Achromatix

Achromatix

Always Alone
Sep 11, 2022
I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a neat perspective of self. I think it's cute (not in a condescending way!) if people can be happy with themselves, so if that's how it can be expressed/accomplished then therians sound pretty neat. dysphoria is real, so I'm curious to what extent therians feel it. It almost sounds tragic too now that I think about it. I'm confused now ;-;

Conclusion: I would love to learn more out of curiosity and awareness on how to be respectful to therians. Like if they are offended about anything we might not think about and say or assume.

• Love
Reactions: Burden_Bailey
L

LifeCanBeCruel

Jan 2, 2023
Hmm, I'm undecided about how I should feel about this. I don't doubt that you actually feel like you're an animal, but where does identifying with something you're seemingly not end? There are people claiming to be transrace and transabled for example, and whilst bigots & trolls use those identities as a sort of "gotcha" against transgender people, there must be at least some who legitimately feel and self-dentify that way as well. I don't care how people self-identify personally, but I think labels can be weaponized and misused by bad actors. People could also take these identities too far and demand unreasonable rights. Is that a reason to police identity entirely? Absolutely not, but it does raise questions on just how far society should accommodate people with unorthodox self-identity. Imagine someone identifies as being a dog and wants to walk publicly through the streets naked and on a leash. Should that ever be tolerated? I don't think so. But some people may feel like they need to do that in order to feel happy in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slow_Farewell
Burden_Bailey

Burden_Bailey

A lonely lesbian
Dec 9, 2023
Imagine someone identifies as being a dog and wants to walk publicly through the streets naked and on a leash. Should that ever be tolerated? I don't think so.
I don't think so either. But that's not what therians do at all. They would not go on a leash or be naked in public. They understand that they are physically humans, and they would never do anything like that. This is a stereotype. I'm not mad at all! You didn't know. I'm just telling you that it's not true. (:
I've never heard of it, but it sounds like a neat perspective of self. I think it's cute (not in a condescending way!) if people can be happy with themselves, so if that's how it can be expressed/accomplished then therians sound pretty neat. dysphoria is real, so I'm curious to what extent therians feel it. It almost sounds tragic too now that I think about it. I'm confused now ;-;

Conclusion: I would love to learn more out of curiosity and awareness on how to be respectful to therians. Like if they are offended about anything we might not think about and say or assume.
Ohh, thank you! I would love to teach you more about therians in our DM's!

Reactions: binturong
L

LifeCanBeCruel

Jan 2, 2023
I don't think so either. But that's not what therians do at all. They would not go on a leash or be naked in public. They understand that they are physically humans, and they would never do anything like that. This is a stereotype. I'm not mad at all! You didn't know. I'm just telling you that it's not true. (:
Maybe not the majority but there are extremists in every group, and those were the ones I had in mind. I should have been clearer, sorry.

Burden_Bailey

Burden_Bailey

A lonely lesbian
Dec 9, 2023
Maybe not the majority but there are extremists in every group, and those were the ones I had in mind. I should have been clearer, sorry.
No, no, it's okay! And yes, I admit, there are some extremist therians out there. I am greatly embarrassed by some of them. But they shouldn't represent the whole community. Like how the people who crashed the planes in 9/11 shouldn't represent all Muslims.

L

LifeCanBeCruel

Jan 2, 2023
No, no, it's okay! And yes, I admit, there are some extremist therians out there. I am greatly embarrassed by some of them. But they shouldn't represent the whole community. Like how the people who crashed the planes in 9/11 shouldn't represent all Muslims.
Yup, 100% agree.

Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
I didn't know what it was so i googled it. I read the definition and personally, i didn't feel anything about it.
If I had to make a decision on thinking about them, i'm with the "as long as they don't hurt anyone and don't try to shove it in anyone's faces then we're good."

• Love
Burden_Bailey

Burden_Bailey

A lonely lesbian
Dec 9, 2023
I didn't know what it was so i googled it. I read the definition and personally, i didn't feel anything about it.
If I had to make a decision on thinking about them, i'm with the "as long as they don't hurt anyone and don't try to shove it in anyone's faces then we're good."
Well, thanks for supporting!

Reactions: Slow_Farewell
binturong

binturong

shining of stars calls me home
Jul 4, 2019
i personally find it weird to say the least, and believe that people identifying as an animal should seek mental help - im not trying to say it in a rude way, but generally problems with gender identity etc come from dysphoria which is a mental disorder. its not the same as furry, where people just cosplay for fun, but actually think theyre an animal trapped in the wrong body... and i dont believe its fully "harmless", living in delusion isnt healthy and i dont think people should live in a bubble of their imaginaton, i believe to be actually cruel to let someone detach from reality just because they cant face the reality. i wouldnt be the person to laugh at them, but id just feel bad, not happy for them for "finding themselves" because they quite literally did the opposite.
I used to think that I was a therian, but I'm more likely a otherkin because I'm a fabulous beast, but I think it's similar.
When I was a member of a small closed community of therians, unlike me, they were mostly healthy people, just introverts with deviant thinking, many of them had jobs and a little social life, almost all fans of camping trip.
It seems to me that an indicator of mental health is the ability to take care of oneself, for example, to work, and also having a hobby or other ways to have fun, for example, camping trip, as well as behavior appropriate to the environment in which a person lives, and the presence of communication.
I have no problems with appropriate behavior, but I have a problem with work and partly with hobbies, not because of my deviations but because of autism, ADHD and GAD. My problems with communication are partly related to deviations, but why should I give up an important part of myself for the sake of communication, I will lose more than I will gain. But I can communicate with my own kind, because of autism it is difficult for me to communicate even with understanding, but I have one friend who is also a otherkin.
I have a neurodivergent brain, this contributed to me becoming who I became, it's not something that can be changed, it's just a given. Life taught me that striving to be like everyone else only brings me mental pain and disappointment, then I began to adapt life to myself as much as possible. When I told the psychotherapist about myself, she approved of this approach. Now my life is easier than before, there are other problems but they are not related to deviance.
Escapism in my case is a defense mechanism; I would have severe depression if it weren't for my good imagination. I am aware of my gender and appearance, but nothing will make me refuse to at least imagine being the way I feel, for me it's all natural, like breathing.
For comparison, imagine that you are allergic to oranges, but you like oranges and are asked to like apples, but you absolutely do not like apples and then you are offered to go to a psychologist so that he can help you stop loving oranges and and will change your attitude towards apples.
It seems completely different, but for me it's the same, a matter of taste, I never liked being human.
I believe that deviations that do not harm the subject and others are normal.

kipper

kipper

Mar 11, 2023
I'm also a therian ^_^ I find it to be something very important to my identity, although I dont speak of it much.

• Yay!
Burden_Bailey

Burden_Bailey

A lonely lesbian
Dec 9, 2023
I'm also a therian ^_^ I find it to be something very important to my identity, although I dont speak of it much.
That's really cool! Congrats! (:

• Love
Reactions: kipper
_Broken_alice

_Broken_alice

She/Her
Nov 19, 2023
2 of 3 of us are otherkin. 1 of us is very much a demi-cat. alice is a demi-demon of sorts.
IRL, the only people aware of either are the people closest to us.

FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
they're just having fun in their own way not that deep

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Meh, just people having fun, understandable tbh. Humans kinda suck, animals are just better.

I do relate in a way, while I'm not a therian, I don't feel like a human. And I like it this way. I know I don't act, think, or talk like how a human would. And I don't understand things regarding moral and common sense as how most humans do. I just feel other than human though, I don't feel like a specfic something non human

Last edited: