• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
"Personally, I would not care for immortality in the least. There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled. We had it before we were born yet did not complain. Shall we whine because we know it will return? It is Elysium enough for me, at any rate." --H. P. Lovecraft

"...Nothing, some physicist implied, might be the ultimate symmetry, everywhere, everywhen the same... Mostly we knew what nothing was not. It was not anything. But it was the possibility of everything. And perhaps such beauty, nothing, was unstable. And the result was every once in an eternity it twitched." --Dennis Overbye

Soon4me

Soon4me

Enlightened
Jun 15, 2018
Sounds like interesting concept. What if level 2 will be worse than level 1 though? Can we restart back at level 1?

If you can copy yourself, then there is also possibility of running multiple instances of yourself simultaneously, might be interesting too.

I would also like access to my source code, so I can play and experiment with it.

All the possibilities :)
"What if level 2 will be worse than level 1 though?"
Not possible
"Can we restart back at level 1?"
You won't want to because level 2 will be so much better
"If you can copy yourself, then there is also possibility of running multiple instances of yourself simultaneously, might be interesting too."
Yes !
I would also like access to my source code, so I can play and experiment with it.
I'm not sure if it's open source

Reactions: Aponia & Ataraxia
I

ion900

Student
May 4, 2018
Consciousness is more of a mirage. I think we are all one. Individualized consciousness is a n experiement. There are some who are aware of the oneness and have accomplished great things because of it. There are some who play god. They have forgot what made them capable in the first place. Listening. Creating, or modifying something with life is the ultimate act of ignorance and self worship. There is only yin and yang.

Reactions: Fixin’ToDie
T

thesongbird

Jun 24, 2018
There is no evidence in a afterlife and no logical rational reason to believe one exists, stop comforting yourself with these thoughts, stop coming up with abstract illogical ideas like "I think we turn into what I seen in this movie!!XD!" there is NO EVIDENCE, therefore no reason to construct random conclusions. Humans will die just as humans have died, you are not special. The sooner you admit that to yourself the sooner you can construct more logical discussions.

Reactions: azeton
Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
Nobody knows what happens after death. The only plausible state humans can fathom is nothingness. But you definitely sound like an arrogant individual posting a link and believing that's the final say in a subject matter nobody has lived to talk about.

The purpose of that link was to make people actually THINK about what's our brain is about.

It's obvious that I would have needed to link a whole library if my purpose was to show all neural correlates and such.

But it was meant to be a first input about a clear subject: our consciousness didn't pop up from nothing, it is generated by specific areas of the brain that were also found in other animals such as reptilians.

Therefore, you'd have to postulate that these specific brain areas hold some kind of key to 'another world' where you can freely fluctuate in the air as a disembodied entity (how, without a physical substrate and neurochemicals to support what we previously were, alive?), plus allow into this kind of after-world all of the animals that share with us this biology.

Allowing the concept of 'afterlife' is not much different that saying that after our death, our digestive system will be able to generate nutrients from eating supernovas. It's nonsense

M0D

M0D

Jun 24, 2018
There is no evidence in a afterlife and no logical rational reason to believe one exists, stop comforting yourself with these thoughts, stop coming up with abstract illogical ideas like "I think we turn into what I seen in this movie!!XD!" there is NO EVIDENCE, therefore no reason to construct random conclusions. Humans will die just as humans have died, you are not special. The sooner you admit that to yourself the sooner you can construct more logical discussions.
thesongbird
Welcome to sanctionedsuicide.While Members are entitled to express their opinion please refrain from confrontational posts.
Thank You
MOD

Reactions: LookMomImFlying
LookMomImFlying

LookMomImFlying

Apr 23, 2018
The purpose of that link was to make people actually THINK about what's our brain is about.

It's obvious that I would have needed to link a whole library if my purpose was to show all neural correlates and such.

But it was meant to be a first input about a clear subject: our consciousness didn't pop up from nothing, it is generated by specific areas of the brain that were also found in other animals such as reptilians.

Therefore, you'd have to postulate that these specific brain areas hold some kind of key to 'another world' where you can freely fluctuate in the air as a disembodied entity (how, without a physical substrate and neurochemicals to support what we previously were, alive?), plus allow into this kind of after-world all of the animals that share with us this biology.

