M

matt1968

Student
Nov 6, 2023
There have been quite a number of deaths in rivers recently in the UK.

Very sad and reflects a very high profile disapparance and death around this time last year in the UK with Nicola Bulley.

It's often involved women walking near rivers in darkness and the added possibility of accident or assault as well as suicide.

I was wondering if folk had any thoughts?

• Aww..
Reactions: Hysteria
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It really shouldn't come as a surprise to them if they see more public and violent deaths- jumping, drowning, train, hanging. With the further clamp down on methods like SN- desperate people will end up doing desperate things. It's not like this country has the resources to help people. The NHS is on its knees. People are struggling with the cost of living. What do they think will happen? If they simply further restrict the relatively peaceful methods and slap up a few more helplines we can ring, people will struggle on? Some might, some won't though.

It's awful though- I agree. I can't imagine the fear they went through. Plus- I imagine it will be extremely tough on the families left behind. Not that it's ever going to be easy for them but- it's got to be even more upsetting picturing a loved one enduring a violent, distressing death.

Reactions: minutelate119, losing hope and matt1968
M

matt1968

Student
Nov 6, 2023
It really shouldn't come as a surprise to them if they see more public and violent deaths- jumping, drowning, train, hanging. With the further clamp down on methods like SN- desperate people will end up doing desperate things. It's not like this country has the resources to help people. The NHS is on its knees. People are struggling with the cost of living. What do they think will happen? If they simply further restrict the relatively peaceful methods and slap up a few more helplines we can ring, people will struggle on? Some might, some won't though.

It's awful though- I agree. I can't imagine the fear they went through. Plus- I imagine it will be extremely tough on the families left behind. Not that it's ever going to be easy for them but- it's got to be even more upsetting picturing a loved one enduring a violent, distressing death.
Yes I agree with all your points. I wonder, separately, if some people do it with a degree of ambiguity wrt whether it's viewed as an accident or suicide.

It is horrendous.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes I agree with all your points. I wonder, separately, if some people do it with a degree of ambiguity wrt whether it's viewed as an accident or suicide.

It is horrendous.

Absolutely. It's very difficult when people don't leave a note. Maybe they do that in the hopes it might be considered an accident. Still- it could just as easily be considered a homicide and it's often the families that are under scrutiny then. But yeah, it's got to be terrible for families really. Especially when people just go missing.

Obviously- I support pro-choice and I believe we have the right to take our own lives. Just speaking personally though. If it was someone I knew- while of course it would still hurt terribly, I'd prefer to hear that they didn't suffer so much in the end. If I found out someone had gone out via some brutal method, I don't think I could help but go over it in my mind and feel awful about how scared they must have been.

Reactions: losing hope and matt1968
TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
There have been quite a number of deaths in rivers recently in the UK.

Very sad and reflects a very high profile disapparance and death around this time last year in the UK with Nicola Bulley.

It's often involved women walking near rivers in darkness and the added possibility of accident or assault as well as suicide.

I was wondering if folk had any thoughts?
Its crazy that you have posted this, as I have been reading alot about these deaths as well on my news feed.

Im not sure whether or not its the algorithm on our phones that throw more of these stories our way, but regardless, there are still loads of drowning suicides recently in the UK.

Its my preference for CTB, but I wouldn't want to die in some dirty canal or river, id rather it be somewhere cleaner, fresh water (like Lake District) .

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep and matt1968
M

matt1968

Student
Nov 6, 2023
Its crazy that you have posted this, as I have been reading alot about these deaths as well on my news feed.

Im not sure whether or not its the algorithm on our phones that throw more of these stories our way, but regardless, there are still loads of drowning suicides recently in the UK.

Its my preference for CTB, but I wouldn't want to die in some dirty canal or river, id rather it be somewhere cleaner, fresh water (like Lake District) .
Good to hear from you.

I had become a keen outdoor swimmer before this latest bout of depression. I got out this last summer in the Avon (I am in Birmingham).

I'm conflicted - I am comfortable in open water but not sure it's my preference for CTB.

I did have a moment in some wild sea about a year ago that I thought I'd let it take me.
Absolutely. It's very difficult when people don't leave a note. Maybe they do that in the hopes it might be considered an accident. Still- it could just as easily be considered a homicide and it's often the families that are under scrutiny then. But yeah, it's got to be terrible for families really. Especially when people just go missing.

Obviously- I support pro-choice and I believe we have the right to take our own lives. Just speaking personally though. If it was someone I knew- while of course it would still hurt terribly, I'd prefer to hear that they didn't suffer so much in the end. If I found out someone had gone out via some brutal method, I don't think I could help but go over it in my mind and feel awful about how scared they must have been.
Well said and food for thought.

