• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

noalarms

noalarms

Jun 18, 2022
If you're not familiar with the method, all that is required is that you hyperventilate for 5-15 minutes and then submerge yourself in water while holding your breath. After 3-5 minutes you will pass out, and 5-7 minutes later you will be dead. If you are not rescued within this time window, you will die. The method works by supressing the urge to breath through hyperventilation and the lowering of CO2 in the blood. It is described in detail here.

In my opinion this is the most overlooked method that has been discussed so far on the forum. We can compare it to other methods by plugging it into Exit's Reliability, Peacefulness and Availability test. (RPA)

Peacefulness: 9/10

Survivers of accidental shallow-water drownings often report feeling a euphoric sensation which encouraged them to continue holding their breath. It is very different from regular drowning, as you ar not conscious while dying. It is clearly far more peaceful than other popular methods that are regularly discussed.on the forum, including hanging, jumping and even SN. The only reasons it scores a 9 instead of a 10 is that it requires submergence, which may be uncomfortable for some people. The bodies of victims are typically found in the position in which they began their breath hold; this suggests that your are unlikely to experience pain or stress while unconscious.

Availability: 10/10

It requires no equipment; although a weight belt might make it easier to remain beneath the surface, most people who accidentaly drown were not found with weights attached to their bodies. Other than a weight belt, which is readily available, you will not have to spend anything on this method. In this regard it is superior to any method that involves drugs, inert gases, CO or lethal salts, which all require you to spend hours of time and hundreds of dollars ordering equipment (testing kits, potentiates and anti-emetics for salts and drugs; regulators, hoses, and gas cylinders for inert gas; charcoal, chimney starters and grill for CO). Complex methods like these may appeal to some due to their peacefulness, but in my opinion shallow-water black is just as peaceful as any of them. The other downside of equipment-heavy methods is that they involve others in your death: to purchase certain gases you will have to lie to suppliers about your intentions, and any methods invovling prescription medication that cannot be ordered online will entail lying to doctors.

Preparation and administration: 3/5

This method requires you to hyperventilate before submerging and holding your breath for several minutes. To hyperventilate successfully, you should breathe as deeply and rapidly as possible. The time needed to spend hyperventilating will depend on each person, and can be easily established by experimenting on a couch or bed to prevent any injury after loss of consciousness. It is at this point that many get frustrated with this method, as it can be very time consuming. You may be required to hyperventilate for over ten minutes to hold your breath for long enough to lose consciousness. You will succeed eventually, but it may take some time. For the breath hold, unless you are in tip-top shape, holding your breath for more than four minutes should suffice to make you pass out.

Detectability:

This measures the probability that your death will be ruled a suicide. If you would like to spare your friends and family from the knowledge that you ended your life, this method is preferrable to most that appear in the Suicide Resources. There are several reasons for this: firstly, the method does not involve equipment such as a rope, gas cylinder or charcoal grill whose presence near or on the body would indicate a deliberate death, making it superior to hanging, inert gas and CO; secondly, the method does not require ingesting any substance that might appear in an autopsy; finally, the method, if done correctly leaves the body in a state indistinguishable from that of an accidental drowning, which will be assumed to be the most likely cause of death by a coroner. It goes without saying that if your family or friends are aware of your struggles, they will presume that your death was intentional, but your death will still be officialy recorded as an accident. There is also the option of catching the bus in a secluded area and using weights to weigh down your body so that it is not discovered and that you 'disappear.'

To make your death look like an accident to your family would require a lot of work, but it is in theory possible, as long has you have a reason for submerging yourself for extended periods of time; one of the victims listed on the Shallow-water blackout victims page took regular baths due to back pain and died while experimenting with the Wim Hof breathing method. It might be an idea to get in the habit of taking regular baths and discussing the Wim Hof method, so that when you ctb, your family's default assumption will be that your death was an accident. Finally, even though many shallow-water blackout accidents happen in public swimming pools, these are not ideal locations for this method, as there is the possibility of you being quickly rescued and given CPR or resuscitated with a defibrillator.

