Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
Those places never helped anyone. They're glorified jails designed to drug your problems away. The only thing it's done is make my problems worse. You're not even treated as a human in those places regardless of how sane you seem to be. Then once it's on your record you get treated like that for life. If I had known how much worse it could get, I never would have looked for help. We need to keep telling our stories so we can at least warn others that it only makes it worse.

Reactions: Skathon and puppy9
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
Those places never helped anyone. They're glorified jails designed to drug your problems away. The only thing it's done is make my problems worse. You're not even treated as a human in those places regardless of how sane you seem to be. Then once it's on your record you get treated like that for life. If I had known how much worse it could get, I never would have looked for help. We need to keep telling our stories so we can at least warn others that it only makes it worse.
Unfortunately I agree with you. They just hold you there and medicate you in a pseudoscientific and experimental way.

Reactions: Skathon and puppy9
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Something I realised lately is that not once in all the times I ended up in the er or in the psych ward for an attempt , did any nurse or doctor ask me Why I tried to kill myself. Never. They just made it more and more complicated.

It's such an obvious question, however many problems there might be, some of them would have practical solutions that might help ease someone's situation and help them back up.

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon and Walilamdzi
C

catmom13

My brain is broken
Apr 29, 2020
I'm sorry that happened to you. I was hospitalized once(California) and my experience wasn't as bad. How are you doing now?

The worst part of my stay were the weekday shift nurses who were mean as hell and didn't see us as people worth talking to politely or making eye contact with.The weekend staff were amazing and nice.I was in the low risk/low security ward and I eventually earned the privilege of eating in the cafeteria and1 hour of outdoor time in the afternoon.

I discovered rice pudding in that place, and I treat myself to a cup when I miss the people I befriended in there.

BeeLoyal

BeeLoyal

Is Existence Just A Test?
Apr 27, 2020
I don't get how they could allow two male patients to get close enough to me to sexually assault me 3x each when I was categorised as vulnerable, then they didn't go through protocol of getting a report or anything about what happened. Yeah exactly, they shouldn't allow someone to follow you around.
Wow I feel very sorry for you.
Here in Germany, it seems that Adult Psych ward is fairly good.
peace

Reactions: Walilamdzi
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I'm sorry that happened to you. I was hospitalized once(California) and my experience wasn't as bad. How are you doing now?

The worst part of my stay were the weekday shift nurses who were mean as hell and didn't see us as people worth talking to politely or making eye contact with.The weekend staff were amazing and nice.I was in the low risk/low security ward and I eventually earned the privilege of eating in the cafeteria and1 hour of outdoor time in the afternoon.

I discovered rice pudding in that place, and I treat myself to a cup when I miss the people I befriended in there.

Thank you, I'm glad your experience wasn't as bad. I'm feeling really lethargic, kind of catatonic and really wanting out of this world. That's sounds awful though, can't believe they would treat you like that. How long were you in there?

Wow I feel very sorry for you.
Here in Germany, it seems that Adult Psych ward is fairly good.
peace

What is it like in Germany?

Reactions: Ybother
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah. They ask you how you're feeling and then higher your medication. I don't understand the doctors at any mental hospital.

How you're feeling on a scale of 1 to 10, cause that makes so much more sense than using words to say how you feel

Reactions: puppy9 and Walilamdzi
Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
I once thought that the possibility of tranquilising patients into a vegetative condition is just a hyperbole or a film trope... I also made a fatal miscalculation assumed the process should not be painful.
"For every step you take is just one more fatal mistake..." ©

Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I'm sorry to hear just how horrible your time there was, being for 3 months, fuck I don't know what I would have come out as.
I rationally know that my time wasn't that awful, but it fucking traumatized me. I came out, and was having tremors, I couldn't keep food down for about two months, and get flash backs and nightmares still. I won't enter hospitals at all, and every time I see an ambulance I get a tremor in my chest. Worst part of all of this, was I wasn't even planning anything at the time. I was so apathetic from the anti-depressants I was on killing myself felt like too much effort. So being in the US, and a nanny state one at that I can't buy a gun for another 5 years.

But I cannot imagine going through what you went through on top of that. It's fucked, having been I don't see how anyone thinks those places are a an option at all for someone that is suicidal. The people with schizophrenia, addiction problems, and a few other mental illness seemed like it was regular occurrence. But those that were there for suicidal reasons where all freaking the fuck out the most. The system is fucked.

Reactions: Skathon and GoBack
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
How you're feeling on a scale of 1 to 10, cause that makes so much more sense than using words to say how you feel
It's all part of an objectification process. You as a patient are viewed as an impersonal object on which to perform certain procedures and to generate knowledge. This knowledge – diagnoses, observed behaviours, results of standardized evaluations like asking you to rate your mood a scale of 1 to 10 – is then used to further manipulate you, to generate a desired outcome.

The method of psychiatry is flawed at the core, because it assumes a subject-object relationship, which stems from the development of the scientific method in the 17th and 18th century; but science largely deals with inanimate objects without a subjective experience. You can observe a rock or a galaxy in every which manner you want to, it will not influence the behaviour of those objects. But as a psychiatrist, this observer, subject- object approach heavily influences the behaviour of your observed "object"; the formal aspect of the relationship cannot be ignored in subject-subject relationships.

Common sense should tell them: Being treated as an object for experiments by all-powerful strangers in a lab cannot possibly be the way for a person (a subject!) to build trust, confidence, autonomy etc.

Imagine a traumatized and mistrustful dog. How would one go about helping this dog to trust again, to feel better about itself? By respecting it's boundaries and thus slowly earning it's trust and getting to know it? – or by putting it in a cage, restraining it, giving it injections, screaming at it, watching it from a distance in a suspicious manner, etc ?

You should read R.D. Laing, he was one of the first psychiatrists who understood this fundamental flaw in the method of psychiatry and pointed out that to help a person heal, you need to treat them as an equal.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Skathon, puppy9 and GoBack
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Yep that sums it up. And being treated like an object by someone who clearly has power over you makes a person defensive, or shut down, or even violent. Which is then all part of your illness,, not just a natural reaction to bring cornered.

I'll look up Rd Laing thanks.

Reactions: Skathon, puppy9, disabledandhopeless and 1 other person
a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Here is a great documentary on him (you can tell, he was clearly bordering on insanity himself at times).

C

catmom13

My brain is broken
Apr 29, 2020
Thank you, I'm glad your experience wasn't as bad. I'm feeling really lethargic, kind of catatonic and really wanting out of this world. That's sounds awful though, can't believe they would treat you like that. How long were you in there?

I was there for 4 days. It felt like an eternity since I didn't have much entertainment, but it was nice to meet people in similar situations. It helped me feel less alone.

Are you still feeling the same way right now?

W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
I was there for 4 days. It felt like an eternity since I didn't have much entertainment, but it was nice to meet people in similar situations. It helped me feel less alone.

Are you still feeling the same way right now?
Yeah feeling really unable to cope with with world.

• Hugs
Reactions: catmom13