Disappointered

Disappointered

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2020
This might have already been discussed to death (figuratively and literally?) in which case I guess it's a waste of people's time. But I noticed that some of the few bits of culture that stuck with me over time in some form or another seem like they're advocating suicide. I'm thinking specifically of Glass Menagerie and La Strada. I re-watched the ending of Nights of Cabiria today and it prompted me to write this because the last scene is apparently about continuing as a humiliated abused loser in an absolutely miserable world...is that sarcasm on the part of the director? Is it a cryptic means of advocating for suicide w/o being able to do so openly? In the case of La Strada both lead dismal lives, the Fool (only source of happiness) is killed at which point his watch breaks and in the end the abusive man is permanently damaged after losing what he wasn't in a position to truly appreciate. Based on the last image of him lying face down on the beach weeping, it would seem he can't go on. With Glass Menagerie it really seems that the female in question just can't deal with the reality of her life: because it is so horrible as to be unlivable so should she just quit life physically as well as socially?

Those who've taken any thorough interest in that play and these two movies probably know why I'm wrong since I don't recall ever hearing suicide come up in any discussions about them, so maybe it's just my narrowed cynical depression-fueled bias. It's weird that they're so popular but appear, at least to me, to be implicitly advocating for suicide.

Who knows really. Maybe not even the writers/directors.

• Love
Reactions: tryingtoescape and patheticpartner