The final four criteria are speed, safety to others, storage, and legality. The method scores 5/5 in each of these categories:

It kills within 15 minutes of you beginning your breath hold. There have been several reports of people dying in public pools with lifeguards in attendance; that is how silent and speedy this method can be.

The method poses no threat to others, as it can be attempted in very shallow water. Even if it you attempt in deep water, the person who tries to rescue you or recover your body will most likely be an experienced swimmer if done in a public place. It goes without saying that you should not attempt this method in deep water if you are confident that your friends or family are (a) likely to discover your body and (b) incompetent swimmers.

This method obviously does not involve storing large or perishable items, or anything that would give others a reason to think you plan to kill yourself.

This method is completely legal, as long as it is not performed in a way that could endanger others as described above.

Reliability (?)

Some will have noticed that one measurement has been left out: the R in RPA stands for reliability, and I have not given it a score. My reason for doing this is that there have been no goodbye threads indicating the success of this method on the forum. This might suggest a low rating for reliability, but I am inclined to disagree for several reasons: Firstly, the method has not been researched. Most popular peaceful methods that are discussed on this forum have been researched by assisted suicide organisations that have confirmed the reliability of these methods. Obviously, organisations like Exit International have no interest in researching a method like shallow water blackout, as it has no appeal to their eldery and terminally ill patients. The absence of research into the reliability of this method makes it impossible to formally estimate its reliability. Secondly, the discussions of this method on the forum have often been poor, recommending excercise as an alternative or supplement to hyperventilation, which would results in the method failing as exercise raises the level of CO2 in the blood, which triggers a breath.

Final thoughts

Finally I would like to clear up some common misconceptions about this method that lead people to dismiss it. People often assume this method is as painful as regular drowning since it is performed in water. The testimonties of witnesses and survivors contradict this. This is how one survivor described it 'All I recall is swimming underwater, none of the blackout, or anything else for the next two and half days.' The other survivor testimonies linked above are similar in their descriptions of blacking out. The other most common misconception is a high level of physical fitness is required to perform this method. Although it is true that the typical shallow-water blackout victim is an experienced swimmer or diver, this is due to the fact that swimmer and divers are the people most likely to attempt to hold their breaths for long periods of time. There are testimonies of children as young as 12 and 13 dying as a result of this method, so a high level of physical fitness, although helpful, is not a requirement.

The point of this post was to express my surprise at the lack of attention this method has received. I think I have made the case that this method, it it can be shown to be reliable, is preferrable to most methods that have been discussed on the forum. Most methods have one of two flaws: they are either extremely painful (jumping, full suspension hanging, overdosing on household products or OTC medications) or are expensive and require extensive preparation (CO poisoning, inert gas, N, and, increasingly, SN). The second category is essentially off-limits for anyone who lives with close friends or relatives and cannot store equipment or or have it delivered without raising suspicions. Shallow-water blackout has neither of these flaws, and is thus a method that deserves more attention.

If you have any thoughts, please leave them in the replies.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
Thank you for sharing this information. This thread is really useful. I've always thought about drowning as a potential method even know it sounds difficult because of the survival instinct, but I didn't know much about shallow water blackout specifically. It's always an option to leave this world.

noalarms

noalarms

Jun 18, 2022
Thank you for sharing this information. This thread is really useful. I've always thought about drowning as a potential method even know it sounds difficult because of the survival instinct, but I didn't know much about shallow water blackout specifically. It's always an option to leave this world.
Glad you found it useful.

S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
I've been thinking about this all day. I'm tickled at being able to hold my breath longer the more I hyperventilate beforehand. The body is so weird... And its survival mechanisms make me unbelievably angry, but that's for another thread.

Some site says that permanent brain damage can occur at 4 minutes without oxygen, so what if I'm still conscious and holding my breath past that point? What if I get the urge to breathe at 4:30 and I haven't passed out? I'm assuming I'll pop up out of the tub and breathe... But have I given myself brain damage in the process?

These are rhetorical questions. Not really expecting any answers. They're just things I have to work out in my head. Like is that scenario possible/plausible and is the risk worth it.