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Did any of these deaths involve SWB? I don't know why SWB isn't talked about more as a ctb method. Now that SN is difficult to get in the uk.

TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
Did any of these deaths involve SWB? I don't know why SWB isn't talked about more as a ctb method. Now that SN is difficult to get in the uk.
They will never go into detail about suicide in news stories……very little anyway.

Imprisoned

Imprisoned

Oblivion
Jan 10, 2024

It's so cruel that society makes us resort to these violent and painful methods. I'm tired of these fucking shit ass hotlines that do nothing

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: matt1968, Forever Sleep and TimetoGo!
M

matt1968

Student
Nov 6, 2023
They will never go into detail about suicide in news stories……very little anyway.
Yes that's right. And they are very much been reported as disappearnaces then discovering people - the speculation about what happened tends to focus on accidentally entering the water.

Reactions: TimetoGo!
TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
Yes that's right. And they are very much been reported as disappearnaces then discovering people - the speculation about what happened tends to focus on accidentally entering the water.
Yeh I feel they are 100% intentional suicides , just suits the media/police not to mention it

Reactions: losing hope
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022

I love the Lake District! I really want to go and see The Strid in Bolten Abbey in Yorkshire. Not that I'd plan to go out that way but it's an incredibly dangerous, yet beautiful river. Supposedly, there's a 100% fatality rate- but I imagine a horrendously scary way to go. It's effectively a river on it's side with very strong currents in a very narrow stretch that pull anyone to the bottom. It's not something I would advise- obviously. The thought of it horrifies me. I think a lot of deaths have been accidental too. People trying to jump over the rocks which are slippery.

Sad as well really. Such a beautiful place- it's got to be awful for the people that discover the bodies. Still- they wouldn't have to be dealing with all that if they legalised assisted suicide. I imagine most people would prefer not to traumatise people with their deaths.

Reactions: matt1968 and TimetoGo!
TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
I love the Lake District! I really want to go and see The Strid in Bolten Abbey in Yorkshire. Not that I'd plan to go out that way but it's an incredibly dangerous, yet beautiful river. Supposedly, there's a 100% fatality rate- but I imagine a horrendously scary way to go. It's effectively a river on it's side with very strong currents in a very narrow stretch that pull anyone to the bottom. It's not something I would advise- obviously. The thought of it horrifies me. I think a lot of deaths have been accidental too. People trying to jump over the rocks which are slippery.

Sad as well really. Such a beautiful place- it's got to be awful for the people that discover the bodies. Still- they wouldn't have to be dealing with all that if they legalised assisted suicide. I imagine most people would prefer not to traumatise people with their deaths.
Yeh ive seen a few YouTube videos on the strid…..its basically like a washing machine that spins you round and round until you drown. No way of getting out. Pretty horrific way to die if you accidentally slipped in.

Reactions: matt1968 and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yeh ive seen a few YouTube videos on the strid…..its basically like a washing machine that spins you round and round until you drown. No way of getting out. Pretty horrific way to die if you accidentally slipped in.

It looks so beautiful and innocent too. Like a babbling brook! I'm kind of surprised they haven't put netting all over it with health and safety as it is. But yeah. I think- unless you were 'lucky' enough to hit your head on a rock on the way down, it would be terrifying I would have thought. I want to see it before I die though. Not to die in but because I love rivers and waterfalls. Have you got any recommendations? Fellow Lake District fan?

Reactions: matt1968
M

matt1968

Student
Nov 6, 2023
I've been clattered and span by big sea waves before and that's quite nasty in itself.

Toobrokentofix

Toobrokentofix

Experienced
Jul 7, 2020
What us SWB?

• Hugs
Reactions: Hysteria
TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
It looks so beautiful and innocent too. Like a babbling brook! I'm kind of surprised they haven't put netting all over it with health and safety as it is. But yeah. I think- unless you were 'lucky' enough to hit your head on a rock on the way down, it would be terrifying I would have thought. I want to see it before I die though. Not to die in but because I love rivers and waterfalls. Have you got any recommendations? Fellow Lake District

What us SWB?
Shallow water blackout
It looks so beautiful and innocent too. Like a babbling brook! I'm kind of surprised they haven't put netting all over it with health and safety as it is. But yeah. I think- unless you were 'lucky' enough to hit your head on a rock on the way down, it would be terrifying I would have thought. I want to see it before I die though. Not to die in but because I love rivers and waterfalls. Have you got any recommendations? Fellow Lake District fan?
No real recommendations really but the Lake District is beautiful.