• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm used to self-medicating. I used to self-medicate with poppy pod tea and kratom, but they only had temporary effects on me, made me foggy, interfered with my regular medication, and almost made me addicted. Instead I started experimenting with so-called herbal highs and they have worked wonders for me. It sounds like a monumental exaggeration but without them I would be consumed by anxiety and depression and end it all immediately. Herbal highs are de facto narcotic, but much weaker than scheduled drugs. They are legal in all or almost all countries in the world, natural, not addictive, easy to find on eBay and in other places, and in most cases inexpensive. Most of them don't make you as foggy and lethargic as scheduled drugs do. Many of them also have other health effects, but I won't discuss them here as they are difficult to measure and often are contested.

This is not some New Age shit or placebo. Many herbal highs have been subject to medical studies which show that they really have effect. In fact, there are plans to extract the active substances from some of them and turn them into medicines. These herbal highs have helped me and many others suffering from anxiety, depression, and bipolarity so maybe they will help you too. However, they certainly don't work for everyone and they won't solve your problems, but they might reduce or neutralise your anxiety and depression and make your everyday life easier. Again, they are in most cases inexpensive, so it won't cost you much to try them out if you find the idea interesting.

A couple of warnings. When I talked about this with a psychiatrist, he didn't raise any objections. In fact, he basically encouraged it. However, this doesn't mean that these herbs won't interact with your medication, although the risk is probably smaller than with stronger drugs such as opioids and benzodiazepines. Also, notice that few if any of these herbs have been allergy tested. It's a good idea to make a test with a small sample before taking a full dose. Even if you don't fear death, there are better ways to die than of anaphylactic shock. Finally, the long-term effects of these herbs are not known, but that's maybe of minor importance if you plan to leave for good.

If you know of any other good herbs feel free to share. The more options to choose between, the better.

Damiana (Turnera diffusa): If you want to test herbs this is the best one to start with, in my opinion. Damiana is a mild sedative which has surprisingly good anxiolytic and antidepressant effects on many people, including me. This herb literally keeps me alive, because I don't get any suicidal impulses while on damiana. I never get high on damiana, although it's possible at high doses – I just feel wonderfully normal. For me, the effects usually last a working day or longer, i.e. at least eight hours. You can drive and go to work on damiana without any problems, unless taken in very high doses. For better or worse, it's also a surprisingly strong aphrodisiac. It's claimed that damiana has a reverse tolerance, i.e. if you use it for a long time you need lower doses, and it might actually be true. It's usually brewed as a tea, but it can also be smoked with shorter, mildly euphoric effects. I usually bring a bottle of damiana tea to work.

Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum): First of all, it should be mentioned that kanna is said to basically be an SSRI and that there are people who use kanna instead of SSRI's. It's not clear if kanna and SSRI's interact and if so, how. That said, this is a mild stimulant which lifts the mood, and it could perhaps be described as very weak cocaine. For me, the effects last a few hours, and I need to "refill" during the day. As with damiana, you can drive and go to work on kanna without any problems, unless taken in very high doses, because then it becomes sedating for many people. It's usually made into an extract and ingested, but it can also be smoked with more sedative effects or snorted with faster, but shorter effects. A word of warning: it's really painful to snort kanna the first times. I usually ingest it, but sometimes I snort it when I need to lift my mood quickly.

Damiana + Kanna: Damiana and kanna in combination have a very good effect on many people, including yours truly. This is the basis of my self-medication. It makes me feel perfectly normal and it's fantastic really. I've used it on an almost daily basis for about four months now and I've only had to increase the doses of kanna slightly due to developing tolerance. Highly recommended.

Wild dagga (Leonotis leonurus): Wild dagga is a sedative, but it has weaker effects than damiana, at least for me. However, many people hold it in high regard, so I thought I should include it. It's ingested either as an extract, probably the most common method, or as a tea, with calming and relaxing effects. Reportedly, it can also be smoked with mood enhancement and mild euphoria as effects. Some people even compare it to marijuana, but I don't know how accurate that is. I've bought small amounts of Wild dagga and use it infrequently so to not use damiana all the time and develop tolerance.

Wild dagga + Kanna: This combination is also held in high regard by many people, but it doesn't do much for me personally. However, I should point out that I've only tried weak doses. I suspect that when it works, it resembles the combination of damiana and kanna, but that's just a guess.

Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata): Passionflower has a mildly anxiolytic effect, but it's not as effective as damiana, at least not for me. Many people, including me, find it to be a very good sleeping aid, though. In my experience, the effects don't last long, so you have to go to bed soon after you have taken it. It makes me a little bit foggy, so I avoid driving until the effects have passed. Passionflower is as far as I know always brewed as a tea.

Ephedra (Ephedra sinica): First a word of warning. Ephedra is a strong stimulant which should be handled with care. At high doses and/or in combination with other stimulants such as caffeine, there may be very unpleasant adverse effects such as anxiety, vomiting, and seizures, and in the worst-case scenario cardiac arrest or stroke. It's also a strong dietary supplement, which may have negative health effects if not used in moderation. For these reasons, it's illegal to use ephedra in supplements in some countries, but it's as far as I know not illegal to buy ephedra in any countries. That said, it's well documented that ephedra increases physical energy, strength, and stamina. I've taken ephedra in low doses before going to the gym, and I can confirm that it really has a good effect. If you suffer from depression and feel listless and feeble, this might be worth considering, but again, be careful.

