AntHydra

AntHydra

I wish you serenity.
Sep 26, 2021
Leave your random tidbits of random knowledge and sudden epiphanies here!
A thread for all those who have no one to pour their immense knowledge about random subjects out or just want to pour them out in more places.
You could post one fun fact a day and make it a bit of a daily thing that might help you and maybe someone else feel better.
No subject is too trivial, niche or broad, no knowledge too superficial, too well-known or too specific. Politics, videogames, the history of chocolate production. It's all fair game.

I'll start:
There is a court case that is often derided as utterly frivolous: The infamous McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit, wherein a woman sued McDonalds because their coffee was too hot. Many people leave it at that. "America's court system is so fucked up that you can sue McDonalds because you drank your coffee too hot and win."
This is not what happened at all.
The elderly woman spilled the coffee onto her legs, where it caused her burns so bad that her labial skin fused with the skin of her thigh. The coffee was over 190 degrees Fahrenheit or almost 90 degrees Celsius, absurdly hot. The only reason she sued McDonald's is because she could not otherwise afford medical bills.

Here's an article that talks summarises the situation nicely:

And that's the random bit of knowledge of the day with AntHydra.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: patheticpartner, OpheliasFlowers, ReflectionOfTrauma and 11 others
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
Capsicum has nearly 3 times the amound of vitamin C as oranges. I love eating capsicum so that is probably why i remember it.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: bed, patheticpartner, LionsTigersAndBears and 10 others
AntHydra

AntHydra

I wish you serenity.
Sep 26, 2021
Capsicum has nearly 3 times the amound of vitamin C as oranges. I love eating capsicum so that is probably why i remember it.
I would never have thought! That's very cool to know, thank you for sharing.

• Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner, OpheliasFlowers, daddy Phil :) and 1 other person
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
Yeah a fun factoid. When you're worried about getting a cold munch a couple of peppers.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner, jello and AntHydra
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
It is possible to ctb with regular salt. You don't need SN, though SN is probably easier since you don't need to ingest so much of it.

God is dog backwards.

It's not that the QA is bad or not doing its job, it's just that if EA says "I want this game to be ready in two weeks." they have to prioritize which bugs and issues to solve.

It's not it's, it's its. Its fur is white.

It's than, not then.

There was a girl who grew beard (not European beard but the middle eastern really big black and dense beard), she got tired of constantly shaving it and joined a religion which forbids shaving.

Ievan polkka is not Levan polka like I have thought all this time, it's Ievan Polkka. Ieva is when some groups of Finn can't pronounce Eeva, so they change EE to IE. It sounds horrible.

My n dad is from a group who can't pronounce D so they had to change my name, he pronounces D as T.

VII and IIV (not the numbers) sounds physically hurt my ears (thanks asperger), so when a lot of people named their kids and dogs "Viivi" it was horrible. Eevee doesn't hurt my ears because English letters are softer.

Japanese month system is perfect. It's number+month. Sangatsu is san=three and gatsu=month, so as you can probably guess, it's March. Japanese doesn't have future, neither does some other languages. Sometimes it's hard for me to know whether to say "It is tomorrow" or "It will be tomorrow". German however uses the perfect in everything. "My mom has her narcissism cured three years ago." German number system is stupid. Drei-und-zwanzig is 3 and 20 which means 23.

There's this one cave-dwelling bug species, that I saw in a documentary, in which the female has a long thick very erected you-now-what which she inserts into the male's you-know-what and sucks all that sweet you-know-what into her you-know-what to make beibiis. I certainly don't see them as an evolved form of humans. Imagine being an incel man being all "Sniff, no woman would ever want me! I'll die kidless!" and then a hot woman comes and inserts her you-know-what into his thing and it's the best thing ever. There'd literally be no incels ever again. And women wouldn't have to worry about being raped. And men wouldn't have to worry about size. It's a win-win-win for everyone.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, OpheliasFlowers and 7 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Around 60 million people die every year. Hopefully I will be one of them sometime soon.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 9 others
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
A Roman diplomat went to eat dinner with Atilla the Hun. Despite there being wine, bread, vegetables and fruits available, the diplomat noted that Atilla filled his plate up with nothing but meat that evening.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, edu0z and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
When Japan first opened its doors to other nations, they received pet rabbits which quickly took off. Unfortunately these rabbits bred so quickly and caused so much environmental devastation that Japan had to impose a harsh tax for every rabbit owned. This seemingly solved the problem and the rabbit population went down so the government decided to later repeal the tax which immediately led to the problem coming back again.