I'd love to die alone in my home, in peace. I don't have to worry about anyone looking for me or finding me except the bank when I stop paying the house note.

I'm not the kind of person people check on.

A part of me feels like because my life has been so traumatic/tragic, it's only fitting that my death be traumatic and tragic as well. I think a part of me knows that I won't die in peace.

It'll be ugly and painful and prolonged. Just like my life.

chaosandquiet

chaosandquiet

Sep 27, 2022
I've thought about taking SN in the bathtub, since the protocol is likely to cause a seizure for me. The only drawback is that I hate being in the water, even baths, so I wouldn't find it particularly peaceful. Still, something to consider.

noalarms

noalarms

Jun 18, 2022
Some site says that permanent brain damage can occur at 4 minutes without oxygen, so what if I'm still conscious and holding my breath past that point? What if I get the urge to breathe at 4:30 and I haven't passed out? I'm assuming I'll pop up out of the tub and breathe... But have I given myself brain damage in the process?

I hadn't considered this. I'd say it's pretty unlikely though.

You will probably pass out long before experiencing severe brain damage.

If you feel the urge to breath at 4:30, just remember that you will likely pass out within seconds. If you inhale under the water, you will feel water enter your lungs. This has never happened to me, so I can't say for sure how painful it will be, but your airway will constrict immediately after inhaling a small amount of water, and you will continue to experience hypoxia. Then you will pass out.

I have been experimenting with this method over the past few days, and what I've realised is that it's nearly impossible to hold your breath for long enough to pass out without experiencing the overpowering urge to breath. I have not managed to hold my breath for longer than 3:30, and the last minute of the breath hold is very difficult.

It's possible that hyperventilation could be combined with regular drowning make the process less painful, but I think it would still be very painful.

A part of me feels like because my life has been so traumatic/tragic, it's only fitting that my death be traumatic and tragic as well. I think a part of me knows that I won't die in peace.

It'll be ugly and painful and prolonged.

I have had the same feeling. I think I will end up using a violent method when my search for a peaceful method ends up being futile.

Sometimes I think the search for a peaceful method is just SI manifesting itself.

I could be dead today if I wanted to, but I'm scared of the pain I will feel.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksp and SamTam33
looseye

looseye

A boring person.
Oct 27, 2021
I love to go diving in shallow water without any equipment and came close to passing out from it multiple times in the past. I have a hard time imagining that you could ctb on purpose using this method, though. When you're just enjoying yourself, what happens is that you get weaker and weaker but keep going nonetheless because you're having such a good time that you completely blur out any physiological warning signs that would usually make you get out of the water. Not sure how far you would come before SI kicks in if your sole intention was to kill yourself that way.

snowman626

snowman626

Mage
Jan 28, 2019
My reason for doing this is that there have been no goodbye threads indicating the success of this method on the forum. This might suggest a low rating for reliability, but I am inclined to disagree for several reasons: Firstly, the method has not been researched. Most popular peaceful methods that are discussed on this forum have been researched by assisted suicide organisations that have confirmed the reliability of these methods. Obviously, organisations like Exit International have no interest in researching a method like shallow water blackout

the method sounds good in theory but i dont wanna CTB on a method with only an idea of what would actually happen. if failure and rescue means possibility of life as a vegetable then a lot is riding on the sucess of the method. if i were to attempt this method i would do it some place where i wouldnt be found indefinitely, such as a pond deep in the wilderness.

Utada

Utada

Me Muero
Dec 15, 2022
Heyy, what if I did this by hugging a pillow with my face directly on it, instead of underwater? I once fell asleep while hugging a pillow like that, and had to try hard to wake myself up as I could feel the pain of not being able to breathe.