Passionflower + Ephedra: This combination has unexpected effects. It's relaxing and euphoric, actually resembling opioids to some degree. The euphoric effects last less than an hour, but the relaxing effects last a couple of hours or more, at least for me. It doesn't exactly make me foggy, but it makes me sort of feverish in a way that I don't think mix well with driving. Passionflower and ephedra are brewed as a tea, either together or separately. This is not something I take every day, but every now and then when I need to really relax and forget all my worries.

White sage (Salvia apiana): White sage is usually used as an incense, but it can actually also be ingested. It has very good anxiolytic effects on many people and is also a good sleeping aid. I seldom use this to counter anxiety and depression, but I've used it with good effect when I've suffered from insomnia. Contrary to most of the other herbs listed here, white sage makes many people feel stoned, although not as stoned as on cannabis, so you should not drive or go to work while using it. It's usually brewed as a tea. Reportedly, if you take high doses or smoke it you will get really ill.

Gotu cola (Centella asiatica): For me, gotu cola has stronger sedative effects than anxiolytic, and anxiety can "shine through" a little bit sometimes. I find it relaxing and sometimes take it in the evening before I go to bed. It's not on the top of my list, but it's not a bad option and I use it as an alternative to damiana at times. Gotu cola makes me slightly foggy so I would hesitate to drive or go to work when under the influence. It's usually ingested in capsules or brewed as a tea; the latter has a much stronger effect on me than the former.

S:t John's wort (Hypericum perforatum): First of all, S:t John's wort may interact negatively with some prescription medicines, so it's a good idea to read up on it before using it. Many people speak well of it and for good reasons. It's been used since antiquity and a multitude of studies have shown that it has antidepressant properties. When it comes to me, it does have rather good antidepressant and anxiolytic effects. It's a tad too sedative for me and I don't really like the earthy taste, but that's just me. Again, many people like S:t John's wort and there are documented effects, so it's well worth a try. It's usually ingested in capsules or brewed as a tea; the latter has a much stronger effect on me than the former.

Lemon grass (Cymbopogon): Lemon grass is mildly sedative and anxiolytic. To me, it has very weak effects, even at high doses. Almost all the herbs listed here are stronger than lemon grass. Still, it offers some soft and mild sedation and contrary to most herbs on this list it tastes quite good. I use it as a backup in case I develop tolerance for more potent herbs. As far as I know, lemon grass is always brewed as a tea.

Wild lettuce (Lactuca virosa): Wild lettuce is sometimes called the poor man's opium. Supposedly, it has analgesic, sedative, and hallucinatory effects. To be honest, I think it's bullshit. Admittedly, I haven't snorted it in high doses which allegedly gives stronger effects, but I've ingested a 100:1 extract and I've not felt any effects whatsoever. Maybe that's just me, though. Some people speak well of wild lettuce so I thought I should include it anyway. It can be made into a tea, ingested as an extract, smoked, and snorted.

Kava: This herb has really been hyped in recent years. It has many fans because of its sedative and euphoric effects. The euphoric effects usually last for 1–3 hours while the sedative effects can last many more hours. I was underwhelmed by kava, to be honest. It's certainly sedative, but it makes me foggy and lethargic. I certainly don't recommend driving or going to work while on Kava. As for euphoric effects, I didn't experience any whatsoever, nor from the combination Damiana and Kava which supposedly gives even stronger euphoric effects. Don't take my word for it, though. Kava supposedly has a reverse tolerance, but I have no idea if it's true or not. Kava is always prepared into a cold beverage which requires some preparation.

Catuaba bark (Trichilia catigua, Exythroxylum vaccinifolium, etc.): This is a stimulant, somewhat similar to caffeine and acting just as fast, if not faster. What's interesting in this context is that the first time I took it, I was surprised that it not only had a stimulating effect on me, but also a stabilising effect. Suddenly there was no emotional rollercoaster or inner turmoil. Perhaps it works that way on me because I'm bipolar. It doesn't always work but when it does the effects last many hours. It might be worth considering if you suffer from depression and feel listless and feeble. Catuaba bark is as far as I know always brewed as a tea. A word of warning: it stains all kinds of materials badly, even metal.

Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus): This is also a stimulant. Contrary to most other stimulants, the effects come on slowly and subtly. This has an amazingly stabilising effect on me, much more so than catuaba bark. I experience no anxiety, depressive thoughts, or suicide impulses while I'm on a strong dose of Siberian ginseng. The effects last a whole day for me. Again, this might be because I'm bipolar, so it might not work if you suffer from other mood disorders. I'm beginning to think that I could skip all other herbs and focus on this one. I even feel that I could skip my regular medication, but that's something I wouldn't dare doing. It can be brewed as a tea, but it's mostly taken as capsules or tablets. I usually take some capsules before I go to work, and always if I've slept badly. Strangely, it seems that low or medium doses may have stronger effects than high doses for me.

Black maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): Maca is sometimes said to be related to coca, from which cocaine is extracted, but I'd say that's bullshit. Be that as it may, black maca is the strongest variety of maca. It's a stimulant resembling Siberian ginseng, but the effects come on faster, at least for me. Black maca also has a stabilising effect on me, although not quite as strong as Siberian ginseng. A disadvantage with Black maca is that it's a bit rough on your stomach. As far as I know, it's usually taken in capsules, but I assume you can make coffee on it too. I often take a few capsules of black maca as a complement to my Siberian ginseng, as I feel that they interact well and potentiate each other.

