Now_And_Then

Now_And_Then

If I am no good , then let me out
Jun 30, 2019
If I stabbed my self in the neck with a sharp kitchen knife , how effective would this be ?

Does it depend where on the neck I stab ?

Cheers

Reactions: 8yy8uiyhbij
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
If you severed arteries...

But seriously, there's got to be a better way.

Reactions: Mr2005

8yy8uiyhbij

Feb 11, 2019
From what I've experiance, I'm at the end of "better way", I just want effective as it seems OP does

Reactions: rata1
DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher

Still searching
Jun 18, 2019
Quick and efficient if you sever the arteries on one side or the other of your windpipe. Assuming you could get over the survival instinct to actually do it.

You should pass out in seconds once the arteries are severed, the sudden blood pressure drop in the brain will cause it to happen very quickly.

I hope you find peace if that's your choice.

Reactions: Lennox
lilyeehaw

lilyeehaw

yeehaw?
Jun 30, 2019
Not a Doctor but I'm pretty sure stabbing yourself in the neck would-be pretty excruciating. You would probably pass out before you could pull the knife back out this causing the knife to act as a sort of seal, your heart would slow down so you weren't pumping as much blood so if you where found you would most likely survive after very invasive surgery.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
From what I've experiance, I'm at the end of "better way", I just want effective as it seems OP does
It's just as much as I'd like to die right now, I have no desire to be any crueler to myself than necessary. I'm hurting enough as it is.

Weems

Weems

Experienced
May 5, 2019
This is a method I consider if I can't get N.

I often hear that cutting is a low % method. OTOH it really seems like I could hit my carotid with a medical scalpel.

I could be delusional but this seems to be about the same as hanging as far as pain and difficulty go.

Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

My soul is awakened... and I’m f*cked
May 29, 2019
If I stabbed my self in the neck with a sharp kitchen knife , how effective would this be ?

Cheers
Pretty sure if you went for the jugular it would be very successful... tho messy. Do you have an idea of where you would go to complete said mission?

I've thought about the same but I do know a ruptured artery will spurt and it will be messy. We hold a lot of blood...

Cheers

Oblivion Lover

Oblivion Lover

No life, no suffering
May 30, 2019
This is a method I consider if I can't get N.

I often hear that cutting is a low % method. OTOH it really seems like I could hit my carotid with a medical scalpel.

I could be delusional but this seems to be about the same as hanging as far as pain and difficulty go.
Hanging, if done right, should be far less painful and gruesome than cutting and much faster from your perspective. Of course, there are incorrectly pulled off hangings in which the person struggles against the rope for minutes wanting to breathe and dies by suffocation, but that should only happen if something is very wrong. Normally, hanging kills by blocking the bloodflow to the head, which is mostly painless and causes the person to pass out in seconds, and there are also drop hangings which break the person's neck and that make them pass out instantly, so most of the time hanging is a somewhat peaceful, if not aesthetically unpleasant and undignified death, but that is just a matter of preference.
Edit: I forgot to mention the most gruesome cause of death by hanging: decapitation. It sure must be very painful to have your head ripped off of the body, but consciousness is (probably) lost quickly too. Even that, in a way, is better than just suffocating.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Partial-Elf and Weems
Now_And_Then

Now_And_Then

If I am no good , then let me out
Jun 30, 2019
Pretty sure if you went for the jugular it would be very successful... tho messy. Do you have an idea of where you would go to complete said mission?

I've thought about the same but I do know a ruptured artery will spurt and it will be messy. We hold a lot of blood...

Cheers

Where is the jugular though ? And how accurate does my stab need to be ? If the jugular is really narrow , then I would have to be lucky

Reactions: Libracusp_1022
Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
I stabbed at myself today the heart location with a sharp kitchen I could feel pain with just the sharp knife presssing against my skin

• Aww..
Reactions: Lennox and sadbunny
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
Its pretty easier said than done. I thought about it as well. But i feel like with SI, i wouldnt be able to, let alone having the courage and at the same time the mental strength to actually stab myself, i feel like it would be pretty tough mentally to do it to yourself, and the pain endured through doing so and bleeding out slowly is also worrysome.

Lennox

Lennox

No alarms, and no surprises...
Jul 21, 2019
When I first became suicidal, cutting my own throat was the first method that occurred to me. But I couldn't even begin to try. SI kicks in pretty hard, and also I'm a wuss. But I was in a state of desperation wanting to end things asap. Soon I gave up on that idea and started to look into as painless as possible methods..

I read back then the case of an Indian dude who was able cut his own throat in public, according to the report he collapsed pretty fast:
A 32 year old male arrived at a coconut shop in a public place in the afternoon. Coconut vendor being busy with other customers, taking advantage of the situation the deceased grasped the knife, routinely used for cutting coconuts and cut his throat with that knife in the presence of many people at the venue. He immediately fainted down in the pool of blood and was brought to King Edward Memorial hospital, Mumbai in an injured condition where he was declared as brought dead.
He was a trained worker in a slaughter house, where he used to regularly cut throats of many animals as a part of his job.
Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090536X16300077

Last edited:
Reactions: pole
Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

May 29, 2019
Where is the jugular though ? And how accurate does my stab need to be ? If the jugular is really narrow , then I would have to be lucky
Google is your friend, my friend. I'd say figure it out and then punch it into your jugular for the best results.

