Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
There are probably a lot of stories like this out there but I gotta get it off my chest.

Patient tried to hang themselves with a belt on the door handle in the ER.

1. Literally every nurse/doctor is being told about this. It's treated like some new interesting drama happening that for some reason everybody needs to know about.

2. Laughing about the fact that he suddenly decided against it as it hurt (apparently don't know SI exist or smth). I also cope with humor but this just seemed like uneducated people talking about a matter they don't even try to understand.

3. Picking up Patient to bring to the psych ward (around 2-3 hours after hearing of the story). Ambulance service tells psych ward staff about what happened, again, emphasising how he stopped because it hurt. (Staff just rolled their eyes).
Ambulance service proceeded to talk about their other suicide transportation drives. One told other that woman tried to ctb by cutting her wrists horizontally instead of vertically. Other person went 'argh 🙄, if you gonna go do it at least do it right'.

That person certainly didn't understand anything since they tried to grasp that that was really a person that tried to ctb. And that they would ask them so many questions if they had the chance. (At least, that's both what they said)

Went to another ER. Made sure to tell some nurse there. Again, emphasising on the 'stopped cause it hurt' . Nurse started laughing like it was a really rediculous joke.

Later made the joke that the patient should have used dental floss then so it won't hurt as much. Obvs the patient had a bruised throat but whatever, right.

Ambulance service person made sure to tell literally anyone they came across how ridiculous it was for the patient to not have tried a higher point but a 'fucking door handle'. (Never heard of partial hanging apparently).

The reason this is a vent thread and not story is because I am just so fucking upset about it. I had to try so hard to keep my mouth shut. They were both young but the others they told weren't and it got made fun about everywhere. They just don't understand anything about it and yet still have to open their goddamn mouth. And that as 'professionals' in the medical field. It is truly sad. Do better.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hmph!
Reactions: thecolourgold, Skathon, Mortadelo and 16 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Those people sound really insensitive, it's not even surprising that non suicidal people would act in such a way, it would be different if they went through a failed hanging attempt. Humans certainly are too cruel.

• Love
Reactions: cgrtt.brns, Rogue Proxy, Dead Meat and 3 others
unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I am not surprised this continues to occur. It is despicable.
if you gonna go do it at least do it right'.
And they think this site is encouraging people to suicide.
But they cannot see the reflection in their own clouded mirror.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Skathon, annxietty, cgrtt.brns and 6 others
StolenLife

StolenLife

Warlock
Sep 19, 2022
The scary fact is that the medical profession attracts a lot of sociopaths and psychopats with God complex. Unfortunately most of them end up in services related to mental health and get off on all the suffering there. I saw some myself while I was in med school. I hate that this happens and I already hate this unjust world. When I was hospitalised the minors who were in the room with me were constantly creeped on by this one asshole and the technicians did nothing about it, it was up to us older girls to defend them. I'm sorry that you had to witness this.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: unnormal9, Huntfish34, cgrtt.brns and 4 others
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
The scary fact is that the medical profession attracts a lot of sociopaths and psychopats with God complex. Unfortunately most of them end up in services related to mental health and get off on all the suffering there. I saw some myself while I was in med school. I hate that this happens and I already hate this unjust world. When I was hospitalised the minors who were in the room with me were constantly creeped on by this one asshole and the technicians did nothing about it, it was up to us older girls to defend them. I'm sorry that you had to witness this.
First of all, thank you for protecting the minors. Some of them really are despicable humans. I am so sorry That you had to have such shit experience as well.

Don't feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for people that have to be talked about like this. I choose this path but thank you anyways <3

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, StolenLife and Dead Meat
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
Maybe they were upset that he caused such a scene, but it's still crazy to start making jokes at the expense of it. Empathy and understanding are sometimes hard to find in the nursing field (there are probably reasons for that, like that they are just doing their job and trying to protect themselves)- it all depends on your own attitude and ability to cope.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Maybe they were upset that he caused such a scene, but it's still crazy to start making jokes at the expense of it. Empathy and understanding are sometimes hard to find in the nursing field (there are probably reasons for that, like that they are just doing their job and trying to protect themselves)- it all depends on your own attitude and ability to cope.
They were not. They were not upset about anything. It was more like they belittled him for doing a stupid thing in their eyes.
Also, this is not only focused on the nursing field but the medical field in general. And this has nothing to do with their attitude or ways to cope but their sheer ignorance.

I am sorry but it seems like you missed the whole point of this story.

Reactions: Skathon
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Mar 23, 2023
They were not. They were not upset about anything. It was more like they belittled him for doing a stupid thing in their eyes.
Also, this is not only focused on the nursing field but the medical field in general. And this has nothing to do with their attitude or ways to cope but their sheer ignorance.

I am sorry but it seems like you missed the whole point of this story.
I think I understand, people usually don't have a motive to attack someone for no reason. I have lived in a mental hospital for over a year and have thought about things from the point of view of patients and nursing staff. They are only human after all.

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Mar 23, 2023
It seems you really don't
I don't understand what I don't understand. As a user of this site, you yourself probably understand that we can't always bear responsibility for the well-being of others. Maybe he would have needed more support in that situation, but he probably scared them when he was caught, probably by raging and fighting back. It's just another day at work for them.