Panax ginseng (Panax ginseng): Ginseng is well-known and Panax ginseng, A.K.A. Korean or Red ginseng, is the possibly most potent variety. It's sometimes said to have anxiolytic and antidepressant properties at medium doses, and that might be true. However, I only take it in high doses. It sounds ridiculous, but you can actually get high on ginseng. It's difficult to explain the feeling, but it's like you are clear and alert and foggy and sedated at the same time. I don't think it's a good idea to drive while on high doses of potent ginseng. A disadvantage with pure Panax ginseng root, which as far as I know is the most potent form of ginseng, is that it's quite expensive. Nonetheless, I only buy Panax ginseng root and use it on rare occasions, mostly social events, to supress shyness and nervousness, and it always works. It's normally taken in capsules, but it can be taken in many other ways. I simply brew it as a tea and allow it to steep for a very long time.

Sassafras (Sassafras albidum): First a word of warning. This herb affects serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine levels so it may be dangerous to combine it with SSRI's and other antidepressants. Also, it may be carcinogenic, although there's no definitive proof to support this. It's a so-called precursor to MDMA, and at higher doses there are somewhat similar effects. With that said, it's an effective sedative that kicks in fast. Sassafras efficiently kill all anxiety and depression for me. It makes me slightly foggy, although nowhere near cannabis or opioids, so I would hesitate to drive while on sassafras, but not to go to work. It's almost invariably smoked – a tea has almost non-existent effects – and can be mixed with damiana to get giggles. A word of warning: the smoke is really harsh. I use sassafras infrequently, in moderation, and only when I experience acute anxiety and depression, as I imagine that I get a dopamine dip afterwards.

Sassafras + Damiana: Some people speak well of this combination and I'm one of them. To me, it has both the qualities of sassafras and damiana, but also somewhat dreamy qualities. I feel good and sometimes get the giggles too. For some reason, I haven't used it many times, but it has been a pleasant experience every time. Sassafras and damiana are smoked in combination, usually with more sassafras than damiana.

• Love
Reactions: antigone_iris, AvaAdore, Tragoedia Vitae and 33 others
S

Suilven

Sep 19, 2019
Superbly written and really interesting, thank you.

I have yet to find any prescribed drug that does not have crippling side effects so this looks like a whole new world worth exploring.

My only concern is, how do you know what you're buying contains the active ingredient, or indeed anything of value? I have a distrust in ebay as I have been sold fakes many times, but if I knew of a good supplier I would give it a go.

Reactions: Sensei
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Superbly written and really interesting, thank you.

Thank you, that's very kind. :happy:

I have yet to find any prescribed drug that does not have crippling side effects so this looks like a whole new world worth exploring.

That's a big plus with herbs. I should point out that this is just a sample and that there are many more herbs worth exploring. I've only listed herbs I have personal experience of.

My only concern is, how do you know what you're buying contains the active ingredient, or indeed anything of value? I have a distrust in ebay as I have been sold fakes many times, but if I knew of a good supplier I would give it a go.

I buy almost all of my herbs on eBay and I have never been scammed. For some reason, people selling herbs seem to be honest people. I suspect that it's because people who buy herbs tend to be returning customers. However, it might be worth checking out different sellers as they can offer herbs of slightly different potency, which I think is unavoidable when dealing with natural products. I can of course not guarantee that you won't be scammed, but I'd say the risk is low. In any case, a dud won't cost you much money.

Reactions: arposandra and Suilven
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
It just hit me... Are you saying you smoke these or use them as incenses?

Nothing personal against smoking strange herbs I've never heard of, just verifying what I'm supposed to do with these.

Reactions: Suilven
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
It just hit me... Are you saying you smoke these or use them as incenses?

Nothing personal against smoking strange herbs I've never heard of, just verifying what I'm supposed to do with these.

You can read in the text how they are used. Most of them are brewed as a tea or ingested as an extract, but a few can be smoked. The only herb on this list which can be smoked only is Sassafras.

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
You can read in the text how they are used. Most of them are brewed as a tea or ingested as an extract, but a few can be smoked. The only herb on this list which can be smoked only is Sassafras.
I feel an urge to facepalm myself into a coma. I swear, when I read this at first, I didn't see the last sentence or two stating how to use them. On any herb. Just the intended effects.

• Love
Reactions: I’mDone
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I feel an urge to facepalm myself into a coma. I swear, when I read this at first, I didn't see the last sentence or two stating how to use them. On any herb. Just the intended effects.

No problem, mate. We do after all have many and serious matters to think about.

Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
Great piece of research! Thanks for sharing.

APharmaDestroyedLife

APharmaDestroyedLife

Your RX drugs are likely your real problem
Nov 4, 2019
Kava: This herb has really been hyped in recent years. It has many fans because of its sedative and euphoric effects. The euphoric effects usually last for 1–3 hours while the sedative effects can last many more hours. I was underwhelmed by kava, to be honest. It's certainly sedative, but it makes me foggy and lethargic. I certainly don't recommend driving or going to work while on Kava. As for euphoric effects, I didn't experience any whatsoever, nor from the combination Damiana and Kava which supposedly gives even stronger euphoric effects. Don't take my word for it, though. Kava supposedly has a reverse tolerance, but I have no idea if it's true or not. Kava is always prepared into a cold beverage.
Liquid KavaKava mixed with water is awesome, sure it tastes like a mouthful of soap, bit it really does work. I am going to look into some of your other suggestions, thank you for putting together such a detailed post.

