• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

FormerlyFe(IV)

FormerlyFe(IV)

Snapped.
Jun 27, 2023
This is a short version of this experience on Erowid: Yup, I published that. Guess having an experience on Erowid makes me part of the cool junkies? Anyways.

5-HTP is purported to metabolize into serotonin and melatonin.

Towards the end of the pandemic I tried taking 5-HTP. Reasoning being, it's easy to buy, no need to go to a doctor (and pay for said doctor), the side effects seemed minimal compared to traditional SSRIs, and there was some research suggesting it could work for people on the spectrum (AKA me).

The first day was weird. I took 100mg of 5-HTP in the morning, and soon after my stomach felt all weird and grumbly, like it was full but also it wasn't. But after some time, I did get that antidepressive effect. My apartment was a mess, and suddenly, simple stuff like trash on the ground transformed from "eh, I'll do that later, too much effort" to "this won't take a minute, toodle-oo!". I no longer had a compulsion to fill the void of my life with grindy videogames. It was nice.

For maybe the first five days, I felt its effect, but less each time. At the end of a week the effects were over. So, time to up the dose? Sure!

I then started taking 100mg of 5-HTP in the mornings and before sleep. My logic was, if I take it in the morning with a cup of coffee, I can block the effects of melatonin, and in the night, I can embrace the effects!

Nope. But it did help me get drowzy and "ready to sleep". It didn't make me sleep per se, and if I wanted I could just plow through the sleepiness it makes, it really just made me "ready to sleep". But hey, cool effect I guess.

Until, of course, I skipped a nightly dose of 5-HTP. Suddenly, I couldn't sleep. My body had grown used to the dose, and I hadn't even realized why I couldn't sleep. Instead of going to sleep at 12 - 1 AM, I stayed up until 6 - 7ish AM. Mind you, WANTING to sleep, but simply not being able to. But I finally got some rest.

The next day, I felt like taking some 1,4 BDO recreationally. Bad idea. I think the combination of extra serotonin and stress by the alcohol brought back HPPD that I thought was dormant inside me. Nice.

Later that week, I again forgot to take my 5-HTP at night. Stayed up until 5 - 6ish, and realized, "Hey, it must be the dose I forgot, I should take it now!". BAD IDEA. I had the most VIVID experience of HPPD in my life, no shit. The visual snow felt palbable. I could see the fur on my cat tower flowing with the "breeze" in now broad daylight. I was getting "head rushes" constantly. Hours later and I was still minorly fucked.

Did 5-HTP help me at all? For a few days, maybe. But I all I got in exchange was a dependence on it for sleep.

Your experience may vary. But IMO, you should probably avoid 5-HTP altogether.

Thanks for listening šŸ«‚