chronicpainnomore

chronicpainnomore

Not Circling the Drain Anymore
May 31, 2018
Has anyone else here seen the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror? It's by far my favorite episode and I'm curious what other people's opinion is on the subject. If you could CTB and get "uploaded" into the cloud like in the show, would you?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's on Netflix and I highly recommend watching it. The whole show is good, but San Junipero is in a league of its own.

Reactions: Gray Wounds, El Topo, Aponia & Ataraxia and 1 other person
El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
Has anyone else here seen the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror? It's by far my favorite episode and I'm curious what other people's opinion is on the subject. If you could CTB and get "uploaded" into the cloud like in the show, would you?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's on Netflix and I highly recommend watching it. The whole show is good, but San Junipero is in a league of its own.

When San Junipero aired, that was around the time I first began seriously thinking about CTB. I actually spent a long time thinking about whether I would still CTB if that technology existed, and I ended up deciding that I would.

Living in that virtual world would simply be a distraction/crutch, and personally for me, a life that is dependent on a crutch is not worth it.

Reactions: Caerula
Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
When San Junipero aired, that was around the time I first began seriously thinking about CTB. I actually spent a long time thinking about whether I would still CTB if that technology existed, and I ended up deciding that I would.

Living in that virtual world would simply be a distraction/crutch, and personally for me, a life that is dependent on a crutch is not worth it.

Of course, fully transcending one's body in a true consciousness transfer would be pretty cool, no? Likely may never occur in actuality but I doubt anyone would turn it down if the technology were at their fingertips. In that episode, they actually die in the flesh and continue to live the virtual existence.

Reactions: Caerula and El Topo
Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018

San Junipero stands out because it's the only episode that has a happy ending lol. I don't know if you like music videos, but this virtually the same concept:

El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
Of course, fully transcending one's body in a true consciousness transfer would be pretty cool, no? Likely may never occur in actuality but I doubt anyone would turn it down if the technology were at their fingertips. In that episode, they actually die in the flesh and continue to live the virtual existence.

Oh... I must've missed that. (I was probably high while watching it lol) I thought the virtual world was something they were visiting for fun because they were old/sick. I didn't realize they were "permanently" uploaded into it.

I'm extremely skeptical of transhumanism, but even if this technology existed, I don't think I would go with it. One reason is that I don't believe that human consciousness can be translated into code, so anything that's uploaded would be like a corrupted computer file. But the main reason is that I believe in life after death, and I think it will be infinitely more interesting than any simulation humans can come up with.

El Topo

El Topo

(---)
Apr 21, 2018
On a related note, two really good sci-fi movies that deal with somewhat related concepts are Dark City and The Thirteenth Floor.

Reactions: Caerula and Luke