Its a shame you can get put on a 3 drug pharma chemical cocktail that will likely cost you less than just a months supply of one of these herbs... something is very wrong with our medical systems around the world.

D

Daniela

Specialist
Feb 23, 2019
damiana is avertised as an aphrodisiac, I guess anxiolytic wasn't clickbait enough...

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Thanks for putting all this info together for us. I'll be trying this stuff thank u :)

APharmaDestroyedLife

APharmaDestroyedLife

Your RX drugs are likely your real problem
Nov 4, 2019
@Sensei do you prefer liquid, capsules, or raw leaves / root? I am looking at trying a few of your suggestions available from that website everyone gets everything through these days. I dont know if talking the AMAZON river or rain forest is again the rules. Anyway you get my point... I see some good reviews and fair prices on capsules. What are your thoughts experiences with the different methods of ingestion? Thanks again, great read.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Liquid KavaKava mixed with water is awesome, sure it tastes like a mouthful of soap, bit it really does work.

I should have pointed out in the text that kava has good anxiolytic effects on many people, including me. I can certainly understand why so many people like it, but it's not really my cup of tea.
@Sensei do you prefer liquid, capsules, or raw leaves / root?

That depends on the herb.

Leaves, needles: damiana, passionflower, white sage, lemon grass, ephedra, Saint John's wort, gotu cola, sometimes Siberian ginseng.
Powder extracts: kanna, wild dagga, wild lettuce.
Capsules: Siberian ginseng, black maca.
Bark, root: panax ginseng, catuaba bark, sassafras, sometimes ephedra.
Powder: kava.'

I've never tried any herbs in liquid form, save for teas brewed on them.

I am looking at trying a few of your suggestions available from that website everyone gets everything through these days. I dont know if talking the AMAZON river or rain forest is again the rules. Anyway you get my point... I see some good reviews and fair prices on capsules.

Hm, do we really have to speak in code? We are after all not promoting specific products and there are several vendors who sell each and every herb listed here via different online marketplaces. Also, it's for a good cause, namely to potentially make everyday life a little easier for people who suffer from anxiety, depression, and bipolarity. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding you? Be that as it may. I almost always by my herbs via eBay, but sometimes also via Etsy, and I've never been disappointed. I've never bought any herbs via Amazon so I can't say anything about that unfortunately.

What are your thoughts experiences with the different methods of ingestion?

Ingesting powder extracts and capsules is the most convenient method, and extracts can often be snorted too, but not all herbs are suited for this. I like brewing teas on herbs, but it's not as convenient a method, as they preferably should be filtered through cloth. Herbal teas are usually not very tasty either, although there are ways to get around this. I'm not as fond of smoking herbs, as the smoke often is harsh, but when it comes to sassafras I have no choice.

Thanks again, great read.

Thanks, that's kind of you. :happy:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: APharmaDestroyedLife
A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
I'm amusing myself with the following idea: take a hundred gram of each herb, get a massive pot, put all herbs in a blender (or chop them up manually), make "tea" with all of these herbs in equal portions...
How do you think that'd play out?

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm amusing myself with the following idea: take a hundred gram of each herb, get a massive pot, put all herbs in a blender (or chop them up manually), make "tea" with all of these herbs in equal portions...
How do you think that'd play out?

Actually, that would probably work quite well. The combinations amiana + kanna, passionflower + ephdra, and sassafras + damiana work very well, and I've made own experiments with e.g. catuaba bark + damiana with rather good results. There's of course a risk that the effects of weaker herbs will be lost. If you decide to make such a wicthes' brew, let me know how it turned out.

A

ArtsyDrawer

Enlightened
Nov 8, 2018
Actually, that would probably work quite well. The combinations amiana + kanna, passionflower + ephdra, and sassafras + damiana work very well, and I've made own experiments with e.g. catuaba bark + damiana with rather good results. There's of course a risk that the effects of weaker herbs will be lost. If you decide to make such a wicthes' brew, let me know how it turned out.
There's "want" and there's "can", unfortunately.
I'm taking some "actual medications", so to speak, that fuck up my brain. I mean, I'm epileptic, my brain is already fucked up. Keppra is just trying to fuck up my brain in such a way it counters epilepsy's fucking.
Also, there's a SSRI in there. AFAIK, SSRI+AED=bad times. Besides, it's not like I can waltz into my neuro's office and ask if doing that would be frowned upon. It probably would be. I would also be thrown somewhere, undoubtedly.
So yeah, I'll be waiting till after a temporal lobecotomy to touch this stuff. Still, I've saved this thread for future use.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
There's "want" and there's "can", unfortunately.
I'm taking some "actual medications", so to speak, that fuck up my brain. I mean, I'm epileptic, my brain is already fucked up. Keppra is just trying to fuck up my brain in such a way it counters epilepsy's fucking.
Also, there's a SSRI in there. AFAIK, SSRI+AED=bad times. Besides, it's not like I can waltz into my neuro's office and ask if doing that would be frowned upon. It probably would be. I would also be thrown somewhere, undoubtedly.
So yeah, I'll be waiting till after a temporal lobecotomy to touch this stuff. Still, I've saved this thread for future use.

I'd like to stress that these herbs can possibly complement pharmaceuticals, but not replace them. I'm taking lithium and lamotrigine myself which aren't medicines to be taken lightly. (Lamotrigine is used for treatment of both bipolarity and epilepsy. Something you useyourself, perhaps? If so, be aware that it can engender suicidal ideation if used as monotherapy.) As you can see, most of the herbs I'm discussing here deal with anxiety and depression one way or another, and I think herbs generally speaking are best suited for treating such problems.

Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Mage
May 14, 2018
This is awesome. I'm been waiting for you write this since the shroom thread.

Thanks.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Can't thank you enough for sharing this. Some new things I haven't tried yet! Thank you Sensei

N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I mix powdered ginseng into black tea sometimes, also licorice root helps stop my blood pressure from getting too low which helps keep tachycardia/visual 'floaters' at bay...

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I mix powdered ginseng into black tea sometimes, also licorice root helps stop my blood pressure from getting too low which helps keep tachycardia/visual 'floaters' at bay...

Indeed, herbs have many potential heatlh benefits, although the individual variations seem to be big. I only use them to battle anxiety, depression, and suicidal impulses, though. They work for me and many other people and hopefully they work for people frequenting this forum too.

SlackJim

SlackJim

Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost
Sep 30, 2019
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh: "wild lettuce... Admittedly, I haven't snorted it in high doses"
because now I have this picture of a big plate of lettuce being made into lines...

But for real thanks for writing this up I'm curious to try a few of these

Reactions: arposandra
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
Awesome information, I know many people will find this helpful and educational.
I attempted to do herbal remedies for my mental health before I was diagnosed with Bipolar. Would often take a mood tonic along with St. John's Wort + Rhodiola Rosea, and I just deteriorated even further. I can't imagine going back and trying to maintain Bipolar without medication as it is a chemical imbalance.

ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Enlightened
Feb 2, 2019
I'm used to self-medicating. I used to self-medicate with poppy pod tea and kratom, but they only had temporary effects on me, made me foggy, interfered with my regular medication, and almost made me addicted. Instead I started experimenting with so-called herbal highs and they have worked wonders for me. It sounds like a monumental exaggeration but without them I would be consumed by anxiety and depression and end it all immediately. Herbal highs are de facto narcotic, but much weaker than scheduled drugs. They are legal in all or almost all countries in the world, natural, not addictive, easy to find on eBay and in other places, and in most cases inexpensive. Most of them don't make you as foggy and lethargic as scheduled drugs do. Many of them also have other health effects, but I won't discuss them here as they are difficult to measure and often are contested.

This is not some New Age shit or placebo. Many herbal highs have been subject to medical studies which show that they really have effect. In fact, there are plans to extract the active substances from some of them and turn them into medicines. These herbal highs have helped me and many others suffering from anxiety, depression, and bipolarity so maybe they will help you too. However, they certainly don't work for everyone and they won't solve your problems, but they might reduce or neutralise your anxiety and depression and make your everyday life easier. Again, they are in most cases inexpensive, so it won't cost you much to try them out if you find the idea interesting.

A couple of warnings. When I talked about this with a psychiatrist, he didn't raise any objections. In fact, he basically encouraged it. However, this doesn't mean that these herbs won't interact with your medication, although the risk is probably smaller than with stronger drugs such as opioids and benzodiazepines. Also, notice that few if any of these herbs have been allergy tested. It's a good idea to make a test with a small sample before taking a full dose. Even if you don't fear death, there are better ways to die than of anaphylactic shock. Finally, the long-term effects of these herbs are not known, but that's maybe of minor importance if you plan to leave for good.

If you know of any other good herbs feel free to share. The more options to choose between, the better.

Damiana (Turnera diffusa): If you want to test herbs this is the best one to start with, in my opinion. Damiana is a mild sedative which has surprisingly good anxiolytic and antidepressant effects on many people, including me. This herb literally keeps me alive, because I don't get any suicidal impulses while on damiana. I never get high on damiana, although it's possible at high doses – I just feel wonderfully normal. For me, the effects usually last a working day or longer, i.e. at least eight hours. You can drive and go to work on damiana without any problems, unless taken in very high doses. For better or worse, it's also a surprisingly strong aphrodisiac. It's claimed that damiana has a reverse tolerance, i.e. if you use it for a long time you need lower doses, and it might actually be true. It's usually brewed as a tea, but it can also be smoked with shorter, mildly euphoric effects. I usually bring a bottle of damiana tea to work.

Kanna (Sceletium tortuosum): First of all, it should be mentioned that kanna is said to basically be an SSRI and that there are people who use kanna instead of SSRI's. It's not clear if kanna and SSRI's interact and if so, how. That said, this is a mild stimulant which lifts the mood, and it could perhaps be described as very weak cocaine. For me, the effects last a few hours, and I need to "refill" during the day. As with damiana, you can drive and go to work on kanna without any problems, unless taken in very high doses, because then it becomes sedating for many people. It's usually made into an extract and ingested, but it can also be smoked with more sedative effects or snorted with faster, but shorter effects. A word of warning: it's really painful to snort kanna the first times. I usually ingest it, but sometimes I snort it when I need to lift my mood quickly.

Damiana + Kanna: Damiana and kanna in combination have a very good effect on many people, including yours truly. This is the basis of my self-medication. It makes me feel perfectly normal and it's fantastic really. I've used it on an almost daily basis for about four months now and I've only had to increase the doses of kanna slightly due to developing tolerance. Highly recommended.

Wild dagga (Leonotis leonurus): Wild dagga is a sedative, but it has weaker effects than damiana, at least for me. However, many people hold it in high regard, so I thought I should include it. It's ingested either as an extract, probably the most common method, or as a tea, with calming and relaxing effects. Reportedly, it can also be smoked with mood enhancement and mild euphoria as effects. Some people even compare it to marijuana, but I don't know how accurate that is. I've bought small amounts of Wild dagga and use it infrequently so to not use damiana all the time and develop tolerance.

