T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
To distract myself a little from suicidal thoughts. They are still there but when I run I forget because I focus only on breathing and keeping the right speed. Just that. I'm still suicidal. I think that's "inavoidable" but at least I am not suicidal the time I run if I have no thoughts lol.

• Love
Reactions: throwaway_2620, JINXiT, a_strange_day and 6 others
BooGirl

BooGirl

Warlock
Jan 10, 2020
How easy is it to start running? Do you need special shoes or whatever?

Reactions: TimeToBiteTheDust
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
How easy is it to start running? Do you need special shoes or whatever?
Yes. You should use trainers for running. I've been running last years for several months after being suicidal because I wanted to be in shape but now I do it to distract myself a little. It helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: JINXiT, Deleted member 14573, mesohappy and 2 others
A

Anchors

May 2, 2019
I started running recently too. Definitely helps, at least while I'm doing it.

• Love
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
That's good,glad you found a distraction/outlet.I haven't worked my way up to running yet.But I been going out everyday on some pretty long walks with the dog..Last Sunday went on a long bicycle ride.Also been going to some local churches and food pantries to eat free meals with the homeless and other needy people.Some interesting convos at those tables sometimes..Last December I couldn't even bring myself to leave the house!

enjoy

enjoy

Creature
Dec 20, 2019
running is nice. i was super into track and field when i was still in high school. it made me feel a lot better about myself, inside and out.

the fact that exercise can not only make the body, but the mind better as well is indisputable. scientifically proven! hurray for endorphins!

T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
running is nice. i was super into track and field when i was still in high school. it made me feel a lot better about myself, inside and out.

the fact that exercise can not only make the body, but the mind better as well is indisputable. scientifically proven! hurray for endorphins!
Yes. I felt "happy" after exercise but then I remembered how fucked up my life was and guess what came back? Suicidal thoughts
I always have that sensation of happiness after doing exercise like running or swimming but it's temporary.Then I'm not happy nor depressed. Just wishing to end my life.

Last edited:
Zer0

Zer0

Nem sempre se pode ser Deus
Sep 14, 2018
For me running has the opposite effect, i can't stand being alone with myself, i need distractions all the time otherwise the thoughts drown me.

A

a_strange_day

Arcanist
Jul 16, 2019
I used to run 10 miles at least 3 x a week. The runner's high is a temporary feeling of well being that I never found in any other sport.

Reactions: mesohappy and TimeToBiteTheDust
T

TimeToBiteTheDust

Visionary
Nov 7, 2019
For me running has the opposite effect, i can't stand being alone with myself, i need distractions all the time otherwise the thoughts drown me.
But the action of focus on your breathing and running doesn't distract you?

Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
As a former track and field runner for many years I'd recommend this advice.

1: Always stretch first
2: Stay hydrated because your muscles need it
3: Try to find a local school with a track. These circular tracks are generally made of recycled tires and are very easy on your legs. They prevent what's called stone bruises or shin splints and most schools don't mind you using them. As long as it's not during school hours.

Reactions: throwaway_2620, Hopeindeath! and mesohappy
Zer0

Zer0

Nem sempre se pode ser Deus
Sep 14, 2018
But the action of focus on your breathing and running doesn't distract you?
No, it is not enough, after a few seconds trying to focus my thoughts start to appear, at first something simple, nothing 'loud' but then it start get louder and random and i get lost in them.

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Mh In can definitely zone out completely while running. Often my brain starts sorting itself out in a way and I have these grand arguments with people in my head so that I even start gesturing and talking to myself