Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
Hey so what you're talking about are the SMPTE Color bars. Afaik, the picture that Silenos posted is a PAL sign-off test pattern, PM5544. I actually use it myself to test colours and geometry on a CRT. NTSC countries used test patterns such as the SMPTE color bars or the Indian test pattern (for the sacred land of freedom units) when signing off. What you have to keep in mind is that when you see a test pattern such as the color bars, there is a signal, it is just sending the test pattern picture to the TV. When there truly is no signal, you'll see static. Like this:

glitch texture GIF by hoppip
Oks i never knew there was differences this is interesting ,my VCR is a PAL/NTSC and i have my TV BOX connected to it Via HDMI2AV ,but it makes sense quality goes down unless you've got a 4:3 TV screen which they do not usually have these days.. usually LCD or LED screens and Plasma n what not.. you're right about the truely no signal part ,i have that come up on my old TV too.. my big ones old too but not fat..

watereyes

watereyes

les malheurs de lizzie
Mar 27, 2020
Oks i never knew there was differences this is interesting ,my VCR is a PAL/NTSC and i have my TV BOX connected to it Via HDMI2AV ,but it makes sense quality goes down unless you've got a 4:3 TV screen which they do not usually have these days.. usually LCD or LED screens and Plasma n what not.. you're right about the truely no signal part ,i have that come up on my old TV too.. my big ones old too but not fat..
Yeah I wouldnt plug any VHS or beta VCR on a flatscreen it would just look absolutely awful. I always use CRT televisions for this purpose. And yeah, the HDMI2AV adapter displays NTSC SMPTE Color bars when it has no HDMI signal. Pretty much what TV stations did back in the day when there was no feed from any of the cameras in the studio.

Reactions: Simba
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah I wouldnt plug any VHS or beta VCR on a flatscreen it would just look absolutely awful. I always use CRT televisions for this purpose. And yeah, the HDMI2AV adapter displays NTSC SMPTE Color bars when it has no HDMI signal. Pretty much what TV stations did back in the day when there was no feed from any of the cameras in the studio.
Beta Videos lol VHS ended up winning them out ,i dont mind on my flat screen like it still has some of a back unlike today's flat screens ,for watching films etc is good plus i can tape whatever show i want on TV on to my VCR too ,my small fat TV i guess is just too small for my room cause my old room was bit smaller so my small TV usetoo be like up on wall.. n i thought that was my VCR displaying the color signal not the HDMI2AV plug

settheory

settheory

Bundle of perceptions
Jul 29, 2021
Test. Does it let me share .txt?

Attachments

• test1.txt
    14 bytes · Views: 0