Wild dagga + Kanna: This combination is also held in high regard by many people, but it doesn't do much for me personally. However, I should point out that I've only tried weak doses. I suspect that when it works, it resembles the combination of damiana and kanna, but that's just a guess.

Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata): Passionflower has a mildly anxiolytic effect, but it's not as effective as damiana, at least not for me. Many people, including me, find it to be a very good sleeping aid, though. In my experience, the effects don't last long, so you have to go to bed soon after you have taken it. It makes me a little bit foggy, so I avoid driving until the effects have passed. Passionflower is as far as I know always brewed as a tea.

Ephedra (Ephedra sinica): First a word of warning. Ephedra is a strong stimulant which should be handled with care. At high doses and/or in combination with other stimulants such as caffeine, there may be very unpleasant adverse effects such as anxiety, vomiting, and seizures, and in the worst-case scenario cardiac arrest or stroke. It's also a strong dietary supplement, which may have negative health effects if not used in moderation. For these reasons, it's illegal to use ephedra in supplements in some countries, but it's as far as I know not illegal to buy ephedra in any countries. That said, it's well documented that ephedra increases physical energy, strength, and stamina. I've taken ephedra in low doses before going to the gym, and I can confirm that it really has a good effect. If you suffer from depression and feel listless and feeble, this might be worth considering, but again, be careful.

Passionflower + Ephedra: This combination has unexpected effects. It's relaxing and euphoric, actually resembling opioids to some degree. The euphoric effects last less than an hour, but the relaxing effects last a couple of hours or more, at least for me. It doesn't exactly make me foggy, but it makes me sort of feverish in a way that I don't think mix well with driving. Passionflower and ephedra are brewed as a tea, either together or separately. This is not something I take every day, but every now and then when I need to really relax and forget all my worries.

White sage (Salvia apiana): White sage is usually used as an incense, but it can actually also be ingested. It has very good anxiolytic effects on many people and is also a good sleeping aid. I seldom use this to counter anxiety and depression, but I've used it with good effect when I've suffered from insomnia. Contrary to most of the other herbs listed here, white sage makes many people feel stoned, although not as stoned as on cannabis, so you should not drive or go to work while using it. It's usually brewed as a tea. Reportedly, if you take high doses or smoke it you will get really ill.

Gotu cola (Centella asiatica): For me, gotu cola has stronger sedative effects than anxiolytic, and anxiety can "shine through" a little bit sometimes. I find it relaxing and sometimes take it in the evening before I go to bed. It's not on the top of my list, but it's not a bad option and I use it as an alternative to damiana at times. Gotu cola makes me slightly foggy so I would hesitate to drive or go to work when under the influence. It's usually ingested in capsules or brewed as a tea; the latter has a much stronger effect on me than the former.

S:t John's wort (Hypericum perforatum): First of all, S:t John's wort may interact negatively with some prescription medicines, so it's a good idea to read up on it before using it. Many people speak well of it and for good reasons. It's been used since antiquity and a multitude of studies have shown that it has antidepressant properties. When it comes to me, it does have rather good antidepressant and anxiolytic effects. It's a tad too sedative for me and I don't really like the earthy taste, but that's just me. Again, many people like S:t John's wort and there are documented effects, so it's well worth a try. It's usually ingested in capsules or brewed as a tea; the latter has a much stronger effect on me than the former.

Lemon grass (Cymbopogon): Lemon grass is mildly sedative and anxiolytic. To me, it has very weak effects, even at high doses. Almost all the herbs listed here are stronger than lemon grass. Still, it offers some soft and mild sedation and contrary to most herbs on this list it tastes quite good. I use it as a backup in case I develop tolerance for more potent herbs. As far as I know, lemon grass is always brewed as a tea.

Wild lettuce (Lactuca virosa): Wild lettuce is sometimes called the poor man's opium. Supposedly, it has analgesic, sedative, and hallucinatory effects. To be honest, I think it's bullshit. Admittedly, I haven't snorted it in high doses which allegedly gives stronger effects, but I've ingested a 100:1 extract and I've not felt any effects whatsoever. Maybe that's just me, though. Some people speak well of wild lettuce so I thought I should include it anyway. It can be made into a tea, ingested as an extract, smoked, and snorted.

Kava: This herb has really been hyped in recent years. It has many fans because of its sedative and euphoric effects. The euphoric effects usually last for 1–3 hours while the sedative effects can last many more hours. I was underwhelmed by kava, to be honest. It's certainly sedative, but it makes me foggy and lethargic. I certainly don't recommend driving or going to work while on Kava. As for euphoric effects, I didn't experience any whatsoever, nor from the combination Damiana and Kava which supposedly gives even stronger euphoric effects. Don't take my word for it, though. Kava supposedly has a reverse tolerance, but I have no idea if it's true or not. Kava is always prepared into a cold beverage which requires some preparation.

Catuaba bark (Trichilia catigua, Exythroxylum vaccinifolium, etc.): This is a stimulant, somewhat similar to caffeine and acting just as fast, if not faster. What's interesting in this context is that the first time I took it, I was surprised that it not only had a stimulating effect on me, but also a stabilising effect. Suddenly there was no emotional rollercoaster or inner turmoil. Perhaps it works that way on me because I'm bipolar. It doesn't always work but when it does the effects last many hours. It might be worth considering if you suffer from depression and feel listless and feeble. Catuaba bark is as far as I know always brewed as a tea. A word of warning: it stains all kinds of materials badly, even metal.

Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus): This is also a stimulant. Contrary to most other stimulants, the effects come on slowly and subtly. This has an amazingly stabilising effect on me, much more so than catuaba bark. I experience no anxiety, depressive thoughts, or suicide impulses while I'm on a strong dose of Siberian ginseng. The effects last a whole day for me. Again, this might be because I'm bipolar, so it might not work if you suffer from other mood disorders. I'm beginning to think that I could skip all other herbs and focus on this one. I even feel that I could skip my regular medication, but that's something I wouldn't dare doing. It can be brewed as a tea, but it's mostly taken as capsules or tablets. I usually take some capsules before I go to work, and always if I've slept badly. Strangely, it seems that low or medium doses may have stronger effects than high doses for me.

Black maca (Lepidium peruvianum Chacon): Maca is sometimes said to be related to coca, from which cocaine is extracted, but I'd say that's bullshit. Be that as it may, black maca is the strongest variety of maca. It's a stimulant resembling Siberian ginseng, but the effects come on faster, at least for me. Black maca also has a stabilising effect on me, although not quite as strong as Siberian ginseng. A disadvantage with Black maca is that it's a bit rough on your stomach. As far as I know, it's usually taken in capsules, but I assume you can make coffee on it too. I often take a few capsules of black maca as a complement to my Siberian ginseng, as I feel that they interact well and potentiate each other.

Panax ginseng (Panax ginseng): Ginseng is well-known and Panax ginseng, A.K.A. Korean or Red ginseng, is the possibly most potent variety. It's sometimes said to have anxiolytic and antidepressant properties at medium doses, and that might be true. However, I only take it in high doses. It sounds ridiculous, but you can actually get high on ginseng. It's difficult to explain the feeling, but it's like you are clear and alert and foggy and sedated at the same time. I don't think it's a good idea to drive while on high doses of potent ginseng. A disadvantage with pure Panax ginseng root, which as far as I know is the most potent form of ginseng, is that it's quite expensive. Nonetheless, I only buy Panax ginseng root and use it on rare occasions, mostly social events, to supress shyness and nervousness, and it always works. It's normally taken in capsules, but it can be taken in many other ways. I simply brew it as a tea and allow it to steep for a very long time.

Sassafras (Sassafras albidum): First a word of warning. This herb affects serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine levels so it may be dangerous to combine it with SSRI's and other antidepressants. Also, it may be carcinogenic, although there's no definitive proof to support this. It's a so-called precursor to MDMA, and at higher doses there are somewhat similar effects. With that said, it's an effective sedative that kicks in fast. Sassafras efficiently kill all anxiety and depression for me. It makes me slightly foggy, although nowhere near cannabis or opioids, so I would hesitate to drive while on sassafras, but not to go to work. It's almost invariably smoked – a tea has almost non-existent effects – and can be mixed with damiana to get giggles. A word of warning: the smoke is really harsh. I use sassafras infrequently, in moderation, and only when I experience acute anxiety and depression, as I imagine that I get a dopamine dip afterwards.

Sassafras + Damiana: Some people speak well of this combination and I'm one of them. To me, it has both the qualities of sassafras and damiana, but also somewhat dreamy qualities. I feel good and sometimes get the giggles too. For some reason, I haven't used it many times, but it has been a pleasant experience every time. Sassafras and damiana are smoked in combination, usually with more sassafras than damiana.
Thanks for sharing. Homeopathy is an art as well as a science. Some remedies will work for some individuals, and not for others. And some remedies could have different outcomes that what is expected. But it is the best jumping point in the road to recovery.

Conker

Conker

Specialist
Oct 22, 2019
What's a good source for Kanna? As for herbs to self medicate with, check out Kalawalla, DCA (not a herb but a good cancer preventative), cocolmeca, yellowdock, burdock and sarsaparilla.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh: "wild lettuce... Admittedly, I haven't snorted it in high doses"
because now I have this picture of a big plate of lettuce being made into lines...

Ha ha! Well it does have a campy name. I'm not impressed by wild lettuce, but may it can help others.
Awesome information, I know many people will find this helpful and educational.
I attempted to do herbal remedies for my mental health before I was diagnosed with Bipolar. Would often take a mood tonic along with St. John's Wort + Rhodiola Rosea, and I just deteriorated even further. I can't imagine going back and trying to maintain Bipolar without medication as it is a chemical imbalance.

I want to emphasize that I still take my pharmaceutical medicines. They prevent episodes quite well, but not the every-day instability I and many others who are bipolar have to live with. For different reasons, the pharmaceutical sedatives and anxiolytics that are available in my country aren't working or are unsuitable for me. Hence, I tried herbs and I'm glad I did.

What's a good source for Kanna?

For the time being, I'd say Etsy.

What's a good source for Kanna? As for herbs to self medicate with, check out Kalawalla, DCA (not a herb but a good cancer preventative), cocolmeca, yellowdock, burdock and sarsaparilla.

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check them out.

Last edited:
W

Wiltshire

Nov 14, 2019
This is great. I went to see a herbalist this year and had a tincture made up. I then ordered things and made my own but this list seems very extensive. I look often at a site on herbs by someone called Richard Whelan herbalist. I'm going to look these up on his site out of interest. We can't get kava in the U.K. to my knowledge - I tried before. I haven't read all this in detail but I've just done a screenshot so I'm going to have a good read tomorrow. Thanks for posting such a lot of information.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Sensei another big thank you for posting . May I also ask what your doseage is - particularly for the Siberian Ginseng?

