• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

poisoned to my rotten core
Oct 1, 2023
Hi all!

I've been a longtime lurker on SS, but finally got around to creating an account. I think I'm pretty dead set on hanging as my method, but I have a couple logistical questions on doing it.

1) Does the rope need to be straight down, or is an angle permissible? I'm thinking about using a shelf as an anchor and dropping out of a 2nd floor window (the shelf would be behind me), but I wasn't sure if the drop needed to be straight down in order to kill me with minimal pain.

2) Is there a recommended knot to tie around the anchor? I know you want to use a slipknot around your neck, but I haven't really found much information on what knot to tie around the anchor. Step-by-step guides on tying it would be much appreciated too.

3) What's the best way to test your setup? I'm mostly concerned about how well the rope/anchor will hold during convulsions, is the best way to test it just to tie the rope and shake it violently?

I'd glanced in the hanging megathread already, but most of the questions/answers there concerned partial hanging and I wasn't able to really find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance!

• Hugs
Reactions: Jealous Blackheart and nicotine_goblin
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
Hey, welcome to ss. Are you planning on doing a long drop hanging? Either way I believe it's better to drop straight down. Snuggle hitch is good, that's the one Rina sent a guide for. For testing it's better to use your full weight. What kind of rope do you have? I believe the recommended width is 10-15, also depends on the kind of rope. You can look up the manufacturer site to see how much it can hold, should be at least double your weight for short drop, and quite a bit more for long drop since you need a force of around 1700 j to break the neck. Also are you sure the shelf will hold?

Upvote 0
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
A lot to think about here.
Gravity will always pull you down. Angles can complicate things. Way too many variables to discuss.

Test any setup holding the rope with both hands and see if it holds your weight. Wiggle around to simulate body motion.

Drop out a window when tied to a shelf. Your setup will likely fail but the fall might kill you.

Tie any knot that will hold. What knots can you tie? Tie and test.

Reactions: Chr0nicAnhedonic
Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
A lot to think about here.
Gravity will always pull you down. Angles can complicate things. Way too many variables to discuss.

Test any setup holding the rope with both hands and see if it holds your weight. Wiggle around to simulate body motion.

Drop out a window when tied to a shelf. Your setup will likely fail but the fall might kill you.

Tie any knot that will hold. What knots can you tie? Tie and test.
They said 2nd floor window so I doubt that would kill. I'd rethink the set up, anchor it to something sturdier

Reactions: Chr0nicAnhedonic and Worndown
Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
Hey, welcome to ss. Are you planning on doing a long drop hanging? Either way I believe it's better to drop straight down. Snuggle hitch is good, that's the one Rina sent a guide for. For testing it's better to use your full weight. What kind of rope do you have? I believe the recommended width is 10-15, also depends on the kind of rope. You can look up the manufacturer site to see how much it can hold, should be at least double your weight for short drop, and quite a bit more for long drop since you need a force of around 1700 j to break the neck. Also are you sure the shelf will hold?
Initially, I was planning to do asphyxiation rather than breaking the neck because I wasn't if the drop from my window would be far enough to do so. I've got 10mm rope made for docking boats, but I'll have to double check to see if it'll actually hold my weight (initially didn't think much of it because I'm a fairly skinny fella).

They said 2nd floor window so I doubt that would kill. I'd rethink the set up, anchor it to something sturdier
Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board on this. I don't have any ceiling fixtures where I live (none suitable for holding a body anyway), so I thought the shelf/window strategy would work because I figured the shelf was sturdy enough to hold me while slipped out the window. Glad I asked before trying anything.

Reactions: easy
Upvote 0
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Hanging is basically very simple. A rope, a chair and a strong pipe or beam gets it done.

Reactions: Ads
Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
Initially, I was planning to do asphyxiation rather than breaking the neck because I wasn't if the drop from my window would be far enough to do so. I've got 10mm rope made for docking boats, but I'll have to double check to see if it'll actually hold my weight (initially didn't think much of it because I'm a fairly skinny fella).

Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board on this. I don't have any ceiling fixtures where I live (none suitable for holding a body anyway), so I thought the shelf/window strategy would work because I figured the shelf was sturdy enough to hold me while slipped out the window. Glad I asked before trying anything.
Long drop is unforgiving in terms of mistakes, a lot of variables and if you mess something up you'll end up with a much more painful short drop basically, or worse. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're 100% sure what you've doing. At home it's easier to set up partial hanging because the anchor doesn't have to be as sturdy
https://web.archive.org/web/20180113134153if/https://a.uguu.se/N1e53EmCSkUr_Howtohangyourself.pdf here's some useful info on full and partial hanging, there's more in the pinned thread on methods

Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
Long drop is unforgiving in terms of mistakes, a lot of variables and if you mess something up you'll end up with a much more painful short drop basically, or worse. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you're 100% sure what you've doing. At home it's easier to set up partial hanging because the anchor doesn't have to be as sturdy
https://web.archive.org/web/20180113134153if/https://a.uguu.se/N1e53EmCSkUr_Howtohangyourself.pdf here's some useful info on full and partial hanging, there's more in the pinned thread on methods
I initially wanted to do partial because of how easy it sounded and I *think* I have a good enough anchor for it, but I hadn't really come across many success stories, so I doubted the efficacy of it.

I'll have to take another look at those resources, thank you!

Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
I initially wanted to do partial because of how easy it sounded and I *think* I have a good enough anchor for it, but I hadn't really come across many success stories, so I doubted the efficacy of it.

I'll have to take another look at those resources, thank you!
I've actually read in "Suicide and attempted suicide" by Stone (it's in resources too) that roughly 60% of hangings were partial in a certain year. It seems like a decent method to me but hard to pull off

Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
I've actually read in "Suicide and attempted suicide" by Stone (it's in resources too) that roughly 60% of hangings were partial in a certain year. It seems like a decent method to me but hard to pull off
I clearly didn't do much research lmfao

What makes it hard to pull off? Just SI or are there more logistical problems?

Upvote 0
claraisnotcarol

claraisnotcarol

from dust to dust
Oct 4, 2023
wow, I actually thought long hanging was easier, maybe cause of breaking the neck. idk I'm kind of scared of asphyxiation, and I've been thinking it for a while now.
and matching profile pics!

• Love
Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
wow, I actually thought long hanging was easier, maybe cause of breaking the neck. idk I'm kind of scared of asphyxiation, and I've been thinking it for a while now.
and matching profile pics!
Yeah, I'm not really that afraid of asphyxiation (I tend to choke myself when I self-harm), but I can definitely see why that would be scary for someone.

Also, yay for matching! I swear there's a link between being suicidal and being a Madoka fan lmao

• Love
Reactions: claraisnotcarol
Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
I clearly didn't do much research lmfao

What makes it hard to pull off? Just SI or are there more logistical problems?
SI and it can take a while to find the correct spot, where it's easiest to constrict the arteries. Usually it's easier slightly under the Adam's apple and when you fall into the noose quickly. You can tell that it worked if you start feeling weak and your head is NOT filling up with blood. If it is it means you only blocked the veins or took too long

Upvote 0
claraisnotcarol

claraisnotcarol

from dust to dust
Oct 4, 2023
Yeah, I'm not really that afraid of asphyxiation (I tend to choke myself when I self-harm), but I can definitely see why that would be scary for someone.

Also, yay for matching! I swear there's a link between being suicidal and being a Madoka fan lmao
it's curious because I also have a thing for choking, it calms me when I have an anxiety attack and also in a sexual way.
I think it's the fear of dying in pain.
SI and it can take a while to find the correct spot, where it's easiest to constrict the arteries. Usually it's easier slightly under the Adam's apple and when you fall into the noose quickly. You can tell that it worked if you start feeling weak and your head is NOT filling up with blood. If it is it means you only blocked the veins or took too long
thanks I thought it was over the Adam's apple

Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
Also in partial the goal isn't asphyxiation, you're supposed to put just enough pressure to block the arteries and not enough to block the trachea, you aren't gonna choke, just pass out within 15-20 seconds due to oxygen rich blood not reaching your brain

Upvote 0
With0ut

With0ut

In bereft land, a raven, flies.
Oct 1, 2023
Also in partial the goal isn't asphyxiation, you're supposed to put just enough pressure to block the arteries and not enough to block the trachea, you aren't gonna choke, just pass out within 15-20 seconds due to oxygen rich blood not reaching your brain
so it's the night night method but with a rope?

Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
it's curious because I also have a thing for choking, it calms me when I have an anxiety attack and also in a sexual way.
I think it's the fear of dying in pain.
That makes sense to me, it's why I didn't go with any of the more violent methods. Don't really want my last thoughts to be "oh god I am in the worst pain imaginable", no matter how much of a masochist I might be.
It's interesting because I already knew this and had found the sweet spot when I first got my rope, but I completely spaced on it here.

Reactions: claraisnotcarol
Upvote 0
claraisnotcarol

claraisnotcarol

from dust to dust
Oct 4, 2023
at this point the only thing I want is not getting caught before it's completely done. it's like, 30 min until there's no way to be saved right?

Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023
at this point the only thing I want is not getting caught before it's completely done. it's like, 30 min until there's no way to be saved right?
Yeah, you have to have at least 30 minutes alone. Can't have anyone who'd be able to see/hear you in that time.

I work nights, so by the time I come home, everyone in the house is already asleep and they're pretty heavy sleepers too. I'm pretty sure I have that part taken care of at least.

Upvote 0
claraisnotcarol

claraisnotcarol

from dust to dust
Oct 4, 2023
Yeah, you have to have at least 30 minutes alone. Can't have anyone who'd be able to see/hear you in that time.

I work nights, so by the time I come home, everyone in the house is already asleep and they're pretty heavy sleepers too. I'm pretty sure I have that part taken care of at least.
oof, I couldn't do it in my house, but because I have an eight year old brother and I don't want my baby brother to grow up traumatized. also, I thought, what if I do it in the woods or something? but then some rando could find me and my letters and who knows how many time could've passed since I'd died till I was found.
ugh, even for death I seem a petty princess.
oof, I couldn't do it in my house, but because I have an eight year old brother and I don't want my baby brother to grow up traumatized. also, I thought, what if I do it in the woods or something? but then some rando could find me and my letters and who knows how many time could've passed since I'd died till I was found.
maybe when I know for sure that my brother won't be home for at least a day? and I have a seventeen year old too. I just don't want them to see it

• Love
Upvote 0
S

saddavyd

Sep 18, 2023

Would you be found by your own family. This happenned to us when our son ctb by hanging. It was a trauma that never goes away, in top of the loss, it would be kinder if your family do not have to be the ones who find you. It's your choice what you do of course and I home you find peace, but try not to make it any harder than it already will be for those you leave behind.

Reactions: nicotine_goblin
Upvote 0
Chr0nicAnhedonic

Chr0nicAnhedonic

Oct 1, 2023

maybe when I know for sure that my brother won't be home for at least a day? and I have a seventeen year old too. I just don't want them to see it
Would you be found by your own family. This happenned to us when our son ctb by hanging. It was a trauma that never goes away, in top of the loss, it would be kinder if your family do not have to be the ones who find you. It's your choice what you do of course and I home you find peace, but try not to make it any harder than it already will be for those you leave behind.
I used to be a lot more worried about my family finding me and being forever traumatized by it (still kinda am, it was the reason I didn't go through with it for the longest time), but at some point I stopped caring. I don't really have a good rationale beyond "what about me and my pain", I've gotten a *lot* more selfish lately.

I'm not in any rush to CTB just yet honestly, there's still a few things I want to do before I go. If things go well, I could have my own place in a year or so, so I'll try to hold out for that. I just wanted a plan for if things go south between now and then, really.

Upvote 0
nicotine_goblin

nicotine_goblin

Student
Aug 28, 2023
If you want to do partial hanging but afraid you'll be discovered by someone close, you could book a hotel room and do it there. Would have to improvise the anchor point though

Upvote 0
claraisnotcarol

claraisnotcarol

from dust to dust
Oct 4, 2023
I used to be a lot more worried about my family finding me and being forever traumatized by it (still kinda am, it was the reason I didn't go through with it for the longest time), but at some point I stopped caring. I don't really have a good rationale beyond "what about me and my pain", I've gotten a *lot* more selfish lately.

I'm not in any rush to CTB just yet honestly, there's still a few things I want to do before I go. If things go well, I could have my own place in a year or so, so I'll try to hold out for that. I just wanted a plan for if things go south between now and then, really.
I understand, it may be long but I've given myself 6 years tops, no more than thirty years (also I'm really scared of getting old)

I really dont mind that much about my parents finding me, specially because they think I'm bluffing! after hospitals, overdoses, ans self harm!
but as time passes it feels a lot more difficult to commit the "perfect ctb" to oneself. years ago I thought it would be the easiest thing in the world.

Upvote 0