sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Arcanist
Dec 14, 2023
It's interesting to me that people in first-world countries seem to kill themselves way more than those in third-world countries. You would think that people in exploited, less-developed countries would be more miserable, but apparently they are happier?
The WHO concluded in the 70's that people with schizophrenia tend to have a better prognosis in countries that has little to no access to mental health services, than in countries with. I don't know whether that is because they live in a different way or because they don't have to spend their lives being abused and drugged, but I've seen a hypothesis that aims to explain it with the fact that "mentally ill" people in third world countries are much more likely to be allowed to be a part of society and their family constellations than we are in first world countries. That could possibly be an explanation for the lower suicide rates too.

• Informative
Reactions: mlha, Cinnamorolls and yellowjester
Placo

Placo

Life and Death
Feb 14, 2024
It would be interesting to see the complete ranking, my country must be one of the most prolife in the world.

Reactions: enough of this
Catch-22

Catch-22

But in the end it doesn't even matter...😢
Aug 19, 2019
Suicide rates in the United States have not been this high since 1941.. I'm not surprised. Some people have to CTB because they are losing their jobs and they can't afford housing. Me being homeless in the near future is one of the reasons why I'm going to have to CTB. Being disabled and homeless... is something I can't do

• Aww..
Reactions: Alcoholic Teletubby
yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
The WHO concluded in the 70's that people with schizophrenia tend to have a better prognosis in countries that has little to no access to mental health services, than in countries with. I don't know whether that is because they live in a different way or because they don't have to spend their lives being abused and drugged, but I've seen a hypothesis that aims to explain it with the fact that "mentally ill" people in third world countries are much more likely to be allowed to be a part of society and their family constellations than we are in first world countries. That could possibly be an explanation for the lower suicide rates too.
I doubt the study was conducted properly, given that it's from the 70s. Still, it's crazy that they haven't done a single follow-up study in the past 50 years. They're clearly worried the resulsts might not work in their favor -- and undermine trust in psychiatry (although socio-cultutal factors are the more probable explaination IMO).

Reactions: sancta-simplicitas
avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
The IPSS, designed in 1975 and first patients assessed in 1978, was not the last study done on Schizophrenia. Below are some quoted from various studies which I think are interesting. Of course I didn't read the studies in full so you may want to read them for yourself if you think my quoted are cherrypicked.

If I'm not mistaken, the last quote is from the study @yellowjester refers to.

I doubt the study was conducted properly, given that it's from the 70s. Still, it's crazy that they haven't done a single follow-up study in the past 50 years. They're clearly worried the resulsts might not work in their favor -- and undermine trust in psychiatry (although socio-cultutal factors are the more probable explaination IMO).
We believe that the evidence arising from various studies across the globe largely supports the 'favorable outcome hypothesis in developing countries', i.e. developing countries have a larger proportion of patients with a good outcome and lesser percentage with a worst outcome as compared to developed countries, albeit amidst the controversies discussed by us. [2009 study]

The WHO concluded in the 70's that people with schizophrenia tend to have a better prognosis in countries that has little to no access to mental health services, than in countries with.
Methodological problems, especially lack of standardization of diagnosticcriteria, seriously limit the comparability of results reported by differentresearchers and observed in different societies. [1995 study, p. 76]

The substantially better outcome for schizophrenic patients in developingcountries (WHO, 1979; Jablensky et al., 1992) has not yet been satisfactorilyexplained. Some have argued that the course of the illness is affected by thepatterns of utilization of labour in different parts of the world and the greaterease with which a person recovering from a psychotic disorder can return towork in a subsistence economy (Warner, 1985). Although, as some argue,epidemiological knowledge may not support sociocultural models of the etiolo~of schizophrenia (Hafner, 1987), the social environment may be of substantiallygreater importance in shaping the ultimate course and outcome of thecondition. The relationship of the family environment to the course ofschizophrenia, for example, has proven to be a productive area of research(Kavanagh, 1992). Further research on the effect of sociocultural variables,especially work, on the course of schizophrenia is clearly needed. [1995 study, p. 80]

On five out of six course and outcomedimensions patients in the developing countrieshad a markedly better prognosis than patients inthe developed countries. The tendency for amore favourable course and outcome was notlimited to acute schizophrenic episodes; it wasalso clearly present in the subset of cases whichhad a gradual or insidious onset of schizophrenia. The only variable which did notdistinguish clearly between patients in developing countries and patients in developedcountries was the proportion of the follow-upperiod during which patients were in psychoticepisodes. On the other hand, the variable onwhich patients in the two kinds of setting differedmost was the proportion of the follow-up periodduring which patients were in incomplete remissions : the mean percentage of time in such statewas considerably higher for patients in thedeveloped countries. [1992 IPSS study, p. 93]

Reactions: sancta-simplicitas
yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
Of course I didn't read the studies in full so you may want to read them for yourself if you think my quoted are cherrypicked.
Uh, I'm so bad at deciphering academic texts 🧐 I'll just take your word for it.

avoid

avoid

⦿ ⦿
Jul 31, 2023
Uh, I'm so bad at deciphering academic texts 🧐 I'll just take your word for it.
That's why I wrote "Of course I didn't read the studies in full so you may want to read them for yourself if you think my quoted are cherrypicked." :ahhha: My reading skills or rather lack thereof disqualify me from fully understanding academic texts too.