Here is my early report on the latest natural remedies I am trying:

I went to the health food store in London yesterday (Revital) and bought quite a few of these:
Black Maca - that was maybe £4 so that was a bargain!
Damiana Tea
Cordyceps (which is a superfood mushroom), Rhodiola & Ginseng [ Cordyceps is a superfood mushroom that has some good reviews for depression]
Also Siberian Ginseng - on its own

Yesterday I had the Black Maca, which seemed to improve my mood. Then I had the Cordyceps and my mood was very low again. Then I had the Damiana Tea in the evening, still low mood.

Then I woke up this morning without suicidal thoughts - I have them every morning and all day long till the evening, and they are the first thought of the day.

I was lying in bed reading, not very motivated, but not feeling awful. It was a few hours, till about 2pm. Then I had a Siberian Ginseng and got up motivated and buzzy and got stuff done (laundry, unpacking, cleaning), none of which I could be bothered to do before.

Now I've had the Cordyceps and still feel okay. Like not happy, but no suicidal thoughts and okay.

So all of this is quite promising. Usually with natural remedies, they work for me for two weeks and then stop working. I will let you know if my luck with these supplements holds.

Other stuff that some people rate (or that has worked for me for two weeks before no longer working) are:

Kratom - some people say this is life-changing/life saving. There are scare stories, but it can be cycled to prevent tolerance and used sensibly. It did nothing for me, but is really worth a try for depression.

Polygala Tenuifoila - gave me two weeks of the happiest weeks of my life, then stopped working

L-Tryptophan - helped me again for two weeks, then stopped working

I have also tried two conventional medications for depression - Vortioxetine for 3 months, didn't help and sedated me, and Moclobemide, which worked for two weeks then stopped working.

I'm going to keep trying the natural stuff for a little while longer, then try another med if I have to. Doing this for my mum! She knows I want to CTB, but she would rather I don't.

Everyone - please let us know if anything natural helps you!

J

Reactions: TheBigBurden and arposandra
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
May I also ask what your doseage is - particularly for the Siberian Ginseng?

I take 2–4.5 grams, usually around 3, a day. Evidently, it's a high dose. I've noticed that the potency can vary quite a lot, but I've found a vendor now who sells strong stuff. In my experience, capsules have better effect than tablets.

Here is my early report on the latest natural remedies I am trying:

I went to the health food store in London yesterday (Revital) and bought quite a few of these:
Black Maca - that was maybe £4 so that was a bargain!
Damiana Tea
Cordyceps (which is a superfood mushroom), Rhodiola & Ginseng [ Cordyceps is a superfood mushroom that has some good reviews for depression]
Also Siberian Ginseng - on its own

Yesterday I had the Black Maca, which seemed to improve my mood. Then I had the Cordyceps and my mood was very low again. Then I had the Damiana Tea in the evening, still low mood.

Then I woke up this morning without suicidal thoughts - I have them every morning and all day long till the evening, and they are the first thought of the day.

I was lying in bed reading, not very motivated, but not feeling awful. It was a few hours, till about 2pm. Then I had a Siberian Ginseng and got up motivated and buzzy and got stuff done (laundry, unpacking, cleaning), none of which I could be bothered to do before.

Now I've had the Cordyceps and still feel okay. Like not happy, but no suicidal thoughts and okay.

Nice! Never heard of cordyceps before. I now very little of fungi, I'm afraid. A quick google search tells me that it's a stimulant. I've noticed that stimulants can be just as good as sedatives for reducing anxiety and depression. The neutralisation of suicidal impulses is the most important aspect for me, but that's closely linked to anxiety in my case.

So all of this is quite promising. Usually with natural remedies, they work for me for two weeks and then stop working. I will let you know if my luck with these supplements holds.

Hm. They have worked for me for months, knock on wood. Do you think it's because you develop tolerance in some way? Keep us updated.

Other stuff that some people rate (or that has worked for me for two weeks before no longer working) are:

Kratom - some people say this is life-changing/life saving. There are scare stories, but it can be cycled to prevent tolerance and used sensibly. It did nothing for me, but is really worth a try for depression.

Polygala Tenuifoila - gave me two weeks of the happiest weeks of my life, then stopped working

L-Tryptophan - helped me again for two weeks, then stopped working

I used kratom for several months and although there are many downsides with it, it's definitely effective when you experience accute anxiety and suicide impulses. It keeps thousands and thousands of people alive, so I hope the authorities don't decide to ban it.

I have also tried two conventional medications for depression - Vortioxetine for 3 months, didn't help and sedated me, and Moclobemide, which worked for two weeks then stopped working.

Not good old citalopram? I know it has helped many people, including me. I took it for, at a guess, eight years and it worked just fine until it suddenly an inexplicably stopped working.

I'm going to keep trying the natural stuff for a little while longer, then try another med if I have to. Doing this for my mum! She knows I want to CTB, but she would rather I don't.

We all have to keep fighting our inner demons until it's no longer possible.

Everyone - please let us know if anything natural helps you!

Hear, hear! I wish someone had told me about herbs many years ago. Would have made my life a little easier.

A

arposandra

Nov 16, 2019
I knew a little about St. John's and Ginseng but the rest is very new to me. thanks for the in depth breakdown of these.