D

doublecupj

Jul 12, 2022
I have never called any of the suicide hotlines or associated resources, but I have a suspicion they would mostly be useless for anyone with real physical, mental or financial difficulties.

But one thing I would love to do, is to call them and pose a simple philosophical question. The question is this:

If we did not consent to being born, and we actively dislike being alive, why is it moral to force us to stay alive?

I think really, that's the core of the issue with "suicide prevention". It seems to me that it's a moral act they claim to be doing, but what are they basing their moral framework for this on? I really want to know.

But I'm guessing, they have never been asked such a question, would not have a satisfactory answer, and would instead dismiss me as "thinking irrationally" and threaten to call the police on me. Am I right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kit1 and myusername890
underscore_nine

underscore_nine

the sweet release
Feb 17, 2023
I have never called any of the suicide hotlines or associated resources, but I have a suspicion they would mostly be useless for anyone with real physical, mental or financial difficulties.

But one thing I would love to do, is to call them and pose a simple philosophical question. The question is this:

If we did not consent to being born, and we actively dislike being alive, why is it moral to force us to stay alive?

I think really, that's the core of the issue with "suicide prevention". It seems to me that it's a moral act they claim to be doing, but what are they basing their moral framework for this on? I really want to know.

But I'm guessing, they have never been asked such a question, would not have a satisfactory answer, and would instead dismiss me as "thinking irrationally" and threaten to call the police on me. Am I right?
basically yeah, it comes down to legal liability, the one time i called a hotline i ended up in the hospital for 12 hours having to lie in order to not get grippy socks. Don't ever call a suicide hotline if you don't want people to interfere with your journey to death

Reactions: Mateira, bridgegirl and Kit1
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'd certainly see suicide hotlines as best avoided, of course they'll be all pro-life with the intention of making sure that other people continue suffering. Of course one would be labelled as being "irrational" for even asking that, the reason as to why there is so much brainwashing into trying to make people believe that preferring death is "irrational" is because the society needs slaves.

Reactions: xxpinkmoonglitterxx and Kit1
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I will humor this question with an answer I dont personally believe in:

Many who have claimed they dislike being alive have fought to enjoy life and succeeded. Even when the odds may not be in our favor, dying is permanent while searching for hope is temporary. You can always ctb, but you can only seek recovery for as long as you are alive.

That said, suicide hotlines are a sort of call if you want to get better sort of deal, so it could be argued that anyone calling them has a level of hope and therefore is more likely to recover. It's not for people like us so any arguement they have to counter that is somewhat null by default.

Reactions: Kit1, Praestat_Mori and doublecupj
D

doublecupj

Jul 12, 2022
I will humor this question with an answer I dont personally believe in:

Many who have claimed they dislike being alive have fought to enjoy life and succeeded. Even when the odds may not be in our favor, dying is permanent while searching for hope is temporary. You can always ctb, but you can only seek recovery for as long as you are alive.
Well, the problem with the "dying is permanent" argument is...that's the whole point of suicide! You want a permanent solution. Like when my car breaks down, I would prefer that it's permanently fixed. When I have cancer, I would prefer that it's permanently in remission. That argument actually makes suicide more favorable, not less.

If I'm perpetually having issues with my health (physical or mental), my finances, disliking life in general....I want that permanently resolved.

Reactions: DarknessInMe, xxpinkmoonglitterxx and Kit1
WeDontKnowTheFuture

WeDontKnowTheFuture

Student
Feb 3, 2023
I called tem a few time before to discover this website. Yes, their jobs is to prevent suicide therefore they will generally be careful about not saying anything related to suicide as a choice.
However, i one came accross a old women who was pro choice. She told me that the decision of taking his own life away is an important decision that we should not taken slightly. I appreciated talking to her, she was kind and open-minded. I realized at this time that i didn't want to die, i was just in atrocious pain and loneliness without knowing a way to get out if it. Things has changed overtime, now my ideation are constant, it was not at this period. It was only coming when i was with a group of peoples and feeling out of it.

Reactions: DarknessInMe and Kit1
K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I withheld my number and called them once. Before starting the conversation about why I called them, I asked them to confirm my number and they happily did so. I disconnected the call as I realised that these guys could see my number despite using a witheld number. So much for privacy laws.