• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

C

cazwiz

Feb 25, 2020
I did that thing where you send your therapist your thoughts and wind up getting yourself into a risk assessment. I fear getting sectioned, it would ruin any chance at recovering. For me, having a suicide plan gives me a sense of control and relief. I would hate to have that turned against me. What should I expect in this assessment? I'm torn between being honest and risking the information and control I've been obtaining vs covering up and saying all the right things to stay out of hospital yet keeping her in the dark. Why is the mental health profession so against us acquiring info and making informed decisions on our options and choices? It feels like it's all about liability for them. Suicide is often labelled as a selfish act, but it seems more selfish to me for a therapist to rib you of your liberty to protect their career?

Reactions: nerve
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Here is what i posted when another member asked a similar question...

I've had the full assessment.
They can section you from that if they wish. They should be reluctant to though because it's a hassle and they lack beds.
They will be looking for three things to section you.

That you are suicidal.
That you have a plan.
That you intend to use the plan.

If you tick all three boxes they may section you. Or if you can be seen to lack mental capacity or be a danger to someone else.

That was my experience at least. I can't guarantee how it will work in your situation.

They may offer you a voluntary stay on a psych ward. Technically you can leave any time you wish and don't have to take any medication.
However in the real world.they may often insist you stay and take the drugs and if you don't I've heard of cases where they then section you because you didn't comply so you must lack mental capacity because they know best. Funny, huh?

Good luck getting what you need out of the appointment. I understand the need to be honest but also to be cautious.

Marktheghost

Marktheghost

Paragon
Feb 20, 2020
How about telling them you've got a plan, but not telling them what the plan is?

M

Moonomyth

Student
Feb 6, 2020
You're right to think of it as a liability risk, and I have had psychiatrists tell me that in those specific terms. I don't fault them for protecting their own jobs in a system that incentivizes that behavior, but it's not pleasant when you're the one suffering because of those.

Some elements of risk assessment are out of your control - I was assessed as higher risk because of my level of education. Nothing I could do about it. You may want to conceal or downplay the seriousness of suicide plans and kits. The following link is meant for the American inpatient system but its approach to how you discuss your suicidal thoughts and plans may be useful to you here: https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/03/22/navigating-and-or-avoiding-the-inpatient-mental-health-system/

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
You're right to think of it as a liability risk, and I have had psychiatrists tell me that in those specific terms. I don't fault them for protecting their own jobs in a system that incentivizes that behavior, but it's not pleasant when you're the one suffering because of those.

Some elements of risk assessment are out of your control - I was assessed as higher risk because of my level of education. Nothing I could do about it. You may want to conceal or downplay the seriousness of suicide plans and kits. The following link is meant for the American inpatient system but its approach to how you discuss your suicidal thoughts and plans may be useful to you here: https://slatestarcodex.com/2018/03/22/navigating-and-or-avoiding-the-inpatient-mental-health-system/
That was a really interesting and earnestly written article, especially the bit about the reality of voluntary cf involuntary commitment.