• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

Neo-Schopenhauerian

Apr 16, 2018
It's just an idea for an interesting project before I pass away, which is very likely to occur this year. I've been researching suicide and depression for years, and alienation and feelings of isolation, disconnectedness, are the critical factors for the vast majority (Of course, this isn't true for everyone):

https://web.archive.org/web/2017042...05/maslow-be-damned-how-social-belonging.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics...d_a_neurology_of_loneliness_the_neurological/

I think modern society has led to levels of alienation and dissatisfaction that are among the highest levels in history despite the advances mankind has made, because there's a profound between genes and environment, societal trends have caused a trajectory that lead to increasing alienation and isolation, and for some the level of consciousness achieved, intelligence and awareness of certain information and concepts, which have been made far more available due to the internet.

I just think it would be nice to have meetings IRL, even allowing masks if someone wants to feel anonymous, and maybe someone would even be generous enough to provide anxiolytics (Xanax is the most well known) and stimulants for those who have severe anxiety or are at the level where they lack the energy and motivation to even want to speak (Note: This couldn't actually be planned openly because it would be illegal.), where people could talk openly about the most taboo subject there is, not have others attempt to talk you out of it, given unwanted useless advice, empty platitudes, have the risk of someone having you involuntarily committed. Basically everything negative that we came to subreddits like SS to avoid, members being only people who genuinely understand and are in the same position.
There are possibilities with this that wouldn't be possible for those who have reached the level of total isolation (I was pretty much a full blown hikikomori for years) where they have no one, or just don't feel they have the right people. Maybe someone would want to give MDMA therapy or psychedelics a try before passing on.

Once again, nothing illegal could be planned openly, so the base state of the proposal can simply be called "the support group".

It just isn't the same interacting with text on a screen or even via webcam. We're all limited by our biology, and despite extensive and intensive experimentation I was unable to find a way to prevent the extreme depression it induces. Could be fun, or it could just ease some suffering and loneliness before deciding that life isn't for you. The odds of a stranger being dangerous are extremely low and what do you have to lose if you're already planning to die? It can be liberating if you genuinely intend to go through with it.
I'm in the Los Angeles area and can travel to the Bay Area, where i lived until last year (Random gang violence triggered a series of events that made me have to leave suddenly).

0blivi0n

0blivi0n

ᴡᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀs
May 2, 2018
I like how you think. I would be up for it but I live in the UK- online suicide club for those who couldn't travel abroad? (Maybe one day I could travel, but I can't right now.) I known it isn't the same though; but it would nice to just to have a group of people that you knew, who didn't try to control you. To be free about wanting death.

N

Neo-Schopenhauerian

Apr 16, 2018
There's a good chance you could find someone in your area. I think people should try to form them wherever there are enough people, ideally large cities, that they may find enough like minded people.

Reactions: Cyanide
N

Neo-Schopenhauerian

Apr 16, 2018
Some cross posts from Reddit:

EndOn09l20l18 2 points 2 hours ago

I think this would be a great idea. There is an entirely different aspect to speaking to someone that people who don't have any form of bond with anyone in real life don't experience. You will never get the impact of body language through text or webcam, and that interaction is pretty vital, I'd say. Also, they could experience new things like you said (MDMA Therapy or psychedelics), which could at the very least let someone know what is out there, and they can say they've tried it. Then there is the obvious, this could create bonds between people that could actually help someone. Misery loves company, and it's entirely possible that the bonds that could be potentially formed through a group like this could prevent a suicide.

The issue, however, is how would this group be advertising? Like a support group, as you said, but what if someone who shows up to the "support group" isn't as far down the path of suicide as most, and chooses to report it to the police? Police investigate, if we assume drugs are involved then they will get the narcotics unit involved, crackdown during a meeting, and we can safely assume everyone in the meeting's life just got significantly worse. A criminal record and potential jail time on people who are already suicidal? Sounds like something America would do. Just something to think about.

Love the idea though.

• Neo-Schopenhauerian[S] 1 point 32 minutes ago

To address your concerns, any applicants should be screened.

The best advice is to tell no one of the specific day you have planned. We could start a tradition of having a celebration when someone's life is close to the end.

I don't think the risk is something to be concerned about. Law enforcement, especially in major metropolitan areas, have far more important things to be concerned bout. I used to have similar paranoia about LE years ago, but as I learned more about how they operate I realized how unfounded the paranoia was. It's similar to how many people might feel their first time buying drugs, and eventually it becomes a completely casual activity.

N

Neo-Schopenhauerian

Apr 16, 2018
I struggled immensely with this in the past when considering to try meeting others. The overwhelming fear of being disliked, rejection.

This really isn't an issue. If you've reached the level where you're planning to die, the standard social dynamics you fear can arise normally have no reason to be at play here.

Death makes us all equal, nothing we are or have accomplished will bring us any joy/benefit in non-existence. We aren't competing for mates, resources, or social dominance. Depression of this level tends to alter your behavior far away from the ugly reality of the masses, and the majority are bound to be more thoughtful than average. The kind of people on communities like this will likely be some of the safest and most understanding people you could find.

We're all going through the same choice, the most important in life, something that people rarely go through with. We're essentially equals who have no reason to fear each other (And sublingual etizolam can rapidly reduce any remaining fear in people with anxiety disorders, such as me.)

I probably hate myself more than anyone. What are the odds you won't feel better by comparison to someone who has spent over a decade deconstructing the countless ways they hate who are? Even if you just sit and listen without saying anything the first time just having someone there who cares enough to listen about the most important thing in your life that you can't tell anyone else or make them understand is an enormous gift.

0blivi0n

0blivi0n

ᴡᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀs
May 2, 2018
Maybe so, but how do you even go about finding people who seriously suicidal? I know people who say they are, but in reality don't even understand the meaning.

Yeah, I think it could really be a thing- but it as you said it probably be hard to do; I mean there will always be a risk when talking online to strangers, some people just couldn't understand how we feel and potential could ruin it. I think the only way to do it would be only letting people join after you get to know a little about them, in a sense?

I think if anything, that would be the most honourable thing you could do when someone finally ended their life. Rather than repressing them to conform and try to live a life that's never going to get better, celebrate their abilty to have being able to gain the courage to break free.

Personally, I don't care about the risk. I'm suicidal. There's nothing anyone can do me to make this life any worse than it already is.

I agree with you- that's why people with similar mindsets flock together. We're the only people who can understand what's it's like to be suicidal. It would be great; kind of like a support group, just without the judgement. I mean, just being on this website for these short few days has been a small relief; it's weird, but I feel far safer around people who just know what's it's like, and aren't going to hate me for it.

Mia

Mia

May 1, 2018
I really like this idea. If this project happens I agree that applicants should be screened or some kind of protocol should be in place in case this attracts unwanted attention like police etc.

Squidward

Squidward

This is as brave as I know how to be...
Apr 18, 2018