M

mapletree

Student
Aug 22, 2020
I know people have mentioned that injecting SN would be painful and not effective, but if they give it in the hospital IV for cyanide poisoning would it be possible to make an IV mixture of it to bypass the nausea etc? Has anyone successfully tried this or are the hospital formulations very different than what could be made with an at-home IV?

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I've said this many times before, probably a lot better than I have it in me to say now, but it likely just won't work and would do a lot more harm than good. It's just not realistic, or everyone would be trying it. It certainly occurrs to enough people.

I'm not a doctor or anything, just a very experienced patient. So maybe I'm wrong, but I'm basing this on my own experiences and research.

While it is used as an actual antidote to certain things, it's going to be a very different ratio/formulation. What we're doing is most likely going to damage or destroy any vein you attempt to use. Injection is not going to work, and a drip isn't normally something you can just do at home. A standard IV is too fragile.

Plus, we'd be doing it solo instead of having a nurse or doctor assist and monitor. I'm sure another person makes a big difference in this sort of thing. Anything IV hits super fast, so you risk getting incapacitated before finishing.

People also seem to assume IV lines are always super easy to put in, but my experience has been the opposite. I have to get them way more often than anyone should, and more often than not, multiple people have to attempt before success. Sometimes I'm lucky and get a really good person the first try, but it's kinda rare. (I do have shitty veins, but seriously...) It's not uncommon for me to leave the hospital with an arm full of blown out veins. I can't imagine trying to do it myself, at home, with no training if the professionals struggle so much.

Something like a PICC line or chemo port might work, but that's a surgical procedure. Even if you're lucky and have one already, you still need the rest of the equipment.

I also believe it would be quite painful. Obviously never done SN, but I've had other IV meds that burned like hell.

Reactions: degeneratewaste and Spitfire
A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Use the search function. Some find it too cumbersome to actually purchase a scale to measure the exact amount of SN. An IV catheter and infusion, even if practical (which it isn't), puts this far outside of the reach of almost every user here.

Reactions: k75