R

rollingthunder

May 3, 2023
I have a Glock handgun and 9 mm hollowpoints. However I've been reading that a shotgun is vastly preferred over a handgun. I have the means to buy a shotgun, but if a handgun will do the job just fine then I won't. Do you guys think it's worth it to buy a shotgun?

Reactions: girlsboysthems
CW36

CW36

➕〰️➰
Jul 23, 2023
Why wouldn't you? If you're planning on CTB, you don't need that money, so spending it on a shotgun to improve your odds of peace and passing up vegetable status seems like a no brainer.

• Informative
Reactions: Amyend88, trove1080p, girlsboysthems and 7 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
If firearm were my method, I'd choose shotgun over handgun all day. There's no way I'd take the chance with a handgun unless that's all I had and couldn't get anything else.

Reactions: trove1080p
S

Suspect_Device

Student
Jul 10, 2022
I met a guy who lived after a handgun attempt. He looked like Arseface from the Preacher comics.

Touhou

Touhou

2hu
Mar 9, 2023
There've been a good few occurrences of people surviving a temple shot with a handgun, albeit as vegetables. I'd say go for a shotgun, preferably a 12/10 gauge.

Reactions: JMarley
N

NambaSutra

Student
Mar 25, 2023
But let's say a shotgun is too big for some reason, like it's impossible to hide from family.

Then would you want the highest caliber handgun possible?

L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
My method will be a .357 revolver with hollow points shot above my ear. Just after drinking a large glass of stashed crushed benzos. Can this go wrong?

ctbgurl

ctbgurl

Jan 24, 2023
Why wouldn't you? If you're planning on CTB, you don't need that money, so spending it on a shotgun to improve your odds of peace and passing up vegetable status seems like a no brainer.
No-brainer, no pun intended

Reactions: CW36
S

Suspect_Device

Student
Jul 10, 2022
My method will be a .357 revolver with hollow points shot above my ear. Just after drinking a large glass of stashed crushed benzos. Can this go wrong?
I feel like the benzoos would take away one's nerve and would just be a nice temporary relief.

L

lopsidedcrawdad1

Experienced
Jun 22, 2023
But let's say a shotgun is too big for some reason, like it's impossible to hide from family.

This is a concern of mine as well. Once my background check gets approved, I plan on putting it in a hard case and burying it in some woods near my house.

nothingissacred

nothingissacred

Feb 11, 2023
honestly if you put it against your head and pull the trigger your brain turns to soup in both cases, the gases coming out of a 9mm will follow the bullet entry into the skill and will annihilate everything.
a shotgun is just a bigger mess to clean up for the ppl who find you.
but as soon as you are not putting it against your head a shotgun is obviously better

Reactions: imonadeadline
B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
12 gauge shotgun is my recommendation, although it is quite messy. I am so sorry you are going through this

D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
Realistically it doesn't matter. If you put either in your mouth and aim for your brainstem, you'll die full stop.

Although people have survived suicide attempts with a handgun, and sometimes a shotgun, these are always cases where someone aimed the gun outside their mouth, usually under the chin or the temple.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
saddestbunny

saddestbunny

pastebin.com/xJuaSE0j
Feb 16, 2023
i feel like i'd be scared of living after a handgun attempt, the human body is quite resilient and there have been people that lived after extreme cases, I feel like i would be unlucky and be the one to live with half a brain or something

R

rollingthunder

May 3, 2023
That's a fair point. I guess the only thing giving me pause is that I'm relatively short, so my arms are short and I'm not sure if I would be able to reach the trigger and get a good aim at the same time. It's not really like I can test that in the store...

D

DreamEnd

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2022
That's a fair point. I guess the only thing giving me pause is that I'm relatively short, so my arms are short and I'm not sure if I would be able to reach the trigger and get a good aim at the same time. It's not really like I can test that in the store...
I have the same problem. Don't know how to measure properly. :(

CW36

CW36

➕〰️➰
Jul 23, 2023
Yes, that would probably turn a few heads! Is there any way of finding out the exact measurements of said gun? (I don't know if they advertise what they sell online and stuff, as I don't live in the States). Then a tape measure could step in as proxy..

• Informative
Reactions: Amyend88 and rollingthunder
KochiBN

KochiBN

Aug 19, 2023

Hm if an shotgun is impossible you could go for an Smith & Wesson model 500. Chambered in .500, or the classic Desert Eagle 50.