• Yay!
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, ReflectionOfTrauma and 5 others
M

Molded foundation

Student
Sep 17, 2021
Ears have a similar unique print to the likeness of fingerprints, red pandas are not pandas, neurosurgeons use an electrical rod to stimulate and cause the patient to feel "happy" when they start to sob.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, ReflectionOfTrauma and 1 other person
SleepDealer

SleepDealer

Your Imaginary Friend
Aug 13, 2021
There's this one cave-dwelling bug species, that I saw in a documentary, in which the female has a long thick very erected you-now-what which she inserts into the male's you-know-what and sucks all that sweet you-know-what into her you-know-what to make beibiis.
Like hyenas?

neurosurgeons use an electrical rod to stimulate and cause the patient to feel "happy" when they start to sob.
I am officially in the market for a personal neurosurgeon.

I know many things, except when I need to remember what things I know...

- One of the world's longest running social MMOs is a furry-themed MUD run by a dude who literally changed his named to Dr. Cat.

- Mr. Yan -- the former CEO of the lolita fashion brand Bodyline -- created and sold body pillows of himself. One side of the pillow genuinely includes a picture of him in his underwear.

- There is a community on YouTube surrounding videos with blank titles, often posted by users with blank usernames. They use unicode spaces such as "ㅤ". A lot of these are vocaloid videos, but going down this rabbit hole leads to some interesting ARGs too.

- There is another community on YouTube that is dedicated to making "subliminal" videos that claim to change your hair color, make you rich and pretty, or even send you to that one anime world you really like. Within this community is an underground subcommunity making videos that claim to kill whoever you want or give you a mental illness for... some reason.

- Tarrare was a thing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner and AntHydra
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Named after Julius Caesar:

July (his birth month)
Julian Calendar
The word Czar/Tsar

Not named for Julius Caesar:

Cesarean Section
Caesar salad

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, LionsTigersAndBears and 3 others
Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
Saturn's atmosphere is mostly hydrogen but also contains methane.

Deep inside it's clouds, lightning storms turn methane into soot which hardens into chunks of graphite and then the high pressure of the planet turns into diamonds.
Scientists believes that it's literally raining diamonds in Saturn.

So if you ever need money, Saturn might be a good place to go.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 5 others
iamthewalrus

iamthewalrus

certified idiot
Aug 27, 2021
members of the beatles used to have jerking off session together

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, OpheliasFlowers and 5 others
AntHydra

AntHydra

I wish you serenity.
Sep 26, 2021
- There is a community on YouTube surrounding videos with blank titles, often posted by users with blank usernames. They use unicode spaces such as "ㅤ". A lot of these are vocaloid videos, but going down this rabbit hole leads to some interesting ARGs too.
Oh, I know about this! The songs are about certain train-related Japanese creepypasta! "Kisaragi Station" and "The Monkey Dream" are the ones that come to mind at two of the songs. The first story is about a girl who enters a train at a cryptic station called "Kisaragi Station" (~Demon Station), texts her friend from that train which never arrives until her phone dies and is never seen again.

The Monkey Dream creepypasta is about a person who has a dream about a strange train painted with monkeys, in which he sits with a couple more passengers. The other passengers are being called upon and as they are, they each meet a different grisly end. As the narrator is being called upon, his end is supposed to be "being ground up" (the corresponding song even has a meat grinder on its art to signify this). He wakes up just before this can happen twice, but when he wakes up on the morning of the second night, he hears the train callinh for him in his waking state - he won't survive the next night.

