KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
You can go back to the absolute baby days of the old net to prove that pro- choice, open dialogue sites like SS have always existed.

Here you can read some posts from net.suicide, which is one of the oldest newsgroup hierarchies that spawned during the absolute stone ages of old Internet (a period where the Internet as we know it was not accessible to the common layman/consumer, but you could access basic forum like services using local dial up servers) : http://ash.notearthday.org/netsuicide/811208-1.html

As you can see, this post is 40 years old. This post was being typed on someone's ancient unix machinery decades before I or most of us here ever spawned into existence. Certainly, there was a need them for this sort of space, and this desire for open dialogue has persisted as our existences become more and more entertwined with technology (subtle Lainpill)

After net was phased out, the alt hierarchy of usenet became a popular hub for all the freaks, weirdos, and outcasts whose topics of conversations didn't quite mesh with the bigger, run of the mill discussion groups that were reserved for things like sports and news. To no one's surprise, many groups revolving around taboo topics like suicide would quickly crop up.

From my research, I've figured out that alt.suicide.holiday (ASH) was the main hang out for suicidal people in the oldnet era. Alongside ASH, there was a discussion group solely focused on methods. (It is crazy to read some of the stuff people in the 90s would get up to in order to find methods, like pretending to be jewelers and constructing an elaborate larp where they would pretend to have a vetted interest in ring polishing)

This board was very active from the early 90s to the mid 2000s, when dial up and usenet and all the outdated technology became less and less desirable and was replaced by a modern paradigm of social media.
You can read posts from ASH here: http://ash.notearthday.org/nazgsoul.html#Miscellaneous writings including poetry, soliloquies, and final goodbyes left by users, but a lot of the links are broken and content is missing due to old servers being dead or sites like geocities getting nuked.

It's bizarre to me that the outside world thinks that the sentiment expressed by SS members is a new phenomenon. In the 90s, those who would be called "prolifers" were supposedly referred to as shiny happy people on ASH (which tbh, I am down to adopt this terminology instead cause it is much more fitting)

As long as we are silenced in the mainstream circles, places like this forum will continue to exist. I've done a lot of research into this topic because I am interested to see how people like me were percieved in the past few decades, and how they expressed themselves before the advent of social media which is rife with metric tons of censorship, however, a lot of information has been lost to time.

My main point is, spaces like ours are never going away, as the fundamental drive to express ourselves without judgement or censorship simply doesn't exist anywhere else.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: mint_parfait, pole, Forever Sleep and 47 others
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
Fascinating bit a history. Good post, good post.

• Love
Reactions: mono, odazai, houseofleaves and 12 others
uienringptr

uienringptr

tiny planet explorer
Dec 10, 2021
I've heard of ASH but I never knew it was THAT old.. damn. Honestly though, and this might be countering the entire point of the OP, I'm glad sites like this aren't too easy to find. I think maybe it was good to hide them behind anti-suicide numbers etc. I 100% believe they should exist and be active and uncensored but I think maybe hiding them behind a few subtle "maybe give this life another try" hints is a good thing. It leaves you with only the truly hopeless to actually find their place here.
That being said, I also don't like the idea of people not knowing how to die when they think it's their time and living out the rest of their lives in misery because of a failed attempt.. but maybe you win some and you lose some. I think some don't want to die and are simply mentally ill with the ability to recover and having sites like ASH and sacntioned suicide too widespread will lead to unnecessary losses of life.
Maybe I'm going in circles. Maybe I'm missing the point.
Thank you for the info on ASH though!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: swaraj, odazai, houseofleaves and 7 others
Simba

Simba

Missunderstood Potato
Dec 9, 2018
I also checked and found a post that im not sure if similar to the fixers n stopSS of today but share bit similarities not sure tho

http://ash.notearthday.org/gb-debbie.html
And i usetoo be in ASH too.. not the old one but the newer one that barely people talk there n last i was there like someone just mentioned ss n so on

