Ffaxanadu

Ffaxanadu

Aug 14, 2024
I often stay awake at night thinking about how to kill myself, and since I don't have access to substances like SN, I commit to finding alternative solutions.

Last night I thought one method could be to touch the subway power track, which carries high-voltage electric current.

I did a brief research, and I found a newspaper article about a person who died this way.

The risk is that if security personnel see someone going on the tracks, they'll cut the power.

As for the rest of the people, in case of success, the line would be interrupted for a long time.

It seems to me a fast, reasonably safe and clean method; maybe it'd be better to be alone in the station not to shock other people.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I have no idea what that would feel like. I do know what getting household electrical shocks feel like and I don't like that. Hopefully, it would be quick. I think I have read that finger and toenails can pop off due to the high current. I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if death occurs quickly. You'll probably have a burn injury wherever your body touches the rail.

maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024
I have no idea what that would feel like. I do know what getting household electrical shocks feel like and I don't like that. Hopefully, it would be quick. I think I have read that finger and toenails can pop off due to the high current. I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if death occurs quickly. You'll probably have a burn injury wherever your body touches the rail.
Lots of variables! Lots can go wrong. I hope you find what you're looking for & can find peace🌹💔

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
Ffaxanadu

Ffaxanadu

Aug 14, 2024
[...] Hopefully, it would be quick. [...] I guess that wouldn't be a big deal if death occurs quickly. [...]
According to that newspaper, the guy died immediately.
While I was searching on Google, I found multiple articles about people died touching high-voltage suspended cables, so that's another option, harder to accomplish though.

Reactions: possum.notfakin and locked*n*loaded
Blurry_Buildings

Blurry_Buildings

Just Existing
Sep 27, 2023
A lot of people touch those and live, and most of them become paralyzed from the waist or neck down. Especially if you are younger I wouldn't.

Reactions: maniac116
max_vader2

max_vader2

Aug 27, 2024
I also had an accident with household electrical. Wasn't fun in the slightest.

More over, high chances of survival and getting paraplegic.

So I guess it's a hard no for me

Reactions: maniac116 and locked*n*loaded
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I also had an accident with household electrical. Wasn't fun in the slightest.

More over, high chances of survival and getting paraplegic.

So I guess it's a hard no for me
Although, that amount of third-rail voltage would be a totally different experience I assume. I knew a guy a bunch years ago who got electrocuted working on the high-voltage overhead power lines on the railroad. From what I remember, I guess death was fairly instantaneous.

max_vader2

max_vader2

Aug 27, 2024
Although, that amount of third-rail voltage would be a totally different experience I assume. I knew a guy a bunch years ago who got electrocuted working on the high-voltage overhead power lines on the railroad. From what I remember, I guess death was fairly instantaneous.
My problem with electrocution is that electricity is a very fussy lady. Sometimes it hits you like a train, and other times it completely ignores you

Reactions: locked*n*loaded
B

Bleh61

Jul 4, 2024
I don't have a suggestion, just venting. I really wish that emergency care for suicidal people was better. I went inpatient twice. Thankfully, the first time was ok. There were some patients I could talk to and only a few zombies. The last time was just traumatic. Depressed, suicidal people should not be housed in the same place as psychotic patients. If the system was more attentive to our needs, fewer people woul wind up CTB.
I would suggest thtat you refrain from activities like jumping in front of a train. or jumping onto the tracks. if someone sees you die, they will likely suffer significant psychological trauma.
That's the thing that has always kept me from taking the train.

C

chester

Aug 1, 2024
My problem with electrocution is that electricity is a very fussy lady. Sometimes it hits you like a train, and other times it completely ignores you

That's why, as someone with an engineer's degree, I feel the need to point out that we need to be precise here. There are many standards around the world in terms of railway and urban transport power supply. The voltages may vary. The third rail systems use predominantly DC with voltage less than 1000V. London underground uses 2 power rails with +420V and -210V, adding up to 630V (it's not actually adding, but rather it's the difference between the two numbers that matters).

I knew a guy a bunch years ago who got electrocuted working on the high-voltage overhead power lines on the railroad. From what I remember, I guess death was fairly instantaneous.

Would be good to know where exactly that happened. In some systems, the overhead lines are AC with the voltage from 15,000V up to even 25,000V. If that's what he touched, I'm not surprised.

Of course there are people who were killed by a wall outlet and there are people who survived a lightning strike. Nothing is 100% certain here, but at least we can estimate probability of success if we know the details.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Would be good to know where exactly that happened. In some systems, the overhead lines are AC with the voltage from 15,000V up to even 25,000V. If that's what he touched, I'm not surprised.
It was at a railroad yard in the US. I don't want to get too specific as to let out my exact location. Just say Ohio. I don't have any of the exact parameters of the voltage, but I do know there is some large, electricity-sucking machinery at the yard. It's been a lot of years since it happened, probably pushing better than 35, but if I remember right he was up in a bucket lift, when someone operating a crane, accidentally struck a pole, or something else, causing live wires to fall and make contact with the bucket he was in. His wife ended up with a lot of money out of the deal.