catotoctb

catotoctb

Aug 27, 2023
I've heard it a lot, even my friends say that sometimes. I used to watch documentary of people who loss someone by suicide. They always say "A person who commits suicide, is an egoistic person."
I don't think so, i think the person who thinks that way is the egoist here. A person had suffered a lot in life and entails that person to wanting not to live anymore does not make him/her an egoist person, is a tired person. I'm tired of hearing it all the time on suicide discussions by happy people.

Reactions: Immensevoid, Peerless_Cucumber, Serial Experi Pain and 4 others
NotToTouchTheEarth

NotToTouchTheEarth

Sep 14, 2023
Is suicide an egoistic thing to do ? Maybe. In some cases, absolutely.
Is egoism the awful awful thing and modern sin we have been made to believe it is ? Absolutely not.
Most of the things we do, either for preservation or destruction, are incubated in egoism.
Suicide will feel unfair and sad for those who remain behind, that is true. But at this moment, ego isn't into play anymore. The ego isn't there to enjoy the effect of its supposed egoism.
Therefore I don't feel like "suicide as egoism" is a very convincing argument.

• Love
Reactions: corazon, Peerless_Cucumber, Serial Experi Pain and 6 others
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I detest that platitude about how "suicide doesn't end pain, it spreads it around." So basically folks who say this are fine with the overall level of misery in the world, so long as they don't personally have to be the ones experiencing it.

On the other hand, relatives and close friends are fine to offer up as sacrifices. "Bob" & "Sue" can just sit over there and act like uncomplaining sponges, soaking in everyone else's pain and shutting the fuck up about it. The greatest good for the greatest number or whatever.

Reactions: catotoctb, Peerless_Cucumber, floralheaddress and 3 others
aitouka

aitouka

calm
Apr 5, 2023
How is suicide 'egoist' when it only concerns myself? I can be gay and that can put others in 'misery', but does that make me egoist? Do I have to please everyone to not be 'egoist'? It's not like I'm murdering anyone else, making decisions for them. I am only making decisions for myself, for a life that I never wished for. In this case, isn't giving birth more 'egoist'? After all, it's forcing a decision on someone else, spreading misery.

• Love
Reactions: catotoctb, thebookofdisquiet., Peerless_Cucumber and 1 other person
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I've heard it a lot, even my friends say that sometimes. I used to watch documentary of people who loss someone by suicide. They always say "A person who commits suicide, is an egoistic person."
I don't think so, i think the person who thinks that way is the egoist here. A person had suffered a lot in life and entails that person to wanting not to live anymore does not make him/her an egoist person, is a tired person. I'm tired of hearing it all the time on suicide discussions by happy people.
This is just totally not true, people are in so much pain and suffering that they end their lives. Whatever they endured in life must be so hard that they chose death over life. They are definitely not egoistic for doing so. What is worse is the expectation that they have to keep living for others rather than themselves. This is other people being egoistic and expecting the suffering person to keep living because it would make others sad if they leave

• Love
Reactions: catotoctb and Serial Experi Pain
M

manuel1056x

Sep 9, 2023
Well, if you leave people behind who really need you and rely on you, then it's kind of selfish. However, if these people really rely on you and need you then they should also know how you are doing. If you kill yourself and they have no idea about it, then something must have gone wrong. I would talk to such people about it beforehand (before suicide) and ask for advice. If they need something form you or you then they will help, if not then they are the selfish ones. It's just my opinion.

Reactions: catotoctb
dra1ncoreslwt

dra1ncoreslwt

tove 𓆩♡𓆪
Mar 22, 2023
Is suicide an egoistic thing to do ? Maybe. In some cases, absolutely.
Is egoism the awful awful thing and modern sin we have been made to believe it is ? Absolutely not.
Most of the things we do, either for preservation or destruction, are incubated in egoism.
Suicide will feel unfair and sad for those who remain behind, that is true. But at this moment, ego isn't into play anymore. The ego isn't there to enjoy the effect of its supposed egoism.
Therefore I don't feel like "suicide as egoism" is a very convincing argument.
you are very true and objective here, I agree with you, we as a modern society perceive egoism as something somebody does that takes from us or hurts us, so saying that suicide is egoistic is because they are hurt and in some cases baffled, not righteously, but humans will be humans I guess. If suicide isnt the bad type egoistic to you, then it shouldn't matter, in the end it is your choice.

Kerrtu

Kerrtu

Komeetta ♊︎
May 8, 2023
Either way, we have this special dumpster in the neighborhood:

IMG 8361

Optional, of course.