Allowing the concept of 'afterlife' is not much different that saying that after our death, our digestive system will be able to generate nutrients from eating supernovas. It's nonsense

Ok all fair enough, except for your last sentence that strikes me as reaching sarcasm. You're right, our consciousness didn't pop up from nothing. When that sperm and egg came together, part of embryonic development (I'd assume one of the very first parts) is building the brain, which is essentially an organic computer that interprets electrical signals. Human reality is simply how the brain interprets those electrical signals that came together to form every individual person on Earth.

I view our births similar to how a hurricane forms. All of the specific atmospheric conditions (warm water, evaporating sea water, etc.) must exist to form this great and powerful phenomenon. There was/is some combination of free-floating electrical impulses that my brain captured and knew the coding system to interpret as my human mind and consciousness; same for all others. When we stop breathing (die), those electrical impulses are still present, but the computer that interprets them is no longer operational.

Despite all the research and studies done on the human brain, there is still one very curious aspect that scientists to this day cannot explain in layman terms or fancy scientific terms: dreams. I used to even have lucid dreams when I was a kid; dreams where I was aware I was dreaming and controlling the happenings therein. Our dreams feel just as real as so-called reality, yet nobody can explain what they are. Dreams, in my opinion, provide the best glimpse into explaining what humans really are: computer simulations and potentially an explanation of our metaphysical state when the brain dies.

Regardless, as I've stated, I have no idea what happens after death. I hope its nothing, but I cannot dismiss some sort of continuation of consciousness ("afterlife") as a possibility. We simply do not know. People fear the unknown and that's why death is so scary. But I personally believe there is nothing worse than this life, so whatever death is, I'll be cool with it.

Reactions: Strumgewehr
Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
Dreams, in my opinion, provide the best glimpse into explaining what humans really are: computer simulations

...excuse me?
Dreams are associated to a drop in frequency activity in a specific region of the brain (the visual posterior cortical area, that includes -not surprisingly- sensory and visual areas. "Computers" is a proper term only if you assume that the brain is a computer, which broadly speaking is right since it processes inputs and outputs.

But I personally believe there is nothing worse than this life

Well, I'm kind of a pessimist, but knowing that there's no afterlife, at least the end is satisfying

Reactions: Tiburcio
S

Strumgewehr

Experienced
Jun 7, 2018
but I cannot dismiss some sort of continuation of consciousness ("afterlife") as a possibility.
If you go to observe how miserable l
...excuse me?
Dreams are associated to a drop in frequency activity in a specific region of the brain (the visual posterior cortical area, that includes -not surprisingly- sensory and visual areas. "Computers" is a proper term only if you assume that the brain is a computer, which broadly speaking is right since it processes inputs and outputs.

Well, I'm kind of a pessimist, but knowing that there's no afterlife, at least the end is satisfying

Can't tell about satisfaction, but it is less boring for sure.

D

Deleted member 847

Ok all fair enough, except for your last sentence that strikes me as reaching sarcasm. You're right, our consciousness didn't pop up from nothing. When that sperm and egg came together, part of embryonic development (I'd assume one of the very first parts) is building the brain, which is essentially an organic computer that interprets electrical signals. Human reality is simply how the brain interprets those electrical signals that came together to form every individual person on Earth.

I view our births similar to how a hurricane forms. All of the specific atmospheric conditions (warm water, evaporating sea water, etc.) must exist to form this great and powerful phenomenon. There was/is some combination of free-floating electrical impulses that my brain captured and knew the coding system to interpret as my human mind and consciousness; same for all others. When we stop breathing (die), those electrical impulses are still present, but the computer that interprets them is no longer operational.

Despite all the research and studies done on the human brain, there is still one very curious aspect that scientists to this day cannot explain in layman terms or fancy scientific terms: dreams. I used to even have lucid dreams when I was a kid; dreams where I was aware I was dreaming and controlling the happenings therein. Our dreams feel just as real as so-called reality, yet nobody can explain what they are. Dreams, in my opinion, provide the best glimpse into explaining what humans really are: computer simulations and potentially an explanation of our metaphysical state when the brain dies.

Regardless, as I've stated, I have no idea what happens after death. I hope its nothing, but I cannot dismiss some sort of continuation of consciousness ("afterlife") as a possibility. We simply do not know. People fear the unknown and that's why death is so scary. But I personally believe there is nothing worse than this life, so whatever death is, I'll be cool with it.