S

Someonewhotypes

Feb 15, 2021
scary how they literally have your life in their hands but they actually don't give a damn about you (maybe just about how much you can pay)

Reactions: Skathon
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I don't understand what I don't understand. As a user of this site, you yourself probably understand that we can't always bear responsibility for the well-being of others. Maybe he would have needed more support in that situation, but he probably scared them when he was caught, probably by raging and fighting back. It's just another day at work for them.
I think you missed the point of them being my coworkers. They are not saving themselves. They are deciding to be ignorant and belittling peoples suffering. Why would you feel the need to tell everyone else.

I am with the ambulance team, he wasn't fighting, he wasn't raging. He did nothing to us that would make them say what they did. He was tired. He barely talked. It was just another day at work for US but that doesn't excuse any of their actions.

Are you sure you are on the right site? Fighting so hard to justify wrong behaviour in the medical field sounds like smth some of those lovely people on twitter would do. Just saying.
scary how they literally have your life in their hands but they actually don't give a damn about you (maybe just about how much you can pay)
I am from Europe so it's not really about paying. And yes, it is crazy. If a patient doesn't cooperate they just shrug and say ,guess they'll die then'. To be fair they can't do anything if the patient doesn't cooperate but still

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: unnormal9, Skathon, SexyIncél and 1 other person
D

Disaster

Experienced
Jan 24, 2023
It's not even about empathy, it would suffice if they were professional, but they weren't. That's what you encounter in the ER: patients who need urgent medical help, including mental health patients. It's dumb that so unprofessional people have the power over the patients. I don't expect people working in healthcare to be very empathetic, because compassion fatigue etc., but I expect them to have their shit together enough to be professional. And of course I'm frequently disappointed.

Reactions: Skathon and betternever2havbeen
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Mar 23, 2023
I think you missed the point of them being my coworkers. They are not saving themselves. They are deciding to be ignorant and belittling peoples suffering. Why would you feel the need to tell everyone else.

I am with the ambulance team, he wasn't fighting, he wasn't raging. He did nothing to us that would make them say what they did. He was tired. He barely talked. It was just another day at work for US but that doesn't excuse any of their actions.

Are you sure you are on the right site? Fighting so hard to justify wrong behaviour in the medical field sounds like smth some of those lovely people on twitter would do. Just saying.

I am from Europe so it's not really about paying. And yes, it is crazy. If a patient doesn't cooperate they just shrug and say ,guess they'll die then'. To be fair they can't do anything if the patient doesn't cooperate but still
Okay, these were just speculations, I understand why you despise them and thanks for your patience in explaining in detail. I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of environment myself, especially from your point of view. What makes people so careless and mean... It would be nice to know that my so-called helpers didn't give a damn about me and were actually just making jokes at my expense.

Reactions: SexyIncél
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Okay, these were just speculations, I understand why you despise them and thanks for your patience in explaining in detail. I wouldn't be comfortable in that kind of environment myself, especially from your point of view. What makes people so careless and mean... It would be nice to know that my so-called helpers didn't give a damn about me and were actually just making jokes at my expense.
Don't thank me. I wasn't being patient at all. I am just still upset, I'm sorry.

I don't despise them as people. I despise people's attitudes about mental health and suicide because they don't care to inform themselves and still have the audacity to judge in any way. Especially from those that are supposed to help us.

• Love
Reactions: unnormal9, Skathon, betternever2havbeen and 1 other person
U

Unending

Enlightened
Nov 5, 2022
Yeah, this is exactly the type of thing that makes me want to completely lose my cool. People seemingly can't grasp the seriousness of these things and the severity of the suffering involved if they or someone they care about immensely haven't experienced it. It's just so hurtful and infuriating that people who are in desperate and intolerable pain are mocked and treated like fucking toddlers. I have way more to say about this but am about to be leaving my house so will have to come back later if I remember... I would be extremely upset hearing this stuff too.

• Informative
Reactions: unnormal9, Skathon and Valky
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
wouldnt have been funny if they succeeded. people have succeeded with belts attatched to a door in pysch wards, and a wide variety of other methods used. dont know why they were insensitive, they should kno better.

• Informative
Reactions: unnormal9 and Valky
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Mar 23, 2023
Don't thank me. I wasn't being patient at all. I am just still upset, I'm sorry.

I don't despise them as people. I despise people's attitudes about mental health and suicide because they don't care to inform themselves and still have the audacity to judge in any way. Especially from those that are supposed to help us.
You were patient because you took the time to clarify the matter - I don't understand English that well and I didn't know what your profession is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Yeah, this is exactly the type of thing that makes me want to completely lose my cool. People seemingly can't grasp the seriousness of these things and the severity of the suffering involved if they or someone they care about immensely haven't experienced it. It's just so hurtful and infuriating that people who are in desperate and intolerable pain are mocked and treated like fucking toddlers. I have way more to say about this but am about to be leaving my house so will have to come back later if I remember... I would be extremely upset hearing this stuff too.
Took the words out of my mouth
You were patient because you took the time to clarify the matter - I don't understand English that well and I didn't know what your profession is. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Don't apologize. It's my bad for not clarifying. I tried not to enclose what I actually do atm since I thought it is not necessary for the context but seems like it is. I am doing an internship at one of the ambulance service stations of my state/country.

English isn't my first language either so I totally get you. Sorry for causing the misunderstanding. Can't be too certain of the people on here but I also get where you are coming from with your arguments.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: unnormal9