wilted_biography

wilted_biography

Jun 11, 2022
Yes, suffering in general feels as cursed as it gets with an endless laundry list of negative aspects….BUT…

Is there a personal up-side to your pain? I feel as though it has carved me into a simpler, kinder, more modest human being with a real sense of deepened empathy and compassion. Widened patience. More giving and generous with my time. And a true feel for myself and the world.

Is there any "positive" benefit you see within yourself due to your immense experience with pain?

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: bing, Pluto, chyme and 3 others
H

hush hush

Student
May 13, 2022
Yes, suffering in general feels as cursed as it gets with an endless laundry list of negative aspects….BUT…

Is there a personal up-side to your pain? I feel as though it has carved me into a simpler, kinder, more modest human being with a real sense of deepened empathy and compassion. Widened patience. Mostly non-reactivity. With a true feel for myself and the world.

Is there any "positive" benefit you see within yourself due to your immense experience with pain?
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in suffering" Nietzsche
Life is a process of trying to rationalize the suffering brought about by your existence. Personally, I find no meaning in suffering, since the aim of life is killing your time until time kills you. I cannot rationalize it so I would be more than willing to give back "the gift of life". Certainly, the less suffering you experience, the less likely it is to question life.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, MountainMonkey, rationaltake and 5 others
toasterbath

toasterbath

Jun 26, 2022
yeah but i now see being an INFP and having a lot of empathy/compassion/emotional intelligence as a bad thing. i get used by other people a lot, stepped on, and i've helped other people too much to the point where i should have been focusing on myself. it's a cold world where you need to be a wolf to get ahead.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, rationaltake and 3 others
8evergo

8evergo

Mage
Oct 20, 2021

Is there a personal up-side to your pain? I feel as though it has carved me into a simpler, kinder, more modest human being with a real sense of deepened empathy and compassion. Widened patience. More giving and generous with my time. And a true feel for myself and the world.

yes :

life is pain

Reactions: wilted_biography
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
If it's a reasonable amount of pain that's one thing, it there is real hope of getting your life to work that's one thing, but when it leads to ctb it is not worth whatever you can learn from it.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, rationaltake, Élégie and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No, I could never see suffering as being positive. To me all suffering is unnecessary and I would have been better off without it. Life is completely meaningless and it is just a pointless experience that we go through for the sake of it. If I never existed I would have avoided all this pain. I was perfectly fine not existing until I was forced to live.

I think that people try to see pain as being positive in some way as they do not want to accept that it has no purpose and it is a way to cope with how life has treated them. The truth is, that life is random and everything is determined by luck and chance. Some people are just unlucky in life. The cruelty and unfairness of life is so horrifying and that is all that suffering will ever be to me.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, RainAndSadness and 4 others
8evergo

8evergo

Mage
Oct 20, 2021
If it's a reasonable amount of pain that's one thing, it there is real hope of getting your life to work that's one thing, but when it leads to ctb it is not worth whatever you can learn from it.
life is pain yes I have experienced so much pain or do you think because of a pain people want to go know what unforeseen pain I suffer how can you cope with something like that

• Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, Someone123 and wilted_biography
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
life is pain yes I have experienced so much pain or do you think because of a pain people want to go know what unforeseen pain I suffer how can you cope with something like that
There are no easy answer. I do wish I knew what I know now when I was younger, my life would have turned out much better.

• Hugs
Reactions: wilted_biography and 8evergo
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
Suffering makes sense if there is potentially greater good ahead. Pure suffering, like illness with no chance of recovery, is meaningless.

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Dead Meat and 5 others
ExtraordinaryDefeat_

ExtraordinaryDefeat_

Apr 3, 2021

Suffering made me sentinent and full of compassion towards people suffering mentally. My intelligence also seems to have increased because of my "awakening". I'm also mentally stronger than an average person (who hasn't experienced a depressive episode, ofc). I also learned to be grateful towards little things I have and I often have those magical moments where I'm just focused on listening to my favourite album or petting my cat. Those moments are priceless for me.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Eternal🌈Rainbow, Pluto and 1 other person
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
I think there can some value in suffering. It could build resilience, among other things….like others have said, empathy, compassion, gratitude.

I used to feel like there was an upside to my suffering. Now it feels like there's no benefit. I feel like I've regressed back into the total piece of shit I was in 2020. Fuck.

Anyway. Yes there can be some benefits, I guess it just depends on the person and their circumstances, etc. :|

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Dead Meat, Élégie and 4 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Living with debilitating, chronic pain has zero up sides. There's no wisdom, no dignity, no lessons. There's only suffering. Meaningless, endless suffering.