Also, the songs each seem to have a vocaloid version and a version sung by a human singer whose name has been found out but... I forgot again. It's interesting stuff!

Jeff Bezos is not an astronaut!
The definition was specifically modified to not include space tourists like him.

There is a bug that can shoot fluids out of its abdomen which reach a temperature of 100 degrees celsius: The Bombardier Beetle.
They looks so unseeming! But they really do spray a scalding chemical named benzoquinone out when threatened.

Attachments

• Brachinus_spPCCA20060328-2821B.jpg
    Brachinus_spPCCA20060328-2821B.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, ReflectionOfTrauma and 1 other person
clown_17

clown_17

Almost gone, it almost worked
Oct 24, 2020
Chess players used to compete against chess computers like it was a sport. The computer team would spend years making the best computer solely to beat chess grand masters in the early days of AI. Deep Blue is one of those computers

• Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, DocNo and 3 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Semen is a poor source of protein, but that just means that I should consume much more of it.

• Yay!
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, ReflectionOfTrauma and 6 others
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
  • Yay!
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, LionsTigersAndBears and 1 other person
AntHydra

AntHydra

I wish you serenity.
Sep 26, 2021
Fun Fact of the day with AntHydra:

There was a bizarre Middle European practice that persisted until around the beginning of the 19th century, often referred to as "brûler les chats" wherein people would put multiple cats into a sack, fix the cat sack above a source of fire and dance to the agonised screams of the dying animals. This has to do with cats' association with witchcraft but is otherwise stupifying.

Here's the wikipedia article if you can't believe it:

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, greebo6 and 6 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Finns have a place for drying plates and utensils etc. I always forget that other countries don't usually have it. I guess that they just dry everything on towel or something.

The hunchback of notredame book doesn't feature much huncback, instead its french name is Notredame of Paris or something. I read that the book features as much quasimodo as Frozen features Olaf. So he's important and he's there, but not much.

I read the Frollo chapter of the book. Good god those guys in 1700-1900 had a way of wasting as much ink and paper as possible. He spent like 40 lines describing in various ways how Frollo was a good son and student and loved studying and wasn't mischievous or playful like other children.

"Frollo good often be found reading on the steps of the school while the other kids played football or gossiped about the opposite sex. He always aced all his tests, and the teachers and parents often spoke how he would one day become something great; maybe a great chemist, or a mathematician, or an archbishop."

Now imagine that bit of information written in ten different ways. To the people who think my posts are long, imagine if my posts were ten times longer. That's how Hugo wrote.

The book of Notredame was written because he wanted to praise Paris and the building. Make people interested in taking care of the building and the city. Probably something about restoring Notredame to its former glory. Etc. That's why there's literally a whole long chapter describing Paris in a bird's view. The chapter is even called "paris in a bird's view". It would be like if Frollo was singing Hellfire and then there was suddenly a 20 minute long section showing all the streets in Paris.

Frollo adopted Quasimodo because he loved his younger brother and wanted to do good heavenly deeds. He also feared what would happen to this brother if he (Frollo) died. I didn't really understand how adopting a baby Quasimodo (who was in much worse shape in the book) would help his brother if Frollo died, or maybe Frollo thought he would viewed badly by god if he didn't take Quasimodo. He didn't kill his mother (though in that movie it was an accident and not really "killing"), he wasn't over-talked by a priest (though he was a priest himself), he just adopted him.

I know Frollo is a judge in the movie, but he's so religious and because he's a priest in the book, I always think he's a judge and a priest. Esmeralda isn't a gypsy. Quasimodo's parents abandoned him as a baby and stole Esmeralda. Esmeralda is 16 and loves Phoebus, but Phoebus just "pumps and dumps". Quasimodo is half blind, and deaf from ringing the bells.

