• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

h.s.p.

h.s.p.

Slide your knife in and out of my life
Dec 8, 2023
I'm researching antacids and wanted your opinion about Sodium bicarbonate effectiveness.
Some older versions of the PPH endorsed it and, after doing some brief research, I was considering using it.
However, while digging in some older threads, I found some weird information.

This thread claims:
sodium bicarbonate appears to have a weakening effect rather than enhancing the toxicity of sodium nitrite. Cowled et al. (2008), when 180 mg/kg of sodium nitrite alone without sodium bicarbonate was administered to pigs by gavage, the average time to death was 52±26 minutes. The survival time was longer in the group receiving sodium bicarbonate. Shugaleĭ et al. (1994) found that administration of sodium bicarbonate before a lethal dose of sodium nitrite to animals prolonged survival time, and that administration of sodium bicarbonate prior to administration of less than a lethal dose of sodium nitrite decreased blood methemoglobin concentration.

The OP - who seems to have passed - did not cite the source of this info, he simply wrote "Source...Internet Blog".
Moreover, the post continues:
it is also questionable whether cimetidine has the effect of amplifying the toxicity of sodium nitrite. Since the decrease in gastric acid secretion by taking cimetidine is the same as neutralizing gastric acid by taking sodium bicarbonate, it is reasonable to think that if orally administered sodium bicarbonate weakens the toxicity of sodium nitrite, cimetidine will also weaken the toxicity of sodium nitrite.
This is just plain wrong since cimetidine works very differently from sodium bicarbonate. And the overall conclusion makes really no sense to me.

However, it kinda put a bug in my ear.

Then I read this post, which links to a reputable source:
[...] sodium bicarbonate effectively protects the organism from toxical action of sodium nitrite. Administration of this drug promotes the increase of the lifetime of animals under intoxication with lethal doses of sodium nitrite. The preliminary administration of sodium bicarbonate permits one to decrease the level of methemoglobin in the blood under intoxication with sublethal doses of sodium nitrite [...]

I did a Google search and the only thing SN intoxication and sodium bicarbonate seem to have in common is that the latter is used to counteract metabolic acidosis, one of the possible symptoms of Methemoglobinemia.

I would like to know your opinion about possible contraindications of using sodium bicarbonate with SN - it's definitely not the best antacid, sure, but I'm pretty skeptical about it being detrimental to the SN method.

Special thanks to @littlelady774, whose posts provide me with some serious food for thought.