Sorry for the necro, I just really never saw anybody talk about this.

yuzuchan

yuzuchan

Sep 9, 2022
I tried shallow water blackout when I first joined the site but not matter how much I tried to hyperventalte before hand my need to breath and survival instinct still kept kicking in I only assume I was doing it wrong somehow

edit: Didn't realise i was commenting on a dead thread mb

YuckyDucky

YuckyDucky

Dec 10, 2021
If you're conscious, your brain still has oxygen so the 4 minutes hasn't come into play yet. That 4 minute timer for brain damage starts when you pass out, because that's the point where your brain is actually deprived of oxygen. When you last took a breath is irrelevant. Hypothetically, if you could hold your breath for an hour without passing out, you would be perfectly normal afterward (or as normal as before) if you came up and started breathing again. Obviously nobody can hold their breath for an hour, but the point remains valid. You would be completely unharmed physically in the scenario you described. Certainly disappointing considering the goal, but a relief that this type of failure at least won't make your situation worse.

BumperCrop

BumperCrop

Feb 2, 2020
Trying this will expose you to the high risk of being a vegetable forever. This is not safe

Reactions: anguila_anguila
M

my-end

Leaving not grieving
Dec 19, 2022
Trying this will expose you to the high risk of being a vegetable forever. This is not safe
As with any method it should be carefully planned and executed. Ensuring not being found or being exposed to air to breathe will increase likelihood of success. There are risks with any method. We are here to learn what will work for each of us.

Reactions: ksp
anguila_anguila

anguila_anguila

Feb 27, 2023
"easy" - umm no, it isn't
You have to train to do breathholding for any length of time (longer than about a minute). Once you get past that point, then the urge to breath starts - this isn't just something in your mind, your diaphragm starts doing intermittent contractions to try to force you to breathe.
And this is why people spend time training to freedive, to ignore those contractions and continue holding your breath. If you keep holding for long enough, eventually you lose the urge to breath while the oxygen depletes, so you can black out. This is also made more likely if you descend to depth and reascend.
Someone without training is not likely to succeed in the same way, because they will get one, maybe more contractions, then panic, try to get back to the surface and try to breathe underwater. So it would really not be as pleasant, nor as easy as the post tried to make it sound.

Reactions: Maeve and ranaway
TimetoGo!

TimetoGo!

Mage
Aug 30, 2022
If you're not familiar with the method, all that is required is that you hyperventilate for 5-15 minutes and then submerge yourself in water while holding your breath. After 3-5 minutes you will pass out, and 5-7 minutes later you will be dead. If you are not rescued within this time window, you will die. The method works by supressing the urge to breath through hyperventilation and the lowering of CO2 in the blood. It is described in detail here.

In my opinion this is the most overlooked method that has been discussed so far on the forum. We can compare it to other methods by plugging it into Exit's Reliability, Peacefulness and Availability test. (RPA)

Peacefulness: 9/10

Survivers of accidental shallow-water drownings often report feeling a euphoric sensation which encouraged them to continue holding their breath. It is very different from regular drowning, as you ar not conscious while dying. It is clearly far more peaceful than other popular methods that are regularly discussed.on the forum, including hanging, jumping and even SN. The only reasons it scores a 9 instead of a 10 is that it requires submergence, which may be uncomfortable for some people. The bodies of victims are typically found in the position in which they began their breath hold; this suggests that your are unlikely to experience pain or stress while unconscious.

Availability: 10/10

It requires no equipment; although a weight belt might make it easier to remain beneath the surface, most people who accidentaly drown were not found with weights attached to their bodies. Other than a weight belt, which is readily available, you will not have to spend anything on this method. In this regard it is superior to any method that involves drugs, inert gases, CO or lethal salts, which all require you to spend hours of time and hundreds of dollars ordering equipment (testing kits, potentiates and anti-emetics for salts and drugs; regulators, hoses, and gas cylinders for inert gas; charcoal, chimney starters and grill for CO). Complex methods like these may appeal to some due to their peacefulness, but in my opinion shallow-water black is just as peaceful as any of them. The other downside of equipment-heavy methods is that they involve others in your death: to purchase certain gases you will have to lie to suppliers about your intentions, and any methods invovling prescription medication that cannot be ordered online will entail lying to doctors.