Lennox

Lennox

No alarms, and no surprises...
Jul 21, 2019
Google is your friend, my friend. I'd say figure it out and then punch it into your jugular for the best results.
I'm no doctor, but I believe damage to an artery is worse than damage to a vein. So cutting the carotid artery would be worse than cutting the jugular.

Reactions: Bulletwbttrflywings
Bulletwbttrflywings

Bulletwbttrflywings

May 29, 2019
I'm no doctor, but I believe damage to an artery is worse than damage to a vein. So cutting the carotid artery would be worse than cutting the jugular.
I only say jugular because I'm not a medical professional and it's prominent in today's society.

So yes. Go for the carotid artery.

T

thomasdoyletad

Jul 12, 2019
I've been cutting for a long time. I sharpen knives, hollow ground scissors and wood turning tools commercially, and have used just about every bladed tool on earth to self-harm with and I can tell you that cutting or stabbing yourself to any depth, even with a freshly honed straight razor or a disposable DE blade (both of which, for the record, are much sharper than surgical scalpels) or with the point of a scandi-ground knife (which is so thin it's practically invisible) is extremely hard. Even the smallest things can make it harder; like the presence of hair, dry skin (have a hot shower first) a dry blade (lubricate it with shaving soap, warming it up helps as well for some reason) and, speaking bluntly, sanity. I mean you need to be in some kind of altered mental state if you want to do real damage. Either drugged up to your eyeballs, manic, or psychotic. The only time I ever manage to cut deep enough to leave scars are when I'm completely off my head, usually in some kind of mixed affective state. It's one of the few ways I can bring myself down and I don't even feel it. So yes either be totally crazy (or off your head on drugs) or you'd need to completely anaesthetise the area you want to cut. You're almost certainly going to sever nerves before you hit anything vital either way and this is a problem. It might even make you feel like you've succeeded and are bleeding out as when you cut a nerve it makes you feel dizzy, light-headed and extremely disoriented for a while. You may throw up or pass out. It might stop you cutting or puncturing to the right depth though as the effect is fairly debilitating and comes on very rapidly.

Consequences of failure might be very unpleasant as well. Serious nerve, organ and brain damage are on the cards and unless you really tear open a massive vessel like the carotid artery or puncture your aorta medical intervention, even basic first aid, is likely to be very effective so you don't want to try this with people around particularly as they're going to notice you spraying pints of blood everywhere. Ambulances carry saline (which will prevent heart failure, but not necessarily brain or organ damage) and EMTs can easily clamp up damaged blood vessels with hemostats especially if they're close to the surface.

The best way to do this would be to try to automate the process somehow. Most suicides I've read about that weren't accidental (or didn't involve combining cutting with huge amounts of CNS depressants) involving puncture wounds or cuts were done with tools like circular saws or nailers. Even then the person doing it was usually prone to psychosis or mania. Though I imagine it's much easier to get around your instinct for self-preservation when you only need to tap your wrist against something or pull a trigger compared to actually ramming inches of cold steel into your body. If you don't have access to something like this instead of trying to stab yourself in the neck (which, if you're hell bent on stabbing yourself, use an ice-pick or something; a knife will just make it much harder and more painful, is much more likely to sever nerves, and most people's knives are dull as bricks anyway) you'd probably be better off trying to 'trick,' yourself somehow; holding your implement of choice in line with your aorta and slamming yourself into a door (tie the handle to the doorknob so it gets pulled out when you drop) would be a lot easier than actually stabbing yourself. Especially the neck. Your lizard-brain knows where you're most vulnerable and is hard-wired to protect such places (neck, eyes, and groin especially) at all costs.

I can cut myself to bits all day long. Even when I'm sober I often test newly sharpened tools on myself (I have two cuts on my palm from a paring knife I honed a few days ago right now actually, and just as an indication of how bad knives are at cutting skin, I had to really push and drag just to get these teensy little nicks that look like paper cuts) but even at my most manic I'd never be able to bring a razor near my neck, even though I know for a fact the cuts would only be superficial, the lizard-brain just won't permit it. It doesn't even like me shaving there with an open razor.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lennox and Partial-Elf
SelfHatingAspie

SelfHatingAspie

Ambitious but rubbish
Jul 2, 2019

The biggest flaw with this plan relates to the accuracy (or lack thereof) when executing this method. What happens if you miss? You may not bleed to death, but you'll probably get stuck in a very painful position until someone comes along and carts you off to hospital. To the best of my knowledge, the most effective ways to ctb involving the neck are hanging and guillotine. Although sourcing the latter could be difficult, unless you can travel back in time to late 18th century France.

Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
Very risky choice. It's all up to your dexterity. I don't think I should take any chances. The best way is a bullet from the right angle to the head. So why am I still here? Because it's not easy to get a gun in my country. The Americans are very lucky. There is always an exit button that they can access. I have to choose helium, but it's too complicated.

But still do you want to do it, you can put an ice pack on your neck. When your throat is numb, you can do it painlessly.

Sorry for my english translated by google.

Reactions: Mr2005
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
It would be so easy to use a knife, there's several in the draw next to me. I've thought about the heart myself. Yet it's not easy at all. I'm glad of the survival instinct on this one. If I did it I'm almost certain I'd wish I hadn't. Even if it worked I just don't think it would be quick enough.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
There's also the possibility of missing completely but permanently damaging your vocal cords, so then you're stuck living and never being able to speak again. That would be awesome, right?