N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I watched the 5 last minutes of the world cup finale. So my boycott failed. I watched the penalty shooting. Messi is now the GOAT and Mbappe will be his successor.

I had the idea for this thread when I listened to journalists mocking Cristiano Ronaldo and how he cried. Personally I dislike Ronaldo completely but there was no reason to mock him in such a cruel way. Of course I won't paint the multimillionaire CR7 as the loser of the life lottery.
But I think it is an example how life works. If you have good genes, top talent and always win you will be celebrated. Ronaldo worked way harder than Messi and the journalist depicted this fact as something negative. He was not meant to be the best. Now he is arrogant, no club wants him anymore and he is way beyond his peak.

There is probably some truth in it. But I think this is an easy example how narratives work. If you win like Messi you just deserve the victory, your personality will be exaggerated to the best person there is. As demi-God will he be celebrated. And Ronaldo who lost is now depicted as full of misery, resentment, arrogance and he just did not deserve it.

I experienced similar in therapy. When I really was close to treatment resistance by doctors blamed me for it. For not trying hard enough. Then by accident I got better and was praised for it.

The notion of a just meritocracy is so toxic. I think it often leads to victim blaming.

There are probably way more nuances to be discussed on that topic. Though I dislike how people are treated when they just cannot get better. I received a lot of shitty comments on it. In the end I had some success in recovery but there were a huge portion of luck involved. I don't want to feel fully responsible for it. Because in such a case I would also have to blame me when the ship is sinking.

Personally I think my life won't end good. I think I will be forced to commit suicide. I don't want to blame myself at the end. So I am now sceptical when my therapists praise me for my (current) progress. It is true my motivation was also very important. But in the end I have no full control of it. And in my case I think the dream of an happy end is rather naive. But I act as if I believed in it so that the people around me don't have to panic. But I can fully openly say to you. I am anxious as fuck. And not being able to show that is hurtful. At least I can do it here in this forum and with my friends. Even though it is kind of repetitive.

Life is not fair. The winners will always be celebrated. The losers will receive pity the best. But probably also pejorative comments. From some people I had the feeling they metaphorically spit me in the face when I was down and so vulnerable.

The notion of a just meritocracy is so naive. But this narrative is so fucking powerful

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: katagiri83 and Un-
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
CR is disciplined, persevering, diligent, focused, with attitude, a "go for it" Messi is plain talented. Both great players.

There are few things you can control and a lot of things out your control, according to stoic philosophy everything you can't control should be indifferent but in practice it's more complicated.