ElectronicPoet

ElectronicPoet

Aug 22, 2023
TW: Self Harm/Cutting

This is a no-judgment discussion where I'm purely interested in knowing everyone's thoughts and points of view!

With the rise of self-harm Twitter, I've become more familiar with people romanticizing self-harm. This is especially applicable to cutting. As someone who does partake, it's had me thinking recently about the culture surrounding cutting. I see so many posts making it seem cutesy and fun with comments that support that sentiment.

While I've been one to give tips to people in need to help them self-harm safely, I truly wouldn't wish to see anybody do it and though it's hypocritical of me, I don't encourage it. I only give safety tips or don't intervene when people cut because I know that it doesn't make a difference. Being someone who cuts, people telling me not to has zero effect on whether I do or not. If anything, it's annoying to try to research things about it and be met with warnings and rants about why it's awful and "you're loved", followed by the shitty alternatives to cutting. I suppose I just understand how it feels to just wish people would shut up and give you the answers you need. Despite being a not-so-active, but still standing on the sidelines member of the self-harm community, I've never really felt the urge to romanticize and "kawaii-ify" my cutting. It's always been just that: cutting. Nothing cute about the relentless pain I feel that makes me do that to myself, y'know?

That being said, I've been trying to deepen my understanding as to why people do it. It's almost enticing, in all honesty. I think recently, especially, much of the online space has been trying to "romanticize" anything and everything. I've seen people make videos like "romanticizing making pasta šŸ˜Š" and just cooking with cute emojis and music and mannerisms. (Yes, I'm being dead serious.) Even if that's silly, though, I understand the need to find beauty in everything. The world seems so miserable and monotonous that sometimes I think we all make things so much more "pretty" or "perfect" than they need to be just to cope with that fact. But doing that with self-harm seems different. I mean, it's hurting yourself. I feel like it's
supposed to be bleak and depressing. What exactly is the point of making it cute and cool? I wish I knew.

Rant aside, please give your thoughts in the comments/replies!
How do you feel about glorifying or romanticizing cutting?
Why do you think people do it?
If you are someone who does it, please share why!
Would you ever do it, or support someone else doing it?

This is a safe space! You won't be judged regardless of your opinion. And please keep replies respectful to one another! We're just here to discuss, not argue! <3

• Informative
Reactions: restingplace, HemlockWizard and Suicidebydeath
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
I don't actively SH, but I can understand why people do, and why it gets romanticized. Everyone has their own methods of coping. I get judged for my coping methods sometimes, esp. by people that are abusive towards me, and it's gaming. Definitely not trying to say that SH = gaming and that they're in any way on an equivalent level, SH has a higher shock value too, however, mine does help me to feel better sometimes. Taking that away from me isn't productive, so I think it's the same with SH. I think treating the source of pain instead of SH itself might be better. Just telling someone they're loved isn't always enough.

I've felt like it sometimes, but I'm no more capable of performing it than injuring someone else I care about. I don't think I would support the act of SH itself, but I wouldn't criticize it either. I would give the person support instead. Let people cope in any way they can, everybody's different. I would never judge or avoid someone because they had SH scars too. Perhaps people notice my scars and wonder whether they are self-inflicted, when they are not. People are too quick to judge others without understanding their scenario, imo.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ElectronicPoet
PeterRabbit28064212

PeterRabbit28064212

28:06:42:12
Jan 28, 2024
i think the romatiziation of sh is unfortunate especially on social media because of how easily young teens can be influenced into partaking in things like self harm or eating disorders even when that' s not the intent of many people online. of course i say this as the biggest hypocrite ever because ShEdtwts one of the online spaces i am most active in and even have made many close friends though the community. part of it is absolutely competitiveness when it comes to people posting photos and such. i think there is nothing inherently wrong with self harm because for many people it cam be a necessary substitute for something much worse /more dangerous.

i think part of the appeal of ShEdtwt outside of feeding our own self destruction is having a place to speak about these topics where it is not taboo (at least within the subtwt) which is similar to the appeal of this forum for me (and like the resources but yk). and while im sure these subtwts do more harm than good i like to think that the harm reduction threads and stuff atleast help people to some degree.

sorry these sentences are out of order im rlly tired rn.

• Love
Reactions: ElectronicPoet and Suicidebydeath
ElectronicPoet

ElectronicPoet

Aug 22, 2023
i think the romatiziation of sh is unfortunate especially on social media because of how easily young teens can be influenced into partaking in things like self harm or eating disorders even when that' s not the intent of many people online. of course i say this as the biggest hypocrite ever because ShEdtwts one of the online spaces i am most active in and even have made many close friends though the community. part of it is absolutely competitiveness when it comes to people posting photos and such. i think there is nothing inherently wrong with self harm because for many people it cam be a necessary substitute for something much worse /more dangerous.

i think part of the appeal of ShEdtwt outside of feeding our own self destruction is having a place to speak about these topics where it is not taboo (at least within the subtwt) which is similar to the appeal of this forum for me (and like the resources but yk). and while im sure these subtwts do more harm than good i like to think that the harm reduction threads and stuff atleast help people to some degree.

sorry these sentences are out of order im rlly tired rn.
Totally agree with this! Thanks for your input <3
I don't actively SH, but I can understand why people do, and why it gets romanticized. Everyone has their own methods of coping. I get judged for my coping methods sometimes, esp. by people that are abusive towards me, and it's gaming. Definitely not trying to say that SH = gaming and that they're in any way on an equivalent level, SH has a higher shock value too, however, mine does help me to feel better sometimes. Taking that away from me isn't productive, so I think it's the same with SH. I think treating the source of pain instead of SH itself might be better. Just telling someone they're loved isn't always enough.

I've felt like it sometimes, but I'm no more capable of performing it than injuring someone else I care about. I don't think I would support the act of SH itself, but I wouldn't criticize it either. I would give the person support instead. Let people cope in any way they can, everybody's different. I would never judge or avoid someone because they had SH scars too. Perhaps people notice my scars and wonder whether they are self-inflicted, when they are not. People are too quick to judge others without understanding their scenario, imo.
I love this response, it's a good way of looking at it! Thanks for sharing :)

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
I think just romanticizing it and keeping it to yourself is fine. I romanticize death and suicide, that's been fine it's my way of making dying a little easier for myself. I wasn't going to recover either way, might as well make my death feel better. It becomes a problem when people post about SH and glorify it or encourage others to do it. I would still say it's fine if you glorify SH with someone else who already glorifies it.

• Love
Reactions: ElectronicPoet and Neverfeltdeader
ElectronicPoet

ElectronicPoet

Aug 22, 2023
I think just romanticizing it and keeping it to yourself is fine. I romanticize death and suicide, that's been fine it's my way of making dying a little easier for myself. I wasn't going to recover either way, might as well make my death feel better. It becomes a problem when people post about SH and glorify it or encourage others to do it. I would still say it's fine if you glorify SH with someone else who already glorifies it.
Makes sense, thank you for sharing! :)