L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
U.S Supreme Court overturns ruling that granted nationwide abortion rights in the US

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: mongoose23, bed, littlelungs and 23 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Because of course. What a sucky ruling. Wtf. What was the justification?

Reactions: mediocre and DynamicDepression
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
what bunch of fucking idiots when did we all become a bunch of slaves

Reactions: bed, littlelungs, Capsaicin78 and 8 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
Fucking supreme court... That's a bunch of bullshit that they did this. So many more unwanted kids are going to be born into the world now and most of them will end up here like we did after reaching adulthood, all because they couldn't be aborted. The worst part is, forced pregnancy has the potential to kill a lot of women too, even the ones who still want to live.

Pro-lifers like to pretend they're the heroes, but most of them are just pro-birth. They like to preach about how unwanted kids can be adopted, but how many of them will ever actually step up and adopt unwanted kids? Not enough to make a difference, I can guarantee that.

• Aww..
Reactions: bed, Zzzzz, littlelungs and 21 others
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
Basically, they said there was no right to abortion in the US constitution. The matter will now be a states issue. So it's not like a nationwide ban. Still a very bad ruling.

• Aww..
Reactions: Mriwantdie, obafgkm, onlyanimalsaregood and 2 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Prank Sneaking GIF by Jarritos

I feel like the people behind this are rubbing their hands "Yes... gooooood... more suffering... I'm afraid your abortion laws will be quite inoperable when your friends arrive."

This is just more suffering that could be easily avoided just by giving people choice and control over their own lives and bodies.

• Love
Reactions: Zzzzz, littlelungs, ShornSoloists and 12 others
A

absolute

May 7, 2022
The USA is a great country but this is totally fucked up. It is like going backwards.

Reactions: Mriwantdie, onlyanimalsaregood, NobodyKnowsMe and 2 others
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
This sets a terrible precedent for the future. Everything we have considered for granted in the last few years, every step of progress we have made is up to debate again. This could involve discussions about womens rights, racial justice and minority protection. This is a very concerning development.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: bed, ShornSoloists, Cold and 26 others
C

ConstantPain

Sorry but cats are so much better than people
Jun 9, 2022
This is absolutely disgusting and anti-american! Our fucking religious "Supreme" Court is unforgivable and no longer legitimate. I am not in the least ashamed to say that I had an abortion when I was 19 and never regretted it. It was the right thing for me to do! To think back and know that in a lot of states that right will no longer exist is terrifying.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Foresight, chloramine, mediocre and 5 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
U.S Supreme Court overturns ruling that granted nationwide abortion rights in the US

The discussion about the subject matter has been held within this community before, but I would like to add another point.

The more babies who are aborted, the less chance the left-wing progressives have in influencing the minds of the upcoming generations. In other words, they are outbreeding themselves and their values.

This is not meant as critique against abortion or the left-wing progressives, but merely to make a point that I believe that the USA will turn even more right-wing in the future.

To the issue at hand, though - would it be possible for someone to suggest a new law, which would make abortion legal, to congress and have them pass it?

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: waitingforrest
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Another big win for pro-suffering terrorists 🙃

• Aww..
Reactions: Zzzzz, Buffy5120, Sarros and 9 others
Tortured Existence

Tortured Existence

Alone till the end
May 18, 2022
The Supreme Court needs no justification. It's all ideological, theocratic bullshit 😡. The amount of suffering in the US will reach a whole new level. Pro-life=Pro-Suffering.

Reactions: LastFlowers, Zzzzz, Bigpink and 6 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
Prank Sneaking GIF by Jarritos

I feel like the people behind this are rubbing their hands "Yes... gooooood... more suffering... I'm afraid your abortion laws will be quite inoperable when your friends arrive."

This is just more suffering that could be easily avoided just by giving people choice and control over their own lives and bodies.

That pineapple mask though! :pfff: I kinda want one now.

• Love
Reactions: archipelago, waitingforrest and rationaltake
l0stc4use

l0stc4use

lonely
May 6, 2022
it's stupid how they ban abortion then want to go after contraceptives next.

• Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: Someone123, archipelago, chloramine and 7 others
Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
it's stupid how they ban abortion then want to go after contraceptives next.

I hate to think of what they might do after that. Will they take voting rights away from women? Bring back Biblically sanctioned slavery? Maybe while they're at it, they'll make abortions mandatory in cases of alleged adultery like they were in the Bronze Age, when the Old Testament was written. If they can ban it, they can make it mandatory whenever it suits their political agenda.

• Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, DynamicDepression, LittleJem and 2 others
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
This absolutely sucks, although nothing much will look different on the ground for a while yet. Most of the states where abortion is now banned had few or no actual operating clinics anyway. Not that this is okay, it's just a familiar kind of bad.

What I'm more concerned about in the short term is the fact that the Roe decision was an early case that recognized a right to privacy under the U.S. Constitution. I think the case about birth control was the actual first one. This would be really poor timing for us to suddenly discover we have no right to privacy, what with cameras staring us in the face 24/7. Depending on how this all plays out, we may lose only Roe. That's actually the best possible scenario. We might also lose a whole stack of other decisions, particularly decisions surrounding sexual freedom, which were partly built on Roe's foundation. This kind of shit is why people usually choose to leave older court decisions alone.

What I'm really trying to avoid is spending the rest of the day reading today's decision, then reading the Roe decision, and then trying to guesstimate how much case law is at risk because it's built directly on top of Roe. I was really trying not to get drunk today. I am currently re-evaluating that decision.

In the slightly longer term, I think this will not actually go the way the Republicans had in mind. Thanks to certain ex-presidents whose name I'm just bored of saying, plus a bizarrely perverse Senate majority leader, the Republican brand has become two things: being anti-abortion, and being batshit insane. The RNC's literal entire platform for the 2020 election was "Anything President Batshit says." They signed on, as a party, with a dude who suggested on live TV that people could heal themselves from covid by injecting bleach or possibly getting sunshine on the inside of their bodies. I need to find a screenshot of Fauci's face when Mr. "I'm president, wheee!" said that shit about internal sunshine. It was priceless. Probably a better illustration of my username than the Archer pic, honestly.

Anyway, the number of people who will vote for Republican candidates due to beliefs about abortion is a lot larger than the number of people who prefer to vote for someone who is batshit insane. A lot of the Republicans' base are these exact single-issue anti-abortion voters, who so far have been willing to hold their nose and vote for absolutely anyone who promised to get rid of abortion. Will the folks who only care about that one thing still show up in their famed droves if abortion is off the table at the federal level? I actually don't think they will. This will hit congressional and "downticket" Republicans the hardest. There are plenty of things religious conservatives and I differ on, including whether I exist or should be allowed to exist. Most conservative religious people are not literally crazy, however. I don't think it gives them joy to pull the lever for politicians of the orange shitgibbon's caliber. Maybe now they don't have to anymore.

Not that the Democrats deserve anybody's vote either, because they don't. These are the people who have "cared about reproductive health" so hard for the last 50 years that exactly zero laws were passed safeguarding the thing they claim to care about.

This is a midterm election year, and while the party that holds the White House usually loses congressional seats during midterm elections, I think the Democrats will do better than expected. Perhaps quite a bit better. This would please me more if I had any confidence they intended to do anything remotely useful. No one really sets out to vote for a Democrat. You just sort of get pushed into it by process of elimination. (For people in other nations who wisely choose not to follow U.S. news, we only have two viable political parties. They are both terrible.)

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, milly, chloramine and 5 others
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
I am not in USA but just want to say I hate America right now. I know this is reductionist but this disgusting decision is all I can think about and I just need to sleep.

Out of all the shit things in the world, this has led to me thinking there is no hope for this world at all if stupid decisions get made by this.

I hope those that made this decision burn in hell. If there is such a thing.

• Hugs
Reactions: absolute, tryingtoescape, archipelago and 3 others
A

ayb

"I'd feel trapped if I couldn't CTB at any time."
Feb 15, 2019
Just a reminder that virtually all anti-abortion organizations are anti-assisted suicide and euthanasia as well.

If you aren't pro-choice you shouldn't be on this site. Go hump the bible and Yeshua's zombie corpse elsewhere. Christianity is a scourge.

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, self.destractive, Zzzzz and 17 others
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
Here is a list of providers who will perform sterilizations on consenting adults, no or few questions asked, without gatekeeping along lines of, "too young," "no / too few children already," "questions about your sexual orientation," or things like that. There are both recommendations linked in the OP and in the comments below, and advice for assembling a binder / folder of documents to bring with you to present your case to a doctor (shouldn't be necessary but unfortunately sometimes that's what it takes)

Here is a continually updated masterdoc on state laws, "sanctuary" states, travel / transportation help, other forms of long-lasting implanted contraception, and accessing abortion pills:

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: 𖣴 nadia 𖣴, deleted, JinZhin and 9 others
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
This sets a terrible precedent for the future. Everything we have considered for granted in the last few years, every step of progress we have made is up to debate again. This could involve discussions about womens rights, racial justice and minority protection. This is a very concerning development.
I'm worried too. I'm scarred that they might start to go after more and more minorities. Just how far will they go?

