts, where I would write something and find it wholly unsatisfying and delete it, but I finally got it going once I distilled what I wanted to say to the basics, narrowed the scope (it doesn't have to be all things to all people), and identified my goals.

For me the basics were 1) life isn't worth it and 2) nonexistence cannot harm me. And my goal was to make it known that this was something I had thought carefully about, that I had already considered anything professionals or non-professionals alike had to say, that ending one's own life is a valid, rational position. After my death, above all I didn't want to be seen as a poor young victim of depression or society. I wanted to be seen as someone who autonomously and lucidly made a choice about their own life.

All in all, it took me about 1.5 months to finish.

If you think you have too much to say, I would recommend a similar process where you boil your CTB down to its most essential parts and just start there. You can add more later but thinking of the entire thing can be overwhelming.

Reactions: INTJme, DefinitelyReady and offbalance
DefinitelyReady

DefinitelyReady

*perpetually annoyed*
Mar 14, 2024
Typed.

It was really hard for me to get started because with depression, my energy was already so low. There were a couple of false starts, where I would write something and find it wholly unsatisfying and delete it, but I finally got it going once I distilled what I wanted to say to the basics, narrowed the scope (it doesn't have to be all things to all people), and identified my goals.

For me the basics were 1) life isn't worth it and 2) nonexistence cannot harm me. And my goal was to make it known that this was something I had thought carefully about, that I had already considered anything professionals or non-professionals alike had to say, that ending one's own life is a valid, rational position. After my death, above all I didn't want to be seen as a poor young victim of depression or society. I wanted to be seen as someone who autonomously and lucidly made a choice about their own life.

All in all, it took me about 1.5 months to finish.

If you think you have too much to say, I would recommend a similar process where you boil your CTB down to its most essential parts and just start there. You can add more later but thinking of the entire thing can be overwhelming.
Thank you for taking the time to write that out. I know how exhausting even that is. :)

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov and offbalance
daft

daft

Master of none.
Apr 19, 2023
I've thought about it a lot. Written one or two over the last 15 years. I'm torn on the blame aspect. As much as I want to tell people what happened, and to express myself, it's not how I want to be seen in my last moment. It's not worth making someone else unhappy or making others hate them out of some sense of spite. Blame looks petty in the face of death.

I want it to be short and sweet. Like something from a movie. Maybe a little note on which song I'd like to be played in my memory. Maybe a snarky or snide little comment, not making it super serious. But that's about it.

I

ihateearth

Student
Apr 1, 2024
Short. One page. I've said all I needed to say in life. My biological family were a bunch of dysfunctional users. They'll hear about my passing from people. Not much to say. Life wasn't good for me overall and started crappy so I want out. Take care. Sorry. I forgive you. Be well. Love. Bye.

I really wondered if I should leave a note. That almost makes it worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeaffirmingchoice
cosmic_traveler

cosmic_traveler

Eternal Spirit Experiencing a Human Moment
Dec 23, 2023
We don't see the benefit of writing anything but instructions. We have reused the same note a couple times now,

"When found, please call *shit father* and *shittier sister*"

LunaRose

LunaRose

I just want to float in nothingness
Nov 25, 2023
Mine is just telling them who I was, what happened, and having some lyrics.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
More than a paragraph is likely to just be mindless rambling.

I doubt anyone will read much past that anyway.

For me, short and sweet wins out every time. Keep it simple I guess.

B

bipbapbop

Experienced
Mar 7, 2024
I may not leave a note but if I do I would keep it as short as possible. No more than 10 words. I imagine that if I start getting into it, I'll never know when to stop.

B

born_borken

Apr 1, 2024
I am not 100% sure yet.
But probably one page for my dad, who supported me a lot. He's convinced I am normal and can heal. I want to explain one last time that I can't do anything about it, that nothing is his fault, and that I would have preferred to stay if I could. Thanking him and apologizes for this and other stuff.

A lot less for the few other peoples in my life. Just telling them that it is 0% their fault, that there was nothing they could have done differently and thanking them for everything.

Reactions: dggtscccvfd