• Yay!
Reactions: houseofleaves, little helpers, LastFlowers and 2 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I've heard of ASH but I never knew it was THAT old.. damn. Honestly though, and this might be countering the entire point of the OP, I'm glad sites like this aren't too easy to find. I think maybe it was good to hide them behind anti-suicide numbers etc. I 100% believe they should exist and be active and uncensored but I think maybe hiding them behind a few subtle "maybe give this life another try" hints is a good thing. It leaves you with only the truly hopeless to actually find their place here.
That being said, I also don't like the idea of people not knowing how to die when they think it's their time and living out the rest of their lives in misery because of a failed attempt.. but maybe you win some and you lose some. I think some don't want to die and are simply mentally ill with the ability to recover and having sites like ASH and sacntioned suicide too widespread will lead to unnecessary losses of life.
Maybe I'm going in circles. Maybe I'm missing the point.
Thank you for the info on ASH though!
I've seen some people come here who do end up recovering from whatever ails them, and either check in from time to time or drift off to do their own thing, which is amazing (and the outcome that I wish all of us could have, if life was more fair) You're right that there is quite a big difference between these groups of people and those who are chronically suicidal with long-term issues that can't be managed or cured.

Some people are helped by what we would consider platitudes, but usually they don't make it to spaces like SS, and tend to stick to places like reddit where conversation is limited to certain dialouge options. Which is ironic in a way, because I've received better advice from my fellow hopeless people here than anywhere on the mainstream web. Other people in disability support communities told me to toughen up, build resilience, appreciate the small things, etc, which completely trashed my mental state.

However, that sort of talk might be the antidote some people need. It's always gonna vary by person, don't knock it till you try it and all that. My partner swears by therapy because he had a brief stint with a NHS service several years ago, but refuses to hear my perspectives on why therapy has been unhelpful or harmful for me personally. It really does just feel like being a part of a whole other species, when all of those conventional preventative measures don't help you.

• Love
Reactions: odazai, Élégie, LastLoveLetter and 6 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I've seen some people come here who do end up recovering from whatever ails them, and either check in from time to time or drift off to do their own thing, which is amazing (and the outcome that I wish all of us could have, if life was more fair) You're right that there is quite a big difference between these groups of people and those who are chronically suicidal with long-term issues that can't be managed or cured.

Some people are helped by what we would consider platitudes, but usually they don't make it to spaces like SS, and tend to stick to places like reddit where conversation is limited to certain dialouge options. Which is ironic in a way, because I've received better advice from my fellow hopeless people here than anywhere on the mainstream web. Other people in disability support communities told me to toughen up, build resilience, appreciate the small things, etc, which completely trashed my mental state.

However, that sort of talk might be the antidote some people need. It's always gonna vary by person, don't knock it till you try it and all that. My partner swears by therapy because he had a brief stint with a NHS service several years ago, but refuses to hear my perspectives on why therapy has been unhelpful or harmful for me personally. It really does just feel like being a part of a whole other species, when all of those conventional preventative measures don't help you.
What you said about the disability support communities is something I see all the time, I can't stand it.
"Toughen up" equates to "Become delusional", "Build resilience" translates to "familiarize yourself with the eternal misery you will never escape".
..I mean, the small things?
Really.
I can't appreciate anything under the circumstances, idk why they think the "size" or lesser value of a cup of chamomile tea is going to suddenly stick a light back in my eyes. Jesus. Like let me just sit down in the dirt and smell the earth, gobble up the sunny days as if I'm some fucking breatharian..because that's the type of advice they give: Become a goddamn simpleton.