What do you think about this NDE case? I, too, believe that we are probably just bio-robots (not 100% convinced though) but I'm interested to find the truth, even if the truth might be counterintuitive. http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/Articles/barbara_blind.htm

Reactions: LookMomImFlying
D

Deleted member 847

Imagine if the afterlife is in a higher dimension.. it would be pretty much impossible to measure if you're a 3 dimensional being.

Exactly. We trying to prove an after life would be like 2D people trying to prove with their scientific instruments that can only measure 2D phenomena our world.

S

Strumgewehr

Experienced
Jun 7, 2018
I kind of sense there's a continuity of consciousness in some form or another. Now if (and I do mean if) consciousness is synonymous with suffering, then death seems not the ultimate escape from whatever living hell that makes us yearn for it. A scary thought I try not to dwell on.
Scary indeed.

S

Strumgewehr

Experienced
Jun 7, 2018
Time and space isn't infinite though. It all started with the big bang and it's gonna end in the big freeze probably. Means, everything in the universe will cool down and every sun will turn out, until it's all cold, black and dark with no life anymore. The universe is nothing more than a sandbox. Whoever created this, didn't design it for eternity. And I doubt there is a creator, exactly for that reason. And I have no reason to assume that there would be an afterlife either.

Personally, I hope there is none. I want my existence to end forever when I ctb. I seek never ending darkness and nothingness, exactly the state I was in before I was born.

But that does not mean another universe can't start again once one dies out. The multiverse theory.

LookMomImFlying

LookMomImFlying

Apr 23, 2018
I kind of sense there's a continuity of consciousness in some form or another. Now if (and I do mean if) consciousness is synonymous with suffering, then death seems not the ultimate escape from whatever living hell that makes us yearn for it. A scary thought I try not to dwell on.

Why must you post creepy ass shit like this? :) If this phenomenon exists, I assume our current memories are wiped at death and we have been through this before, potentially many, many times.

LookMomImFlying

LookMomImFlying

Apr 23, 2018
What do you think about this NDE case? I, too, believe that we are probably just bio-robots (not 100% convinced though) but I'm interested to find the truth, even if the truth might be counterintuitive. http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/Articles/barbara_blind.htm

First, I wish whoever wrote this defined NDE and OBE within the text of the study so I didn't have to make the extra effort. Second, this is very interesting.

For the TL;DR crowd, people who were congenitally (born) blind and had never seen anything, including light, in their entire lives, reported seeing lights and other stuff during their near-death experiences. I never really believed stories of people who weren't blind who said they saw light or whatever when they were declared clinically dead and then came back to life. They could have just been imagining and recalling things. But if someone born blind and never had any basis of comparison to describe what they say was light, tells me that there really may in fact be some continuation on consciousness. Again, our brain is just an organic computer and our organs, specifically the eyes, are the input components for visualization; like a keyboard. Once these blind individuals almost died and their "consciousness" was free of their bodies, somehow they saw something.

Anyway, I'm probably rambling. But this is interesting indeed.

Tiredman

Tiredman

Rest is best
Apr 30, 2018
If the brain is like a computer maybe the afterlife is like the internet. Once the computer dies theres still a web foot print of what you did. Some people have internet and some don't but all of them can be connected to it. Your 'soul' or personality could be like your browser history (lol mine would be pretty kinky).

Last edited:
Reactions: daemonblight
D

Delilah

Jun 14, 2018
I didn't exist for billions of years prior to being born, and I won't exist for billions of years after I die.

Reactions: azeton
Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
Exactly. We trying to prove an after life would be like 2D people trying to prove with their scientific instruments that can only measure 2D phenomena our world.

One of the main variations of the M-Theory implies 26 dimensions-- that can be studied even though we experience mostly a 3D reality.
Many more could come, but it would be more a matter of coherence and cohesion of the 'supporting network' that allows yourself to exist without a brain more than infinitesimality of "dimensions", to actually make a point.
Then there would be a lot of other tecnhicalities left to finely tune - the role of neurotransmitters in the genesis of thoughts, and the exact replication of the connectome to make sure you'd still be "yourself" in this supposed afterlife, but it's just extreme speculation since everything would behave very differently in other sub-dimensions (forces of gravity and electromagnetism in the first place), to the point you would basically not be yourself anymore.

This is of course extreme speculation, and it has no more significance to it than saying that "oh, today I used a new peach shampoo, therefore a peach tree must blossom in my garden in the next 24 hours". Which is the same probability of the existence of the 'afterlife', in whatever form somebody might fabricate it.