• Aww..
Reactions: Niko66, Skathon, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 7 others
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
I feel as though it has carved me into a simpler, kinder, more modest human being with a real sense of deepened empathy and compassion

Suffering made me sentinent and full of compassion towards people suffering mentally

It could build resilience, among other things….like

Can someone explain to me why empathy is supposed to be beneficial?You just suffer more for the sake of other people. Your tears won't be able to fill the bellies of starving african children nor cure anyones depression, so you're literally just making yourself more miserable for things outside of your control.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and Un-
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021

This is an interesting question.

The only upside that I have noticed about myself is that I have quit caring or worrying about how other people view me, and my life feels almost free of consequences. For example, having become suicidal, there's no need to worry about work or about disagreeing with other people, since such occurrences are only temporary events that may be followed by suicide eventually - so why worry..?

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, obafgkm, newave3 and 1 other person
wilted_biography

wilted_biography

Jun 11, 2022
Can someone explain to me why empathy is supposed to be beneficial?You just suffer more for the sake of other people. Your tears won't be able to fill the bellies of starving african children nor cure anyones depression, so you're literally just making yourself more miserable for things outside of your control.
With empathy, you gain understanding. It is deeper than just sympathy. With true empathy, we will not inflict additional harm onto something or someone we truly feel and understand. So yeah, the benefit to empathy is not spreading unnecessary, additional pain…I'd argue that's a pretty damn good benefit.

• Love
Reactions: Niko66, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Shu and 4 others
BitterlyAlive_

BitterlyAlive_

-
Dec 8, 2020
With empathy, you gain understanding. It is deeper than just sympathy. With true empathy, we will not inflict additional harm onto something or someone we truly feel and understand. So yeah, the benefit to empathy is not spreading unnecessary, additional pain…I'd argue that's a pretty damn good benefit.
Yes, this is a great comment. Empathy tends to help other people feel understood and valued, which can make a huge difference.

• Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Shu, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 3 others
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Sometimes inflicting harm on others is unavoidable. In a world where we are all competing for limited resources, being unable to harm others for your survival and wellbeing sounds like a weakness to me.

• Yay!
Reactions: Un-
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
This is an interesting question.

The only upside that I have noticed about myself is that I have quit caring or worrying about how other people view me, and my life feels almost free of consequences. For example, having become suicidal, there's no need to worry about work or about disagreeing with other people, since such occurrences are only temporary events that may be followed by suicide eventually - so why worry..?
Exactly, why should we care about anything......death awaits.

Reactions: Un-
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Exactly, why should we care about anything......death awaits.

Precisely, but the emphasis is on the not worrying part. After all, we are born and then we die within 90 years, mostly, so why worry about surviving for a few days or years more - or if life could have been better..? Life itself is just a temporary stop in an infinitely long duration of nothingness, or a brief experience of this particular life between many other lives, depending on what you believe in.

This doesn't mean that we should disregard other people and treat them badly - but, rather, not to get hung up on how someone may perceive us or how we could have done something differently.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: newave3
newave3

newave3

I want out
Nov 21, 2020
Precisely, but the emphasis is on the not worrying part. After all, we are born and then we die within 90 years, mostly, so why worry about surviving for a few days or years more - or if life could have been better..? Life itself is just a temporary stop in an infinitely long duration of nothingness, or a brief experience of this particular life between many other lives, depending on what you believe in.

This doesn't mean that we should disregard other people and treat them badly - but, rather, not to get hung up on how someone may perceive us or how we could have done something differently.
Well said. The worrying part is what I have been doing my whole life until I started having suicidal thoughts. Since the thoughts started a couple of years ago, I just shrug my shoulders at everything and everyone and say "Yeah, whatever."
IRL, I don't let people anger me much anymore. I always try to remember, "He or she who angers you, controls you."

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Well said. The worrying part is what I have been doing my whole life until I started having suicidal thoughts. Since the thoughts started a couple of years ago, I just shrug my shoulders at everything and everyone and say "Yeah, whatever."
IRL, I don't let people anger me much anymore. I always try to remember, "He or she who angers you, controls you."

You seem to have a healthy mindset :wink:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: newave3
Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
Sometimes inflicting harm on others is unavoidable. In a world where we are all competing for limited resources, being unable to harm others for your survival and wellbeing sounds like a weakness to me.
What country are you from?

VirtualSnow

VirtualSnow

who knows
May 21, 2022
How is this relevant to the discussion?

I'm not the one that asked, but as far as I know, some countries' cultures tend to be more individualistic, so it might give some background for that opinion, it's understandable to not want to give that information though.

Reactions: Rapière