Preparation and administration: 3/5

This method requires you to hyperventilate before submerging and holding your breath for several minutes. To hyperventilate successfully, you should breathe as deeply and rapidly as possible. The time needed to spend hyperventilating will depend on each person, and can be easily established by experimenting on a couch or bed to prevent any injury after loss of consciousness. It is at this point that many get frustrated with this method, as it can be very time consuming. You may be required to hyperventilate for over ten minutes to hold your breath for long enough to lose consciousness. You will succeed eventually, but it may take some time. For the breath hold, unless you are in tip-top shape, holding your breath for more than four minutes should suffice to make you pass out.

Detectability:

This measures the probability that your death will be ruled a suicide. If you would like to spare your friends and family from the knowledge that you ended your life, this method is preferrable to most that appear in the Suicide Resources. There are several reasons for this: firstly, the method does not involve equipment such as a rope, gas cylinder or charcoal grill whose presence near or on the body would indicate a deliberate death, making it superior to hanging, inert gas and CO; secondly, the method does not require ingesting any substance that might appear in an autopsy; finally, the method, if done correctly leaves the body in a state indistinguishable from that of an accidental drowning, which will be assumed to be the most likely cause of death by a coroner. It goes without saying that if your family or friends are aware of your struggles, they will presume that your death was intentional, but your death will still be officialy recorded as an accident. There is also the option of catching the bus in a secluded area and using weights to weigh down your body so that it is not discovered and that you 'disappear.'

To make your death look like an accident to your family would require a lot of work, but it is in theory possible, as long has you have a reason for submerging yourself for extended periods of time; one of the victims listed on the Shallow-water blackout victims page took regular baths due to back pain and died while experimenting with the Wim Hof breathing method. It might be an idea to get in the habit of taking regular baths and discussing the Wim Hof method, so that when you ctb, your family's default assumption will be that your death was an accident. Finally, even though many shallow-water blackout accidents happen in public swimming pools, these are not ideal locations for this method, as there is the possibility of you being quickly rescued and given CPR or resuscitated with a defibrillator.

The final four criteria are speed, safety to others, storage, and legality. The method scores 5/5 in each of these categories:

It kills within 15 minutes of you beginning your breath hold. There have been several reports of people dying in public pools with lifeguards in attendance; that is how silent and speedy this method can be.

The method poses no threat to others, as it can be attempted in very shallow water. Even if it you attempt in deep water, the person who tries to rescue you or recover your body will most likely be an experienced swimmer if done in a public place. It goes without saying that you should not attempt this method in deep water if you are confident that your friends or family are (a) likely to discover your body and (b) incompetent swimmers.

This method obviously does not involve storing large or perishable items, or anything that would give others a reason to think you plan to kill yourself.

This method is completely legal, as long as it is not performed in a way that could endanger others as described above.

Reliability (?)

Some will have noticed that one measurement has been left out: the R in RPA stands for reliability, and I have not given it a score. My reason for doing this is that there have been no goodbye threads indicating the success of this method on the forum. This might suggest a low rating for reliability, but I am inclined to disagree for several reasons: Firstly, the method has not been researched. Most popular peaceful methods that are discussed on this forum have been researched by assisted suicide organisations that have confirmed the reliability of these methods. Obviously, organisations like Exit International have no interest in researching a method like shallow water blackout, as it has no appeal to their eldery and terminally ill patients. The absence of research into the reliability of this method makes it impossible to formally estimate its reliability. Secondly, the discussions of this method on the forum have often been poor, recommending excercise as an alternative or supplement to hyperventilation, which would results in the method failing as exercise raises the level of CO2 in the blood, which triggers a breath.

Final thoughts

Finally I would like to clear up some common misconceptions about this method that lead people to dismiss it. People often assume this method is as painful as regular drowning since it is performed in water. The testimonties of witnesses and survivors contradict this. This is how one survivor described it 'All I recall is swimming underwater, none of the blackout, or anything else for the next two and half days.' The other survivor testimonies linked above are similar in their descriptions of blacking out. The other most common misconception is a high level of physical fitness is required to perform this method. Although it is true that the typical shallow-water blackout victim is an experienced swimmer or diver, this is due to the fact that swimmer and divers are the people most likely to attempt to hold their breaths for long periods of time. There are testimonies of children as young as 12 and 13 dying as a result of this method, so a high level of physical fitness, although helpful, is not a requirement.