Another sentiment in many support groups is "help other people"...in the manner of "abandon yourself, go volunteer, help every single person other than yourself-all the time-and I promise you will feel better!"
Just wtf. So other people's problems matter enough for the suffering ones to stay alive fixing them, but nobody is going to acknowledge or resolve our problems?
How in the hell that makes sense to any of them, I will never know.
It's a direct contradiction.
(In what example are we ever the ones others advise assisting? ..not a one.)
I've volunteered at a hospital and an animal shelter multiple times (for entire summers), and all it did was put me into contact with more assholes (not the patients or the animals, but the staff!!), and it sure as fuck didn't make me feel any better about myself or my own situation, it is a distraction, nothing more (and unless you're qualified enough to be a professional in the field you are volunteering, there's not much to do that's genuinely helpful regardless, they had me doing paper work and standing around like an idiot half the time. There were cliques, even among these supposed humanitarian efforts.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Sabriel, TakeMeBack07 and 7 others
Apathy's Girl

Apathy's Girl

Student
Jul 20, 2020
I was in ASH until about 2003/2004. It got over run with trolls and pro lifers were a constant battle. SS is the closest thing to ASH that I've seen.

Reactions: Élégie, justsayin, LastLoveLetter and 3 others
Nawww-Im-So-Done

Nawww-Im-So-Done

Mar 21, 2022
I used to be very active on ASH too, using my WebTV of all things. Ahhh, the memory of my ASH days and my WebTV actually brings a vague memory of what it feels like to smile. If the shiny happy pro-life abusers were even close to rational, I'd like to see them explain how over 20 years after I first engaged with a pro-choice forum I am still in a physical bodily existence? (Can't exactly say I'm "alive" because that wouldn't be accurate.)

L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
I used to be very active on ASH too, using my WebTV of all things. Ahhh, the memory of my ASH days and my WebTV actually brings a vague memory of what it feels like to smile. If the shiny happy pro-life abusers were even close to rational, I'd like to see them explain how over 20 years after I first engaged with a pro-choice forum I am still in a physical bodily existence? (Can't exactly say I'm "alive" because that wouldn't be accurate.)
I posted at ASH from around 2003 to the Suzy Gonzales fiasco. My screen name was kalki.

• Love
Reactions: Nawww-Im-So-Done and Meretlein
Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
I posted at ASH from around 2003 to the Suzy Gonzales fiasco. My screen name was kalki.
You have been part of the prochoice community for such a long time. I hope there has been some light amongst the darkness and suffering in your life. I cannot imagine being suicidal for that many years.

L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
You have been part of the prochoice community for such a long time. I hope there has been some light amongst the darkness and suffering in your life. I cannot imagine being suicidal for that many years.
Thank you. I was not always suicidal in the sense that I wanted to die today during that time. Just very unhappy. As I age, I become more ready to ctb. Just a major trauma or two away.

AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
"couldn't keep membership up" lol

Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
For ASH survivors and any members (especially us oldies who are still taking it a day at a time), I established a new forum with a Shoutbox on proboards in the hope that it can offer a little discretion and a potential surface web space where we can hover under the radar.
It's very basic right now, so if you're interested in moderating and developing the boards, that would be very welcome.
Please come and say "hello", invite sympathetic friends and others who would appreciate the space. Thanks.

O

odazai

Aug 23, 2023

Yes I feel like most peoples who had never dealt with this type of problem would never be able to understand and see your point of view so they never gonna be helpful.
I was forced into therapy and after it I only felt shame and gotten more depressed
it was so invalidating and my therapist made me feel like that I chosed to not be okay and I'm selfish if commit suicide but that's a cruel way to look at it you know? It so invalidating and harrash
I'm a human not a machine that can turn Somthing on and off but they don't get it

wristcutangel

wristcutangel

What value is there to a life that wants to end?
Jul 5, 2023
i heard of ash when i was first looking up pro-choice sites before finding this, so it's neat to get to hear more on it.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
'Shiny Happy People' 😆.

Interesting post- thank you. Yeah- I wonder what people did before the internet. I guess they would have to risk confiding in a few real life people and hope they weren't sectioned. I imagine the internet was more unregulated initially.

I can't believe it took me so long to find this place. I'd been looking for methods since the 2000's. It just never occured to me they would allow such a forum on the clearnet. Lol.