Someone said that the book could be cut to 250 pages without losing much. The original has 940, abridged has about 350. So there's about 700 pages of blah-blah.

Oldest cats lived till 38 years old, one cat gave birth to two kittens at 30 years old. Oldest doggy lived till 29 years and 3 months.

Old Finns thought that you could get fresh air from through the floor. I read why this house doesn't have any air conditioner holes, and found out that people were idiots who literally thought that air can magically pass through the floor. The floor is against stone, the stone is against ground, how would the air get thought them all? And how would the air still fresh after that?

Atlas moths don't have mouths. They have the biggest wings of all those butterflies/moths.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner and AntHydra
back_to_oblivion

back_to_oblivion

Expired
Aug 30, 2021
Pope Stephen VI was the craziest pope who ever lived. He had the corpse of his predecessor dug up and put on trial. The rotting corpse was dressed up in papal robes and placed on a throne for the trial. Pope Stephen VI then screamed accusations and insults at it, mocked the corpse for being silent, declared it guilty and declared his predecessor's rule null and void. He then stripped the corpse of its papal robes, mutilated the corpse and had the corpse dumped in a grave. Afterwards he changed his mind and had the corpse dug up again, then he had the corpse weighted down with stones and thrown into the Tiber river. His behavior led to widespread riots and he was ousted and strangled to death.

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: odradek, patheticpartner, AntHydra and 2 others
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Cavendish bananas (so for most, "normal" bananas) are all clones of each other.

The scrotum of a male kangaroo is located above the (two-pronged) penis. Female kangaroos have 3 vaginas – two for the sperm and one for giving birth.

If you fold a piece of paper 42 times, it would reach the moon.

It's illegal to swear in front of a dead person in Utah.

Contrary to popular belief, pigs don't sweat.

Croissants originated in Austria, not France.

• Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 4 others
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
The band "Burning Airlines" was on a major American tour when 9.11. happened. Many of their gigs were cancelled because clubs refused to display the band's name.

• Wow
  • Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 3 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
If someone fucks up your brain at 4, you might end up not caring that your penis sometimes bleeds from daily overuse at 40.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, Shadowplay and 2 others
DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
Chess players used to compete against chess computers like it was a sport. The computer team would spend years making the best computer solely to beat chess grand masters in the early days of AI. Deep Blue is one of those computers

it always fascinated me what some of the big chess players were able to do.

for example alexander alekhine who was one of the best blindfold simultaneous chess players who played thirty-two people blindfold simultaneously.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, UseItOrLoseIt, OpheliasFlowers and 1 other person
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Many years ago a man wanted to build a summer house on an island, but he didn't get a permission for it. So he asked for a permission to build a bird watch tower, got the permission, and built a summer house which he claims is used for bird watching and thus counts as a bird watch tower.

• Love
Reactions: odradek, Shadowplay and patheticpartner
ReflectionOfTrauma

ReflectionOfTrauma

Were we born only to die?
Feb 23, 2021
Short note:
The water quality in Warsaw, the capital city of Poland, is monitored by… well, yes, clams. A Polish Tumblr user who goes by nickname Ftgurdy explained that the city of Warsaw gets its water from a river and "the main water pump has 8 clams that have triggers attached to their shells. If the water gets too toxic, they close, and the triggers shut off the city's water supply automatically."

Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 3 others
X

xecay

Oct 3, 2021
Octopuses sometimes punch fish out of spite.

• Yay!
  • Wow
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, patheticpartner and 5 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Octopussy has nothing to do with cats getting sex in October.

Half of the world's pigs are Chinese.

The video game company Blizzard had a competition in which you had to take a photo of yourself playing Diablo 3 on Nintendo Switch. The first price? Getting Diablo 3 on Nintendo Switch.

Yeah, it's as stupid as it sounds.

• Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek, Shadowplay and 2 others
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
Only people who have tasted piss know if something really tastes like piss.

Dog Fuck You GIF

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, odradek and patheticpartner