Reactions: NambaSutra
tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
no one survives a .357

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
Bobbylobby

Bobbylobby

Tonight You Belong to Me
Aug 16, 2023
I have a Glock handgun and 9 mm hollowpoints. However I've been reading that a shotgun is vastly preferred over a handgun. I have the means to buy a shotgun, but if a handgun will do the job just fine then I won't. Do you guys think it's worth it to buy a shotgun?
9mm hp should get the job done but I wouldn't risk it, buy a shotgun and make sure to use buckshot and not slugs, don't need you accidentally killing someone on your way out

L

lebrodude

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2022
You could always double down on this.

Shoot yourself on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea.

If the bullet doesn't kill you the fall and/or water will finish it for you.

• Love
Reactions: gore, rollingthunder, KochiBN and 2 others
K

KevG

Jan 4, 2022
So I have some real world information about the use of 9 mm handguns. My partner CTB with the use of a 9 mm handgun and a hollow point bullet. For what it's worth I will tell you what happened and what I saw. His passing is why I'm searching here for my planning to CTB when I'm ready. He was the most important person in my universe and I have never stopped loving him.

He hid the fact that he had a gun. We attended a therapy session the day before he CTB and the doctor asked him if he owned a gun. He lied and said no. I was in the room when he said this and looking back I should have know he was lying due to his attempt of a fake smile on his face when I knew emotion wise he felt completely without hope.

The next morning I woke up looking for him in a panic. I will save you the story of my emotional grief and daily pain.

He was found lying on his back in our yard. It was sunny out. When I fist saw him he was laying on the side of a hill with his head toward the top.

So here is the factual information without emotion. Again, he used a hollow point or hollow tipped 9 mm bullet. It appears from what I saw that he knew enough not to point the gun at his temple area. There are charts on this discussion board that show where parts of the brain are located. You should do your homework and look for this chart and further discussions of the areas of the brain. My partner was a details man and I'd bet he looked at charts on the internet to find where the brain is located to determine exactly where to point the gun. The damage area was above the temple and eyes, eye brows. Just above this area was a three to four inch wide hole from right to left across the entire forehead and into the hair line exposing the brain tissue. The hole was more of a trench. There is no way anyone would have survived what I saw. His trigger hand was laying by his side with his thumb and index finger clasped as if he was still pulling the trigger. The gun was not in his hand when I found him in this position. It was laying at his side. His facial expression and the clasping of the fingers makes me believe he died before he even heard the gun fire.

It is clear to me that a hollow point bullet has more than enough power to do significant damage. However, a regular 9 mm bullet should never be used. From everything I read it only pierces the skin and bone and does not break up to cause wide spread damage. Those who survive a 9 mm attempt appear to have used a regular 9 mm bullet.

Since my partners death I have purchased a similar 9 mm gun and hollow point bullets. This is one of many options I am considering to CTB. In the past I have asked members here about gun recoil as I have a fear of the gun firing and the bullet not coming out where I aimed resulting in the bullet not striking where it should. Small weak person here! I was informed that recoil does not happen until after the bullet leaves the gun. Therefore, the bullet should strike exactly where you aimed.

At one point this was my choice of CTB. However, now favoring the exit bag system as would rather just fall asleep forever.

Emotions back! It is difficult for me to write this information as I have many mixed feelings. Both about if I am honoring my partner and about you reading this. I never want to hurt any living thing! I wish I had something to write here instead that could give us all a reason to live a peaceful happy existence. Life, however, is not a fairytale. In looking back at my partners position in life towards the end I can see why he CTB. He tried everything he could to feel better but doctor after doctor failed him. No love from me or anyone else was enough to kill the devastating daily pain. In his final weeks and days he had a facial expression as if he was physically being tortured by some foreign government. He couldn't take it any more. To some degree I have made peace with his decision to end his life. He no longer feels daily pain. For that I am grateful. Now I hope to find the courage I need to be with him.

• Love
Reactions: trove1080p, Ontwon, rollingthunder and 1 other person
tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
Thank you so much for that. I know it is difficult. It seems to me that the shotgun approach is just too much. I believe that the placement of the bullet is important. A 9mm should be very effective and quick.

Reactions: KevG
tpboy

tpboy

No Karma Cafe
Aug 4, 2023
Mossberg-590-Shockwave-scaled.jpg

mossberg schockwave

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and KevG
Eudaimonic

Eudaimonic

I want to fade away.
Aug 11, 2023
You could always double down on this.

Shoot yourself on the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea.

If the bullet doesn't kill you the fall and/or water will finish it for you.
This is my plan if I decide to go with a firearm.

Reactions: tpboy and Kerrtu
IWishToDie

IWishToDie

I check notifications once per week
Dec 31, 2023
Handgun for sure. Hooked arm salute over the shoulder, rested above the ear. Straight through both hemispheres. No chance of blowing jaw off and surviving. Shotguns harder to pull trigger without flinching. I'd go for the hollows my guy. Best of luck.

Reactions: rollingthunder