Alcoholic Teletubby

Alcoholic Teletubby

Rip in piss
Jan 10, 2022
I always wondered this too, whenever there's attractive and well-off people who end their lives, I never understand it. I think it's usually a wave of stress that appears suddenly that overwhelms them. Some of it is cultural too. I've heard many cases of Japanese students committing suicide because of bad grades. When I first learned of this i was shocked because this doesn't happen where i live.
"Just because you're conventionally attractive, doesn't mean you can't be suicidal," I was informed in the ward. It is accurate. It is important to remember that being beautiful to others has its drawbacks and that you are still susceptible to the same problems that other suicidal people face, even if you enjoy some of the perks that come with it.

Consider celebraties. Yes, their lifestyles are what one would consider to be satisfying. But think about how much labor it takes to keep up that impression. Think about how much dehumanization they experience (e.g., having their photos altered to create sexual content).

(Sup katara! :3)

sancta-simplicitas

sancta-simplicitas

Arcanist
Dec 14, 2023
The IPSS, designed in 1975 and first patients assessed in 1978, was not the last study done on Schizophrenia. Below are some quoted from various studies which I think are interesting. Of course I didn't read the studies in full so you may want to read them for yourself if you think my quoted are cherrypicked.

If I'm not mistaken, the last quote is from the study @yellowjester refers to.

We believe that the evidence arising from various studies across the globe largely supports the 'favorable outcome hypothesis in developing countries', i.e. developing countries have a larger proportion of patients with a good outcome and lesser percentage with a worst outcome as compared to developed countries, albeit amidst the controversies discussed by us. [2009 study]

Methodological problems, especially lack of standardization of diagnosticcriteria, seriously limit the comparability of results reported by differentresearchers and observed in different societies. [1995 study, p. 76]

The substantially better outcome for schizophrenic patients in developingcountries (WHO, 1979; Jablensky et al., 1992) has not yet been satisfactorilyexplained. Some have argued that the course of the illness is affected by thepatterns of utilization of labour in different parts of the world and the greaterease with which a person recovering from a psychotic disorder can return towork in a subsistence economy (Warner, 1985). Although, as some argue,epidemiological knowledge may not support sociocultural models of the etiolo~of schizophrenia (Hafner, 1987), the social environment may be of substantiallygreater importance in shaping the ultimate course and outcome of thecondition. The relationship of the family environment to the course ofschizophrenia, for example, has proven to be a productive area of research(Kavanagh, 1992). Further research on the effect of sociocultural variables,especially work, on the course of schizophrenia is clearly needed. [1995 study, p. 80]

On five out of six course and outcomedimensions patients in the developing countrieshad a markedly better prognosis than patients inthe developed countries. The tendency for amore favourable course and outcome was notlimited to acute schizophrenic episodes; it wasalso clearly present in the subset of cases whichhad a gradual or insidious onset of schizophrenia. The only variable which did notdistinguish clearly between patients in developing countries and patients in developedcountries was the proportion of the follow-upperiod during which patients were in psychoticepisodes. On the other hand, the variable onwhich patients in the two kinds of setting differedmost was the proportion of the follow-up periodduring which patients were in incomplete remissions : the mean percentage of time in such statewas considerably higher for patients in thedeveloped countries. [1992 IPSS study, p. 93]
This caught me at a bad brain day because I can barely handle text at all, but I'll try to remember it for another day! I could likely read it. 🤗

Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
It's not a wealth of a country that influences suicide. The bigger factor is the mindset around suicide. For example in south Korea and the USA people value freedom of expression and are less religious. This makes them consider suicide more. Plus suicide is seen as an escape. People hear about suicide in the news and begin to consider that themselves. In most of the undeveloped world suicide is a taboo people don't even talk about. This further isolates whoever considers suicide and makes people not even consider suicide, see suicide as a sin and a shame on the family. Also note that women in the undeveloped world often have traditional mother roles. The consequences of suicide for the children makes it a less attractive choice for women. Unless they live in areas where life as a woman is truly brutal. As is sometimes the case there will be a trend of suicide among women to avoid that kind life.

Last edited:
Reactions: enduringwinter
untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
The reason why I think that impoverished countries have lower rates is probably due to there being a lack of record keeping for those studies to go off of. They may undeniably have stronger social structures than other places, which means they take care of one another.

Josh007

Josh007

The number zero is feeling lonely...
Nov 30, 2020
The reason why I think that impoverished countries have lower rates is probably due to there being a lack of record keeping for those studies to go off of. They may undeniably have stronger social structures than other places, which means they take care of one another.
true I bet the numbers are highest in countries like China and North Korea. North Korea probably has the highest suicide rate in the world.