Genetics

Genetics

Apr 8, 2020
I have a DNR that is very strict.

if I were to attempt a suicide and be unsuccessful and taken to the VA. Would they be forced to adhere to my DNR? or because the act that brought me in being illegal they would ignore my DNR so as not to be an accessory to my suicide?

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
As long as you were of sound mind when you signed the DNR (and presumably a doctor certified you as such when witnessing the DNR) then I think medical professionals are required to follow your DNR irrespective of the circumstances or method surrounding your death.

But that is just my layperson understanding, you would want to find a more definitive answer than mine before taking any final steps.

EDIT: Additionally, suicide is not illegal in the USA. So the issue for medical professionals is not whether they risk becoming an 'accessory' to your suicide (which they do not) by following your DNR and withholding resuscitation. It is whether your decision to be DNR is made with sound mind. As above, my lay understanding is that as long as the DNR was made in sound mind, it is irrelevant whether the subsequent suicide attempt was (arguably) not made in sound mind. But definitely check this yourself, and I am happy to be corrected on this.

SECOND EDIT: @Genetics, it seems my original clear-cut opinion above (now struckout) was unfortunately incorrect. For USA see examples of some relevant viewpoints here, here and here.

Last edited:
Genetics

Genetics

Apr 8, 2020
As long as you were of sound mind when you signed the DNR (and presumably a doctor certified you as such when witnessing the DNR) then I think medical professionals are required to follow your DNR irrespective of the circumstances or method surrounding your death.

But that is just my layperson understanding, you would want to find a more definitive answer than mine before taking any final steps.
Damn! I want to change my current DNR and the VA doctor's refuse to sign it because "you're too young to have a DNR". Which is incredibly stupid of them. Young people can have accidents and illnesses that could put them in a situation that they would want a DNR. I had to pay full price to see a private doctor to sign it and I just 1) don't have that kind of money now, 2) don't want to go to a doctor's office until I have a new DNR (in case I catch the virus I want my updated DNR in place).

I forgot all about the doctor witnessing. Thank you.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Damn! I want to change my current DNR and the VA doctor's refuse to sign it because "you're too young to have a DNR".

You'd think if you were old enough to serve in the military, you'd also be old enough to have a DNR! :O

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Genetics

Genetics

Apr 8, 2020
You'd think if you were old enough to serve in the military, you'd also be old enough to have a DNR! :O
I'm 59!!!!!! "oh you're still young and healthy". The VA does a "Problem List" of all my active medical and mental health issues. There are 47 things on that list today! I want to ask them what a unhealthy person looks like. The 1st doctor at the VA refused because she is Catholic and she doesn't "believe" in DNRs. I told her that odds were that she wouldn't even be there when they adhered to it so she wouldn't have to pull my feeding tube! Still a hard no.

Reactions: autumnal
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I'm 59!!!!!! "oh you're still young and healthy". The VA does a "Problem List" of all my active medical and mental health issues. There are 47 things on that list today! I want to ask them what a unhealthy person looks like. The 1st doctor at the VA refused because she is Catholic and she doesn't "believe" in DNRs. I told her that odds were that she wouldn't even be there when they adhered to it so she wouldn't have to pull my feeding tube! Still a hard no.

Oh wow, I assumed you were early twenties or something.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
@Genetics, I found some new information and updated my original opinion above.

Genetics

Genetics

Apr 8, 2020

EDIT: Additionally, suicide is not illegal in the USA. So the issue for medical professionals is not whether they risk becoming an 'accessory' to your suicide (which they do not) by following your DNR and withholding resuscitation. It is whether your decision to be DNR is made with sound mind. As above, my lay understanding is that as long as the DNR was made in sound mind, it is irrelevant whether the subsequent suicide attempt was (arguably) not made in sound mind. But definitely check this yourself, and I am happy to be corrected on this.

SECOND EDIT: @Genetics, it seems my original clear-cut opinion above (now struckout) was unfortunately incorrect. For USA see examples of some relevant viewpoints here, here and here.
I stand corrected on my blanket illegal statement. You are correct, although in 2018 a Maryland man was charged and convicted of attempting suicide. Rather harsh to punish someone for failing, just makes you try hard next time.

I think I won't worry about the DNR both my husband and daughter are my back up decision makers so even if the VA decides I'm not of sound mind at the time or when I did the DNR then my husband would decide, if he won't my daughter will. They both know my very strong wishes on the subject. Thanks for all the work you did on this! You put the smile on my poop face.

Reactions: autumnal
N

N2Narcosis

Jun 5, 2021
It's so sick that anyone can ignore/override a DNR for any reason.

Anyone who does that should be fined and lose their license.

But yeah as far as I know they can just ignore your DNR because suicidal people have no rights.

Reactions: NoMoreMorbidity