• Yay!
Reactions: manuel1056x, catotoctb, Peerless_Cucumber and 5 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I actually find that an interesting idea. Is suicide egotistic? I'd say it does have a selfish element. It does entail putting our needs above others- knowing the upset it leaves behind. Again though- what sounds more egotistic? 'I have to leave you. I don't want to hurt you but I can't cope with the pain I'm in every day.' Or: 'I can't bare to lose you. Think of what this will do to me. Besides- I've been unhappy before and gotten over it- so can you.' Basically- they are both the same thing- both people are putting their own needs above the other person- knowing full well the other person is in pain.

Personally- I find prolifers tend to have more egotistic qualities. A lot of suicidal people are full of self hatred. They hate who they have become. We are trying to obliterate our egos from the face of the earth! How is that an act of self importance/ worth?

Plus- prolifers seem more keen to push their ideas onto others: Their way of thinking is right- we only think like this because we are mentally ill (apparently.) With that diagnosis- they allow themselves to do all sorts of things that imposes their ego over ours- involuntary commitment. Forced administration of medication. Depriving someone else of their freedom and ability to choose. They don't want us to have the ability to choose what we do with our lives- how is that not egotistical?

What are we really talking about though? It's egotistic because the person is opting out of being in a collective. Were they made to feel part of that collective? An awful lot of suicidal people are isolated. Some people here do have people that care about them but a lot don't. What were the people in their life like? Were they so altruistic that they showered that person with love and support? Possible but unlikely. A huge amount of people here have experienced neglect and abuse. Many at the hands of narcissists- the most egotistical people on the planet! But- that's ok is it? We should still WANT to be a punching bag for all the ACTUAL egotists out there?!! Sorry but people who have been treated badly by others and society at large don't feel a warm fuzzy feeling to make them want to stay here!

Plus, in today's world- who isn't an egotist? We are raised to be that way. What do YOU want to do with your life? What do YOU think about this? Will YOU rate every experience you have? Every video YOU watch? YOUR opinion matters. When have you ever heard: 'What was the last thing you did for someone else? For your community?' Some people will flaunt how generous and giving they are- certainly. But I'd say that was about ego- 'Look at what a good person I am everyone.' The modern era seems to be all about the individual rather than the collective. I simply don't think we are encouraged to consider other people as much as we are ourselves. Is it any wonder people who are suffering will put their needs above others then?

Plus- consider how many people hang on for the sake of others. Many people here have had ideation for years, some decades. Many are living ENTIRELY for the sake of others. Just so as not to upset them. They are sacrificing their own peace every damn day for the people around them. I'd be willing to bet the average suicidal person puts a lot more thought into whether they should kill themselves and the impact it will have on others than new parents do in bringing a life into all this.

• Love
Reactions: movinout17, catotoctb, doneWithThisSh1t and 6 others
C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
Breeding is egoistic, suicide is self care.

• Love
Reactions: catotoctb and AntHills
MeltingBrain

MeltingBrain

Mage
May 29, 2023
In societies where honor, shame, status matter a lot, ego can be a cause of suicide .
Otherwise for most people , they have a quality standard, below which life becomes unacceptable.

• Love
Reactions: catotoctb, AntHills and Forever Sleep
gorgongrl

gorgongrl

last words of a shooting star
Aug 31, 2023
honestly I've lived too long for the sake of other people, always ignoring my pain and unhappiness just so that I don't cause any of my family or friends to get hurt. And it's not worth it. If I had left years ago they would have been able to move forward without me by now and I wouldn't be here relying on them for money or care. I know that I'm not meant to be here, and it's not selfish to act on that even if there will be negative impact on other people. So many people have forced me to stay out of guilt and now I see that they are selfish for making me endure this world longer than I ever wanted to. Each person should have control over their life and what they do with it, even if that means ending it.

• Love
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Assuming that most people's problems are never sufficiently bad enough to warrant ending their life "suicide is never the answer", is just about as egotistical, arrogant and self centred as it's possible to be. And this is the standard position for many anti-choice people in society. "There is always something worth living for..." etc etc

The one thing that really stands out in a community like this, because so many of us are suffering, there is great empathy. People are at least trying to put themselves in other people's shoes and attempt to understand how they are doing... (as difficult as that obviously is) And if we can help someone, even if it's just listening to them without judging, then most do.

Most anti-choice people don't even bother trying or taking the time to even listen. They just assume that they know better, and that anyone who views this life differently to them is wrong by default. This is incredibly egotistical and arrogant. Just as it would be, if you took this stance on most other issues in society... refusing to listen or acknowledge other viewpoints or ideas etc etc...

So no, suicidal people are not egoists generally speaking. They are just attempting to regain some measure of control over their destiny and trying to put out the flames of a fire, an inferno, that is raging inside them - while in many cases being gas-lighted and ignored by society.

• Love
Reactions: Immensevoid and catotoctb