Reactions: chloramine
Sibyl Vane

Sibyl Vane

Experienced
May 28, 2022
I didn't get the chance to read the full document yet, but my preliminary take on this is that the supreme court should stick to its primary function of analyzing the constitutionality of laws. It's not its job to legislate or to perform judicial activism to either side. The states with the power given by the people through their legislators should be responsible for that decision. If you are not satisfied with the path your state is taking is your job to elect better representatives next time that align more with your morals and views. Hopefully, this decision (on top of many others) helps to solidify the importance of the vote in people's heads, regardless of the side you fall into.

• Yay!
Reactions: obafgkm, Lost in a Dream, deleted and 1 other person
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
The discussion about the subject matter has been held within this community before, but I would like to add another point.

The more babies who are aborted, the less chance the left-wing progressives have in influencing the minds of the upcoming generations. In other words, they are outbreeding themselves and their values.

This is not meant as critique against abortion or the left-wing progressives, but merely to make a point that I believe that the USA will turn even more right-wing in the future.

To the issue at hand, though - would it be possible for someone to suggest a new law, which would make abortion legal, to congress and have them pass it?
I hope they next generations will be okay. I can see your point though, the USA becoming more extereme in the future. I hope it's not the case but it seems to be heading there.

odradek

odradek

Mage
Sep 16, 2021
The US is dominated by minority rule, this is such a stark example. A small evangelical minority usurped decades of precedent for some perverse religious ideal that is completely divorced from reality. That's pretty fucked. How long until the American Inquisition?

I've tried all my life to understand what motivates people I disagree with. It's examples like this that prove it's a futile exercise. Maybe. But wow, beyond satire, the era continues...

• Love
Reactions: LastFlowers, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴, tryingtoescape and 5 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
This is gonna fuck up a lot of lives. It's amazing how some ppl care more about unborn children than children who are already born and suffering. Not everyone has the means to take care of a child. Not everyone is financially,mentally, and physically stable. And even if said person did meet these qualifications to have a kid it should still be they're choice whether or not they want to embark on this life changing decision.

Reactions: LastFlowers, ShornSoloists, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and 9 others
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
What I'm more concerned about in the short term is the fact that the Roe decision was an early case that recognized a right to privacy under the U.S. Constitution. I think the case about birth control was the actual first one.
Yes. Thomas wrote an opinion mentioning that Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell should also be reconsidered... That's birth control, same-sex relations, and marriage equality.
Will the folks who only care about that one thing still show up in their famed droves if abortion is off the table at the federal level? I actually don't think they will. This will hit congressional and "downticket" Republicans the hardest.
It hasn't yet been addressed at the federal level. I guess that's probably next and is probably the way that they WILL keep getting into office: the promise to make it illegal at the federal level.

Last edited:
Reactions: RainAndSadness and chloramine
Sibyl Vane

Sibyl Vane

Experienced
May 28, 2022
@Cathy Ames Did I say something funny? I'm trying to laugh too :))

Last edited:
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I'm lucky that I don't ever need to worry about getting an abortion, or have a partner that would need to worry about getting one. But it's stuff like this that only adds to my overall disdain for the USA in general.

Reactions: ConstantPain
not-2-b-the-answer

not-2-b-the-answer

Archangel
Mar 23, 2018
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: chloramine and ConstantPain
C

ConstantPain

Sorry but cats are so much better than people
Jun 9, 2022
Can't stop thinking about this and how irate, heartbroken, sickened, anxious, depressed, pissed, and devastated I am. I used to be a case manager for youth who didn't have homes and later, for adults and families experiencing homelessness. It brings tears to my eyes knowing how these most vulnerable people (primarily girls and women but can be any gender) in our society will be the worst impacted. And of course, the additional unwanted, tragic lives created...there are no words

Other than vote, I've been trying to figure out what I can do to help. How is it that we need a new type of underground railroad and it's fucking 2022?!

And for sure, more assaults on rights are yet the come. 😥

• Aww..
Reactions: LastFlowers, ShornSoloists, 𖣴 nadia 𖣴 and 9 others