• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Jumper Geo

Jumper Geo

Life's a bitch and then you die.
Feb 23, 2020
From The New York Times:

"The draft law goes to the Senate, where it is likely to pass. The country would join a handful of others allowing terminally ill patients to obtain aid to end their lives."

Read article here

Wow there is hope for the UK then as there are so many Brits living in Spain it may cause a knock-on effect if Brits are allowed access assisted suicide the rest of the UK will hear all the stories and soon get jealous,:smiling: so it will be forced to be spoken about in parliament and eventually passed I think. Spain is much more accessible than Switzerland and most other European locations, many people have been there for holidays so if they allow foreign people to CTB that will be a short hop from the UK.

Thanks, that's cheered me up, :smiling:

Geo

Last edited:
Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
interested to know their definiton of "terminally ill". Canada does not recognize untreatable mental illnesses as being terminal. reason being that people who falls under that category are not of "sound mind" to decide their own fate. wish north american govt were more progressive in that respect like certain countries in europe.

torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
This is a paragraph from this mornings New York Times. The Catholic church thinks the weak chooses to die. It takes a far larger person to end their own life to protect the resources of the remaining family rather than deplete all the family resources. It is my opinion that unless the Catholic shurch is willing to financially support the survivors forever they need to shut their big ugly mouth.

Spain is a traditionally Catholic country and the Church has strongly opposed the idea of decriminalizing euthanasia or assisted suicide. Earlier this month, the Spanish Church's Conference of Bishops warned that the "presumed right" to assisted dying would put a person under undue pressure. "The experience of the few countries that have legalized euthanasia is that it incites the weakest to seek death," the Church wrote in a statement headlined "Life is a gift, euthanasia a failure."

Donk

Donk

Useless since day 1
Jan 3, 2020
This is a paragraph from this mornings New York Times. The Catholic church thinks the weak chooses to die. It takes a far larger person to end their own life to protect the resources of the remaining family rather than deplete all the family resources. It is my opinion that unless the Catholic shurch is willing to financially support the survivors forever they need to shut their big ugly mouth.

Spain is a traditionally Catholic country and the Church has strongly opposed the idea of decriminalizing euthanasia or assisted suicide. Earlier this month, the Spanish Church's Conference of Bishops warned that the "presumed right" to assisted dying would put a person under undue pressure. "The experience of the few countries that have legalized euthanasia is that it incites the weakest to seek death," the Church wrote in a statement headlined "Life is a gift, euthanasia a failure."
wish these people would some time in our shoes. tell me if life is still a gift afterwards

D

Deleted member 24006

Nov 20, 2020
I am weary and Tired of Life

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
From The New York Times:

"The draft law goes to the Senate, where it is likely to pass. The country would join a handful of others allowing terminally ill patients to obtain aid to end their lives."

Read article here
I wonder if this would also apply to foreigners living in Spain, and if the pending new law would also include those suffering chronic mental anguish.

ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
I wonder if this would also apply to foreigners living in Spain, and if the pending new law would also include those suffering chronic mental anguish.
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm just going to assume no until I hear otherwise.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020

I disagree with them that it makes a person weak, but even if they are right in saying that - it still should not matter. Everybody has a weakness and we all have our limits. It is not "giving up", it is knowing when enough is enough.

Yes life could be considered a gift (or not) depending on how you look at existence, but like all gifts we never asked for it. Life is framed as an imposition when it should not, and instead we should have a choice on what to do with it; just like those socks that you get every year at Christmas.

Last edited:
torimandy

torimandy

Fear is the mind killer
Aug 3, 2020
I disagree with them that it makes a person weak, but even if they are right in saying that - it still should not matter. Everybody has a weakness and we all have our limits. It is not "giving up", it is knowing when enough is enough.

Yes life could be considered a gift depending on how you look at existence, but like all gifts we never asked for it. Life is framed as an imposition when it should not, and instead we should have a choice on what to do with it; just like those socks that you get every year at Christmas.
Life is a gift? Only if that gift is free of suffering in my estimate. Until society is willing to place a higher value on suffering than they do on simple life, everything will be a mess forever.

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Life is a gift? Only if that gift is free of suffering in my estimate. Until society is willing to place a higher value on suffering than they do on simple life, everything will be a mess forever.

Oh no I do not think that life is a gift; I said that because that is what some individuals believe. Life will never be truly free of suffering unfortunately - which is why I do not consider it a gift either.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This is good news for the EU, and as more countries start to legalize voluntary euthanasia starting from terminally ill patients, this would pave the way towards getting death with dignity for people with other chronic conditions. I too, hope the UK and more countries will soon follow suit in legalization of assisted suicide for those who are suffering immensely.

AMorteVivente

AMorteVivente

The void is only scary until you truly suffer
Mar 15, 2020
I am Spanish and I plan to undergo the procedure because of mental health issues. I made a post about this here.

I will talk with my GP on Monday to see what she knows about this, and I will call my psych and DMD (a right to die organization) the same day (or in the same week if I can't talk with them on Monday) to see if this is possible in my situation. I will tell you the results next week.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
Do they accept cases of mental illness?
I spoke with them and they say they do, with the proper documentation e.g.: psychiatrist consultations, and they suggested more than one doctor, but I have no idea in actual practice. Someone else here in this discussion suggested that Dignitas is making it very difficult by lots of hoops to jump through which could very well be the case.

Reactions: ohhgeeitsme
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
I am Spanish and I plan to undergo the procedure because of mental health issues. I made a post about this here.

I will talk with my GP on Monday to see what she knows about this, and I will call my psych and DMD (a right to die organization) the same day (or in the same week if I can't talk with them on Monday) to see if this is possible in my situation. I will tell you the results next week.
Yeah, please keep us updated! I hope it works out for you.
I spoke with them and they say they do, with the proper documentation e.g.: psychiatrist consultations, and they suggested more than one doctor, but I have no idea in actual practice. Someone else here in this discussion suggested that Dignitas is making it very difficult by lots of hoops to jump through which could very well be the case.
Oh I'm sure. It doesn't surprise me that it's like that. The thing is though, motivation and energy is such a big problem for me.. even just going to a doctor for one damn visit takes a lot of will. I lost my insurance after losing my job, so I can't even afford a bunch of doctor visits anyway.

Last edited:
AMorteVivente

AMorteVivente

The void is only scary until you truly suffer
Mar 15, 2020
My GP has no idea about the new euthanasia law yet, but she told me I can make a last will to ensure emergencies won't reanimate me even if someone calls them in the middle of my ctb attempt, I guess that is more than enough.

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
My GP has no idea about the new euthanasia law yet, but she told me I can make a last will to ensure emergencies won't reanimate me even if someone calls them in the middle of my ctb attempt, I guess that is more than enough.
Interesting keep us updated.