Tälos

Tälos

Jul 4, 2023
Hi! I started medication a while ago, but it wasn't really working, so my phsychiatrist changed it up a little. Currently I am taking 30 mg of prozac (fluoxetine), 75 mg of effexor xr (venaflaxine) and 25 mg of seroquel (quetiapine). I feel dreadful and only have 2 moods: either I am numb and I can't focus my sight, or I cry for literally everything, doesn't matter if it's good or bad. I also have a lot of trouble staying focused for long periods of time, but this might just be the depression. Does anyone have experience with those particular drugs?

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem and The anhedonic one
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I personally don't have experience with such meds and I personally would never take them.
I can't focus my sight
I cry for literally everything
doesn't matter if it's good or bad
I also have a lot of trouble staying focused for long periods of time
I doubt that these unwanted side effects will help your actual problem to be cured at all. This is my personal opinion and it's up to you what you decide but really, mental stuff is suh a complex field and as long as oyu don't know what's really causing your mentql problems it's all a trial an error test nothing else unfortunately.

There are people around here who found their meds and conditions to recover but it's by luck and trial and error it can take a long time. I really hope for you you can find our way to go.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NumbItAll and The anhedonic one
The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
Effexor ( venlafaxine ) is utterly evil. I bet the Docs never told you about the horrific side effects when you eventually stop taking them.
I suffered 6 months of withdrawal hell after coming off this nasty drug. Sertraline is a far better option.

Reactions: illvoid
Tälos

Tälos

Jul 4, 2023
I have read about it, and I have done extensive reasearch on every drug as I am a pharmacist student, so I did know about the withdrawals, but I feel extremely hopeless and before actually ctb I want to try giving drugs a chance, if you know what I mean.

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem and Praestat_Mori
mazzy

mazzy

Evil cannot be undone
Jun 30, 2023
Be careful with Prozac! There are often side effects that can make depression and suicidal ideation worse. Just keep an eye out for any signs. If you feel somethings not right with it, don't be afraid to speak up about it.
Often times with antidepressants they start you at a low dosage and slowly build up, so if at first it's not working you can ask for a higher dosage. It's always great to atleast try out meds to see if they can help, so you've already taken a huge step! <3

Reactions: The anhedonic one, LittleJem, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I have read about it, and I have done extensive reasearch on every drug as I am a pharmacist student, so I did know about the withdrawals, but I feel extremely hopeless and before actually ctb I want to try giving drugs a chance, if you know what I mean.
Yes I fully agree ctb should only ever be the very last option one should take in any case! I really hope you can find a way to recover!!

Reactions: The anhedonic one and Misfit72
PrematureBurial

PrematureBurial

ex nihilo nihil fit
Jul 5, 2023
That's quite a cocktail. Which of these meds are a new addition to your existing therapy and you're not used to taking yet? Whenever I receive something new I give it about six months to prove itself; I wouldn't lose hope in the meds just yet, but if the status quo is completely unbearable you need to reach out to your doctor immediately and describe what's off in the most clinical terms possible. I took Seroquel for a year as a stabiliser that would also enable me to sleep at night. It did both, but for the first two months I would fall asleep for sixteen hours per day and if not, feel like a sleep-deprived zombie with completely numb thoughts for half of the day. After some time I got used to it and the bad effects subdued, but it did have a slight numbing effect for the entire year, albeit not critical.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: The anhedonic one and Tälos
Tälos

Tälos

Jul 4, 2023
That's quite a cocktail. Which of these meds are a new addition to your existing therapy and you're not used to taking yet? Whenever I receive something new I give it about six months to prove itself; I wouldn't lose hope in the meds just yet, but if the status quo is completely unbearable you need to reach out to your doctor immediately and describe what's off in the most clinical terms possible. I took Seroquel for a year as a stabiliser that would also enable me to sleep at night. It did both, but for the first two months I would fall asleep for sixteen hours per day and if not, feel like a sleep-deprived zombie with completely numb thoughts for half of the day. After some time I got used to it and the bad effects subdued, but it did have a slight numbing effect for the entire year, albeit not critical.
I was on prozac for about 6 weeks, and last week I had effexor and seroquel added. I was given seroquel because I couldn't sleep either. I can sleep just fine now, but my main problem now is effexor, as I have tremors, blurry vision and dizzyness depending on the day.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: The anhedonic one and PrematureBurial
illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
Oh my god, that doesn't sound like a good combo. I've taken all of these separately and I will say; other two aren't so bad but I just got off Effexor. The side effects are terrible and the withdrawals are even worse & can last months. 75mg is about double the normal 'starter' dose. Please, please be careful & keep close contact with your doctor. Report any side effects you have.

• Hugs
Reactions: The anhedonic one
Tälos

Tälos

Jul 4, 2023
I don't know, I have only been on this combination for a week, so I will give it some more time and see how it goes I guess. I feel extremely tired and unable to focus, I feel I was doing so much better when I was only on prozac.