snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
Hey I saw a post here saying that SN was essentially illegal in the US, and did some digging because I was worried about that. I am not ready to buy SN yet because it has a shelf life of 3ish years before it turns into Nitrate or whatnot, but am worried that I won't be able to buy it in the future.

Despite what a quick Google search will say about the YPPA making SN illegal, the YPPA hasn't been passed yet. It was introduced in July of this year, but is still in. Its proposal stage, no approval from senate/house/president yet. I have no doubt that this bill will be passed eventually, nobody in government is going to suggest otherwise, that would be political suicide, it's just a matter of when.

You can track it here

tl;dr just a PSA that you can still obtain SN legally in the US and clearing up any misconceptions

hunterfla

hunterfla

Experienced
Sep 13, 2022
It's not illegal, nor is anyone seeking to make it "illegal" currently. The proposal is to restrict sales of 10%+ purity to individuals. Higher purity will still be available to businesses, food producers, etc.

Reactions: squirley
snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
It's not illegal, nor is anyone seeking to make it "illegal" currently. The proposal is to restrict sales of 10%+ purity to individuals. Higher purity will still be available to businesses, food producers, etc.
Anything below 10% purity isn't useful though. Amazon still sells curing salt even though all their 98%+ SN has been removed from site. I mean, if it's only available to businesses, food producers, etc then wouldn't the individual that's buying be breaking the law? Or just the seller? Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way obtaining SN would become significantly harder if this were to pass.

hunterfla

hunterfla

Experienced
Sep 13, 2022
Significantly harder for an individual to purchase for ctb, but that's different than saying SN is illegal.

Reactions: snowcloud9 and squirley
squareminus1

squareminus1

Aug 12, 2023
Hey I saw a post here saying that SN was essentially illegal in the US, and did some digging because I was worried about that. I am not ready to buy SN yet because it has a shelf life of 3ish years before it turns into Nitrate or whatnot, but am worried that I won't be able to buy it in the future.

Despite what a quick Google search will say about the YPPA making SN illegal, the YPPA hasn't been passed yet. It was introduced in July of this year, but is still in. Its proposal stage, no approval from senate/house/president yet. I have no doubt that this bill will be passed eventually, nobody in government is going to suggest otherwise, that would be political suicide, it's just a matter of when.

You can track it here

tl;dr just a PSA that you can still obtain SN legally in the US and clearing up any misconceptions
I think in some places it also constitutes as an explosive precursor which further tightens regulations, from a quick look you need a liscense to get it in the uk to prove your not doing anything bad with it. Though I think that might only apply to large quantities, I'm not yet sure if it applies to small ones.