F

fuzzy-clown

Experienced
Nov 27, 2022
Is it possible to CTB this way?

Girl, 8, Orphaned After Gas From Rotting Potatoes Killed Her Entire Family

An eight-year-old girl found the bodies of her parents, brother and grandmother in a basement after they were poisoned by gas from rotting potatoes.
A Russian news agency reports that eight-year-old Maria Chelysheva's family were killed one by one after entering a cellar where they stored potatoes for the winter. Relatives are caring for the orphaned girl.
Her father, Mikhail, 42, was first to enter the cellar, not realising the potatoes had become seriously rotten.
He fainted from the noxious fumes, and soon afterwards died, police said. When he failed to re-appear, his worried wife Anastasia, 38, went to look for him in the dark and was also overcome by the poisonous gas.
Next the couple's 18 year old son Georgy went in search of his parents, only to suffer the same tragic fate as his mother and father after inhaling the highly toxic fumes.
Anastasia's mother Iraida, 68, called a neighbour to say there was something suspicious and to plead for help.
But before assistance arrived, she also went into the cellar, suffocated from the gas, and collapsed and died like the others, say police.It is understood that as she went in, she left the door open, allowing the fumes to disperse.
When Maria entered the cellar, she found the bodies of her whole family on the cellar floor.
The shocking case was at Laishevo, a town near Kazan, in the Russian republic of Tatarstan on the Volga River.
"They all died of gas poisoning which has accumulated in the basement as a result of badly rotting potatoes," said a local investigator.
"The poor girl found the bodies of the deceased."

SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I imagine one would need a whole lot of potatoes and an isolated place, because the smell is probably atrocious, and you don't want to be there untill they are fully rotten and there is enough gas.
But I mean you could always try this method instead, very similar and easier to achieve - not sure about the success rate tho:

I fucking loved this show btw :haha:

Reactions: reclaimedbynature
C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
Wow that's a horrible fate for the family.

As for your question, I found these:

old.reddit.com/r/foodsafety/comments/14tqlsp/how_toxic_is_the_gas_from_rotten_potatoes/

old.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/kgjic1/til_rotting_potatoes_give_off_a_noxious_gas_that/

Claims are that the rotten potatoes primarily release carbon dioxide and perhaps some solanine.

The family might have stored the potatoes in a poorly-ventilated room, and the potatoes having rotten for a while might have caused the carbon dioxide levels in ambient air to skyrocket. The solanine might have played a significant role too.

Also, the smell of the rotten potatoes must have been horrible, put mildly.

Reactions: reclaimedbynature
MyChoiceAlone

MyChoiceAlone

sleep deprived and/or drunk
Jul 23, 2023
Also, the smell of the rotten potatoes must have been horrible, put mildly.
i made the mistake of leaving potatoes in a plastic bag and forgetting that i bought them. they liquified. one of the worst things i ever smelled. i don't know how i didn't puke throwing them out.

• Yay!
Reactions: garbagepunk
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
No, because there's too much potential for collateral damage even if you somehow managed to replicate a lethal environment, and we don't know exactly what happened in that basement. If it can somehow kill you, it could kill whomever found you first too, since the environment would be even worse in the period after you died.

Even If you could eat rotten potatoes that are oozing liquid, which would be the most efficient way to poison yourself with them while minimizing the risk to others, I wouldn't attempt that. You would have to work out what a lethal dosage is and then ensure you consumed all of them. There's only been around 30 deaths in 2000+ cases of solanine poisoning between 1865 and 1983.

• Informative
Reactions: SmollMushroom
garbagepunk

garbagepunk

May 21, 2023
suicide by potatoes... sounds interesting lol

• Yay!
Reactions: divinemistress36
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
You'd be better off fermenting them into potato vodka and drinking yourself to death

• Yay!
Reactions: rozeske and divinemistress36