• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
Last month my therapist suggested I try an inpatient program. I went with it because I figured I might as well try everything before I ctb. Worst experience of my life, no exaggeration, don't wanna get into it. When I got out and told my therapist it not only didn't help but the immense stress made my anxiety & suicidal ideation even worse, she said she doesn't feel eqipped to treat me and I need to find a new therapist. She also said most therapists won't want to take an actively suicidal patient. Well she wA right, contacted a bunch of therapists on psychologytoday and gaven't gotten a single "yes". Seems like I'd need therapy MORE fof being actively suicidal but ig that's just the world we live in. End of the line for me anx therapy I guess.

sugar

sugar

Nov 24, 2020
Sorry this happened to you.

Did you feel like your therapist was helping you? Sometimes it's better that therapists cease therapy with patients when there's no progress, otherwise it's a waste of money and time.

I don't really understand why psychologists wouldn't take on a suicidal patient when they need urgent help. Probably to cover their own asses or the dread of a patient killing themselves.

I hope you can find a therapist who can help you.

CatabolicSeed

CatabolicSeed

they/them
Feb 19, 2020
She was helping a little but there was more bad than good with her. This is probably for the best. It's just so bitterly comical that even my therapist abandoned me. I talked to the crisis tect line about it and they said "How painful and difficult all of this must be for you. It sounds like you have nowhere to turn for help." I can't stop thinking about that line.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I've had this happen. It does feel like rejection, but really it's not. It's not helpful to either of you to continue the relationship if you aren't benefitting from the level of therapy she's able to provide. And by admitting that, she's giving you a chance to get better help and not just milking you for money and wasting your time. I think it's a sign that you are more than just a paycheck.

When I've had therapists say they couldn't help me, it mostly sucked but it also gave me a clue how to do it better next time. Each time I have to get a new one, I'm more aware of what did and didn't work and who to avoid.

There are plenty of therapists who list suicidal ideation as a specialty, so it isn't hopeless. Not every one is qualified for that, so it's probably best if they can be avoided up front anyway. I've a lot of under-qualified ones, and it was a nightmare all around. You can look up local therapists by specialty on sites like psychology today, so that should help. I was browsing it earlier and saw a lot who list suicide.

demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I'm sorry that happened to you. It sounds like she wasn't a very good therapist, or a very good person. There are some really terrible, callous therapists out there, and they're far more common than the good ones.

If you really want to, keep looking for therapists. Make sure they have suicidal thoughts/ideation as one of their specialities.

They preach about how you should always find help, then make it so difficult to get. It's really nuts.

drwt

drwt

Dec 1, 2020
In a way it does make sense even if it's hard to accept.

Dumb example but look at the car mechanic industry for example. You have people there that can repair any kind of damage and fix any car but then you have a lot that are too afraid to touch the complicated machines and rather stick to the simple jobs - they're just not qualified enough to do the difficult work and would do more harm than good.
Same thing with therapists. A lot lack the experience / brainpower / patience to actually help.

Keep looking for someone who is able to really help :smiling:

NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
(o.o) Omg, so much for being supportive, smh. That's absolutely maddening.

Sorry you had to experience that. Suicidal ideation seems to follow the rules of fight club.

Last edited:
rabbithole

rabbithole

Experienced
Oct 26, 2020
same happened to me. I'm really sorry. it's so hard to get adequate help.

Reactions: sadworld