Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
i was raised Protestant and became an atheist at 20. I'm nearing 30 and am at the lowest I've ever been. I have no friends. I can see why religion is so important to people.

I'm considering going to daily mass as a way to add structure to my life. I don't work every day at the same time so I have no structure in that respect. I also find Catholic Churches calming. I want to feel a part of a community. This lone wolf life is painful.

Reactions: typx, dano6533 and Caerula
M

millefeui

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2018
If you think religion will help you, I don't see why you shouldn't give that a try. You can't come back from suicide.

Reactions: Karlala, dano6533, Kira and 7 others
C

Caerula

Student
Mar 20, 2018
I agree with with millefeui. I also think if you want to and believe you have a chance to have a truly happy life you can at least give it a try. Cbt is always an option if other things didn't work out anyway XD

Reactions: dano6533, wait and millefeui
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
I agree with with millefeui. I also think if you want to and believe you have a chance to have a truly happy life you can at least give it a try. Cbt is always an option if other things didn't work out anyway XD

Yeah suicide is always there in times of need. Its arms are outstretched ready to give one their final embrace.

Reactions: mattwitt, dano6533, Rocky M and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

Yes, you could go to church as a coping mechanism.

Reactions: dano6533 and Caerula
Gumby

Gumby

Student
Jun 10, 2018
Catholics love to convert Protestants...

Reactions: dano6533, Caerula and Deleted member 847
V

VX1

Student
Jun 28, 2018
No. Stick with atheism. You're too wise for fairy tales now.
Being part of something is what you're seeking. I volunteered at a hospice. Try that. You get to chat to new people, briefly.

Reactions: dano6533, JasonAce and Caerula
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
No. Stick with atheism. You're too wise for fairy tales now.
Being part of something is what you're seeking. I volunteered at a hospice. Try that. You get to chat to new people, briefly.

What's a volunteer activity that I can do daily when I'm not working?

I've spent the past decade deconverting from Christianity. It really fucked me up as a child and as a teen. I'm hesitant to jump back into it but this isolation is so painful

YaYaDr

YaYaDr

Student
Jun 26, 2018
I find it rather humorous the way this question is framed. Should I join a church or kill myself. One might rephrase the question as: which is worse, killing yourself or going to church?

Seriously though, if you think it'll help, then by all means go for it, and I say this as a rather loud, proud, and outspoken atheist. Some research studies have shown that there are some benefits to joining a church. Now if your concern is that religion might brainwash you or turn you into a mindless automaton, then be sure to consider other secular clubs that you can join. Checkout meetup.com for example and you can find social groups for free-thinkers/atheists just like us. Heck, you can partake in many other kinds of nonreligious activities like book clubs, rock climbing clubs, or basketweaving clubs. The point is, this is about your health, so it's best to leave no stone unturned when it comes to considering every possible treatment option. Good luck my friend.

Reactions: dano6533, Kira, Temporarilyabsurd and 4 others
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
such a great question.

I'm thinking it needs a punch line ...

( no disrespect intended .)

E

Eric Kalteux

May 15, 2018
If you seek enlightenment without the belief in supernatural ideas - perhaps seek to learn a little about secular Buddhism. We have all the great company of churches at our centers without the parts of religions that tend to fail the evidence-based beliefs test ;)

i was raised Protestant and became an atheist at 20. I'm nearing 30 and am at the lowest I've ever been. I have no friends. I can see why religion is so important to people.

I'm considering going to daily mass as a way to add structure to my life. I don't work every day at the same time so I have no structure in that respect. I also find Catholic Churches calming. I want to feel a part of a community. This lone wolf life is painful.

Reactions: dano6533, JasonAce and Caerula
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018

I would never tell anyone they should CTB. I know that is what I personally want.
I used to be religious … I still believe in a higher power sometimes.
However all the praying in the world isn't going to make me not be a dumbass anymore. :(
If you have brains and think you might want to stay then I suggest trying religion.
For me I love being alone … I can't stand to be around people in public anymore however there isn't any way to totally avoid that.

M

Michel Angelo

Jul 5, 2018

Going to church is just another way of suiciding - I believe it was called "philosophical suicide" in Camus' view - at least read the Myth Of Sisyphus, you might the discussion on three different ways of living / dying, one of 'em being through religion. If you have an attention span can handle reading for more than five minutes read the unabridged essay version, it's far more comprehensive and under 100 pages.

Frankly the contrasting choices don't make sense to me, no truly religious people view ctb'ing as a choice in this context, nor are there many suicidals who have much respect for religion. Perhaps if you are on the bipolar side, but still - can't you see the inherent contradictions between each, and by considering BOTH of these options you essentially are contradicting yourself?

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
Going to church is just another way of suiciding - I believe it was called "philosophical suicide" in Camus' view - at least read the Myth Of Sisyphus, you might the discussion on three different ways of living / dying, one of 'em being through religion. If you have an attention span can handle reading for more than five minutes read the unabridged essay version, it's far more comprehensive and under 100 pages.

Frankly the contrasting choices don't make sense to me, no truly religious people view ctb'ing as a choice in this context, nor are there many suicidals who have much respect for religion. Perhaps if you are on the bipolar side, but still - can't you see the inherent contradictions between each, and by considering BOTH of these options you essentially are contradicting yourself?

Better to be irrational and alive than rational and dead?