The point of this post was to express my surprise at the lack of attention this method has received. I think I have made the case that this method, it it can be shown to be reliable, is preferrable to most methods that have been discussed on the forum. Most methods have one of two flaws: they are either extremely painful (jumping, full suspension hanging, overdosing on household products or OTC medications) or are expensive and require extensive preparation (CO poisoning, inert gas, N, and, increasingly, SN). The second category is essentially off-limits for anyone who lives with close friends or relatives and cannot store equipment or or have it delivered without raising suspicions. Shallow-water blackout has neither of these flaws, and is thus a method that deserves more attention.

If you have any thoughts, please leave them in the replies.
may try this right now

D

dancesponge

Apr 18, 2023
I hadn't considered this. I'd say it's pretty unlikely though.

You will probably pass out long before experiencing severe brain damage.

If you feel the urge to breath at 4:30, just remember that you will likely pass out within seconds. If you inhale under the water, you will feel water enter your lungs. This has never happened to me, so I can't say for sure how painful it will be, but your airway will constrict immediately after inhaling a small amount of water, and you will continue to experience hypoxia. Then you will pass out.

I have been experimenting with this method over the past few days, and what I've realised is that it's nearly impossible to hold your breath for long enough to pass out without experiencing the overpowering urge to breath. I have not managed to hold my breath for longer than 3:30, and the last minute of the breath hold is very difficult.

It's possible that hyperventilation could be combined with regular drowning make the process less painful, but I think it would still be very painful.

I have had the same feeling. I think I will end up using a violent method when my search for a peaceful method ends up being futile.

Sometimes I think the search for a peaceful method is just SI manifesting itself.

I could be dead today if I wanted to, but I'm scared of the pain I will feel.
I don't understand if this post means you/he gave up on the method.

The initial post is very detailed, reasoned, convincing, and I imagine that if you/he gave up on the method you/he would have edited or replied to your/his own post...

lonely man

lonely man

Its painful to live.
Apr 19, 2023
hello. i do not have a bath tub or an access to pool, it is tough to go outdoors and do this undetected. can i hyperventilate and put my head in large bucket of water? would there be any convulsions or seizures that could knock the bucket out. ?

Reactions: Install-Gentoo
Install-Gentoo

Install-Gentoo

Aug 23, 2022
I'm very interested in this topic, for many reasons. Also especially interested in what lonely man said

headcase95

headcase95

abject failure
Apr 17, 2023
I tried this. Didn't work for me. It's hard to hold your breath for long enough for it to work.

• Aww..
Reactions: Install-Gentoo
lonely man

lonely man

Its painful to live.
Apr 19, 2023
i am thinking about getting in to a drum of water after hyperventilating and play that game of holding breath for longer periods, hopefully i will fall unconscious and ctb.
only option i got is SWB. partial hanging is scary because i cannot find my carotid on left side, my neck muscles are little bit asymmetric. when i hold my right side. i only get dizzy but am not passing out.

Reactions: Grayfield
A

anonymousanguish

Oct 3, 2022
I posted a potential method that would kill you the same way that SWB does, but by using nitrous oxide to pass out and an airtight seal around your mouth and nose. I'd appreciate any feedback/criticism on it if anyone is interested in taking a look. It would require spending money (I think at most ~$200), but it might be helpful for those that don't have access to a bathtub/pool, have trouble holding their breath long enough or don't want to submerge themselves in water.

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...ughing-gas-inert-gas-method-variation.118889/

Thanks

Rumi

Rumi

Experienced
Mar 29, 2023
I don't understand if this post means you/he gave up on the method.

The initial post is very detailed, reasoned, convincing, and I imagine that if you/he gave up on the method you/he would have edited or replied to your/his own post...
Yeah, I did give up on the method, but I no longer have access to that account.

Most of the info in the OP is good, but it leaves out that physical fitness is indeed a requirement for this method to work.

B

bolognajuice

Jun 10, 2023
How the hell do I hyperventilate.... I've been trying to that shit for like 2 days now

Reactions: Maeve